Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

How mobile has your family been?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 04-03-20, 01:57 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Volae Team, '83 Bianchi Nuovo Racing v2,'74ish Windsor Carrera Sport, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 118 Posts

I was in a meeting the other day, and the ice-breaker question was "how long have you lived here?". I was surprised at the number of people who not only had lived here (Oregon) for their whole lives, but who's parents and grandparents had as well.

I've lived here two years, Texas for one before that. I grew up in Indiana but even there moved across the state. My parents moved around the country, settling in the midwest. Both of them moved away after divorce/retirement. Grandparents and further generations moved less, but even further back it seems we've been moving around.

Which makes me wonder, is this a family thing?
Old 04-03-20, 02:19 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 770 Times in 522 Posts
I want to deport some of my family out of The Republic Of Texas.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 04-03-20, 02:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 3491 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 648 Posts
Very mobile. I attended at least 14 different schools by the time I graduated from high school -- possibly more, I know we switched schools and entire states twice in some school years.

My mom was a gypsy, minus the Roma heritage -- although there may have been some Irish Traveler in the family tree. Her mother wouldn't discuss their real genealogy -- the usual Texas mishmash of Irish, Euro-mutt and Native American -- and tried to claim they were English descendants. Umm... no. Her maiden name was very Irish.

Anyway, mom never liked to stay anywhere for long. Before age and infirmity finally slowed her down, best I can guess she lived in more than 100 different homes, rental homes and apartments. For years I'd expect that phone call, mom angrily declaring "THAT'S IT, I'M LEAVING!" When she was younger she'd do it all herself, just leaving behind stuff she didn't want to haul. But as she got older she'd expect everyone to help her pack and move. For awhile she drove an old VW bus, set up for camping with her dogs, or just running away from life.

After her multiple fall related injuries to her back, etc., she moved into an apartment complex for seniors and disabled folks. It was a pretty good place. I told her this was it, no more moves. She continued to move, but only within that apartment complex, from unit to unit. I've seen other former neighbors do the same thing, usually people struggling with bipolar disorder. Sometimes they'd move out to "someplace better," or to live with family. They'd be back within a year. Lather, rinse, repeat.

My brother didn't mind. Drove me nuts. I hate to move. I'm more like my grandparents on my dad's side. I like to stay put and travel a bit to visit, but not physically move at whim. I've been in the same apartment for going on 14 years now. Suits me. I've lived in enough places, especially when I was in the military, to understand that there is no perfect place free of occasional stresses with neighbors.

My grandparents and their siblings were the last generation on either side of my family to have a stable marriage to the same partner. My paternal grandparents had a stable home base for generations. The extended family revolved around that. After they died the extended family network came apart.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-03-20, 02:31 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn "Speedster" Willy

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 470 Posts
My father's side has records of immigrating into New York around 1810 and migrating to Kansas, Oklahoma, and by the early 1960s, Texas.

My mother's side came from the South to Texas in the mid to late 1860s and all records before Texas were lost. Probably a Civil War/Reconstruction situation there.

Once both sides have made it to Texas, most of us have stayed here. There are a lot of job opportunities here. Most college grads in the family that move away for work, have come back as soon as they are able. Same with those that went into the military.

Last edited by FiftySix; 04-03-20 at 02:47 PM. Reason: same ol' same ol'
Old 04-03-20, 02:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 11510 Post(s)
Liked 2,693 Times in 1,559 Posts
We moved around a lot when I was younger. Every time someone saw my face on a milk carton, we'd pack up and find somewhere new.
Old 04-03-20, 06:36 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 97 Posts
I wasn't born here, but I cant remember living anywhere else but California. Except for three years in the San Francisco Bay area, its all been in the Los Angeles area, and 8 different addresses. Parents are from the U.K via Canada.
Old 04-03-20, 07:22 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 4489 Post(s)
Liked 1,033 Times in 622 Posts
I went to one grade school, one middle school, and one high school. I've never lived in a house more than 25 miles from the hospital in which I was born. I've lived on the same street for 29 years.

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.
Old 04-03-20, 07:41 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
I went to one grade school, one middle school, and one high school. I've never lived in a house more than 25 miles from the hospital in which I was born. I've lived on the same street for 29 years.
Pretty close to the same here. I have lived in the same house for 25 years. Before that, I lived in an apartment about 6 miles from this house for approx 10 years. Before all of that, a few apartments in-between, I grew up about 6 miles from where I am now. If you included all the places I've lived and drew a circle around them, that circle would probably only be 8-9 miles in diameter.
Old 04-03-20, 09:13 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 142 Posts
I've just lived across NYS, Born in New Rochelle, moved to Baldwinsville outside syracuse, then Sterling off SE shore of Lake Ontario, Albany, Rochester, Wolcott, back to Sterling for some godawful reason, and now Oceanside in Long Island. I plan to stay here a few more years but 5 year plan sees me anywhere from the Hudson Valley, Ohio, Maryland, PA and a couple other places conducive to my lifestyle.
Old 04-04-20, 12:06 AM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 301 Posts
I only had one main, Grenoble, and one second, Gordes, home growing up but i went to a primary school in Westmount, Quebec for 3 years and then my secondary school in Paris. Besides colleges i’ve only also lived here in the beach area of west L.A. and in the same place and working with the same company for 9 years now. I like feeling settled in….
Old 04-04-20, 05:21 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 1358 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 182 Posts
I think it's just a mentality thing and not genetics that makes you feel the need to stay or move.
As a young adult I would hear people saying they couldn't wait to get out of this town. But I was having so much fun I didn't understand why they would say that. It's like if you're unhappy here you still take yourself wherever you go and probably will end up unhappy there.
I had so much fun and got in so much fun trouble in my hometown that I've never felt the need to leave.
The comfort, love, and support of my parents also could've been a determining factor for me staying here.
Admittedly I haven't traveled much in my lifetime but sometimes when I'm alone with my thoughts and my wife is sweetly sleeping beside me I think, there is no other place I'd rather be in the World.....ok maybe Hawaii.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 04-04-20, 06:51 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Reminds me, texaspandj , you might have heard my brother on KWTX back in the 1980s. He was a broadcast communications major at Baylor and a DJ and later station manager at KWTX, up until the early 1990s. I think he went by just his initials, TJ, back then. Might have been something silly like TJ Hammer, or maybe that was another station later. I know he worked another station along the Gulf Coast for awhile too, Alabama or Mississippi.

I used to call and put on a fake accent, like an old man, to harass him on air when I was driving through that area on business. I'd bug him to play Lightning Hopkins or Blind Boy Fuller. KWTX was pretty much a Top 40 station then. Usually I could fool him for a few seconds before he'd catch on and string it along for awhile to use for laughs on the show later -- it was all recorded, not directly live.

It was probably my requests for the blues that was the giveaway. He was mostly into punk and new wave, nothing his station would actually play. Other than Hendrix we had totally different tastes in music.

Anyway, back on topic, he was more comfortable with moving. Goes with the job in radio and TV. Very little stability or security in that field. With radio in particular they'd change station managers and formats every year or two, usually firing the entire staff at the same time. My mom worked in radio and TV too, so they had the temperament for that sort of thing. I didn't.
Old 04-04-20, 08:01 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 184 Posts
Not to go too off topic, but the thread also brings up the question as to why people move a lot. Surely employment can be a major factor. But I've always found it interesting how some people just get up and move. I've known several people who decided that their fate and fortune awaited them in another State, But once you peel away the new zip code their lives seem to be the same. I've always believed that what some people call "moving", is just an act of running away from something.
Old 04-04-20, 08:32 AM
texaspandj

uQUOTE=canklecat;21399954]Reminds me, texaspandj , you might have heard my brother on KWTX back in the 1980s. He was a broadcast communications major at Baylor and a DJ and later station manager at KWTX, up until the early 1990s. I think he went by just his initials, TJ, back then. Might have been something silly like TJ Hammer, or maybe that was another station later. I know he worked another station along the Gulf Coast for awhile too, Alabama or Mississippi.

I used to call and put on a fake accent, like an old man, to harass him on air when I was driving through that area on business. I'd bug him to play Lightning Hopkins or Blind Boy Fuller. KWTX was pretty much a Top 40 station then. Usually I could fool him for a few seconds before he'd catch on and string it along for awhile to use for laughs on the show later -- it was all recorded, not directly live.

It was probably my requests for the blues that was the giveaway. He was mostly into punk and new wave, nothing his station would actually play. Other than Hendrix we had totally different tastes in music.

Anyway, back on topic, he was more comfortable with moving. Goes with the job in radio and TV. Very little stability or security in that field. With radio in particular they'd change station managers and formats every year or two, usually firing the entire staff at the same time. My mom worked in radio and TV too, so they had the temperament for that sort of thing. I didn't.[/QUOTE]
Yeah in the '80s I was listening mostly top 40 so I probably heard your brother but like you said a high turn over rate in radio. I don't remember him exactly however I would likely remember his dj voice if I heard it. By late '80s though I was back to listening to KKDA out of grand prairie.
Accents? I remember we had corresponded through PMs and when I actually met you in person I tried to talk with an English accent which comes out Not "terribly British" but more working class...very close to australian. However I could only get a sentence out before I broke into laughter. You were puzzled, when I tried to explain that I was trying to trick you , I think I just confused you more. I thought it would be funny me having a english accent considering I'm always talking about Texas.
Back on topic. I guess I'm just a homebody.

Last edited by texaspandj; 04-04-20 at 08:39 AM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 04-04-20, 10:16 AM
Will G

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
My dad was in the Air Force and I entered the Air Force so I've moved a lot. Pennsylvania, Florida, Florida again, England, Arkansas, Arkansas again, Mississippi, New Mexico, Arizona, Alaska, South Carolina, Mississippi again, Louisiana, and finally Texas.
Old 04-04-20, 11:24 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn "Speedster" Willy

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 470 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
Not to go too off topic, but the thread also brings up the question as to why people move a lot. Surely employment can be a major factor. But I've always found it interesting how some people just get up and move. I've known several people who decided that their fate and fortune awaited them in another State, But once you peel away the new zip code their lives seem to be the same. I've always believed that what some people call "moving", is just an act of running away from something.
I know someone that moves and changes their phone number so frequently, I figure he is running from bill collectors. This guy moves from state to state, job to job, and marriage to marriage. He's been married at least 5 times with the last 4 marriages lasting less than a year each. Silly bastige fathered a child (now 4 y.o.) with the last marriage while in his upper 40s and he split from that marriage, too. His other two children from his first marriage are in their upper 20s and he left them with his parents to raise from middle school age and up.

Last edited by FiftySix; 04-04-20 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-04-20, 11:28 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
I know someone that moves and changes their phone number so frequently, I figure he is running from bill collectors. This guy moves from state to state, job to job, and marriage to marriage. He's been married at least 5 times with the last 4 marriages lasting less than a year each.
Man-garden hoe. I bet one day it might catch up with him
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 04-04-20, 06:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
Sometimes moving and starting over really does help some folks.

I know people from dysfunctional families and surroundings who moved away and thrived elsewhere. And some who moved back and quickly deteriorated.

That's also true of people struggling with addiction. Sometimes it's better to get away from the environment and "friends" who enable the addiction.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-04-20, 08:06 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 3103 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 196 Posts
I've lived in 24 places (I think) plus spent periods of time travelling or living "wherever" with my stuff in storage.

I've lived in many places throughout 4 Canadian provinces and 2 Australian states ... and have spent time wandering through parts of Asia, Europe and the US.
Old 04-04-20, 09:10 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
I think it's just a mentality thing and not genetics that makes you feel the need to stay or move.
As a young adult I would hear people saying they couldn't wait to get out of this town. But I was having so much fun I didn't understand why they would say that. It's like if you're unhappy here you still take yourself wherever you go and probably will end up unhappy there.
I had so much fun and got in so much fun trouble in my hometown that I've never felt the need to leave.
The comfort, love, and support of my parents also could've been a determining factor for me staying here.
Admittedly I haven't traveled much in my lifetime but sometimes when I'm alone with my thoughts and my wife is sweetly sleeping beside me I think, there is no other place I'd rather be in the World.....ok maybe Hawaii.
Maybe for some, but really some places can just be awful to live in. My parents moved us to Sterling, NY and I hated everything about the place, the isolation, the mentality of the people, the general ignorance, the crap educational standards; I really can't think of many redeeming qualities. When my wife and I were first looking for jobs she always imagined herself being a country girl, even though she was born in Rochester and raised in Atlanta, and we ended up living near near Sterling and through a series of incidents came to live back in Sterling. It was everything I remembered.
We had people telling up how nice it was to see us living in the house we were in; at first I thought they meant fixing it up but so many thought we were living in it. It had been abandoned for 15 years and set on fire once, it took 8 months to make it partially livable and we lived in an RV or at my parents while fixing it up, it wasn't great for 2 years but people thought it was wonderful.
We couldn't talk about the things we did with the kids with other parents; they talked about how they liked to go to the big city (Rochester or Syracuse) once a year to see something. We maintained 3 memberships each year to a Zoo, and a couple museums, either city was less then an hour drive so we took the kids weekly to see something and learn.
The parents thought my daughter had a wild imagination from talking about exciting adventures like dancing under a waterfall deep underground, or climbing cliffs, exploring ruins and things; they really couldn't imagine these were real things.
I put my daughter through kindergarten there and couldn't imagine putting her through another year there or my other kids after her. We packed up and moved for new jobs that summer and we only go back to see family once a year. My sister somehow has the same small minded imagination and loves it there with her redneck (his joyful view) husband, they have no ambition and never go anywhere and my parents love the isolation which is why they moved from the Bronx to White Plains to Baldwinsville to Sterling.
But I couldn't wait to leave Sterling, never wanted to go back and was very happy when my wife was more then happy to leave. Some people just don't have the mindset to live certain places or certain ways where others can be perfectly happy.
Old 04-04-20, 09:26 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by Russ Roth View Post
Maybe for some, but really some places can just be awful to live in. My parents moved us to Sterling, NY and I hated everything about the place, the isolation, the mentality of the people, the general ignorance, the crap educational standards; I really can't think of many redeeming qualities. When my wife and I were first looking for jobs she always imagined herself being a country girl, even though she was born in Rochester and raised in Atlanta, and we ended up living near near Sterling and through a series of incidents came to live back in Sterling. It was everything I remembered.
We had people telling up how nice it was to see us living in the house we were in; at first I thought they meant fixing it up but so many thought we were living in it. It had been abandoned for 15 years and set on fire once, it took 8 months to make it partially livable and we lived in an RV or at my parents while fixing it up, it wasn't great for 2 years but people thought it was wonderful.
We couldn't talk about the things we did with the kids with other parents; they talked about how they liked to go to the big city (Rochester or Syracuse) once a year to see something. We maintained 3 memberships each year to a Zoo, and a couple museums, either city was less then an hour drive so we took the kids weekly to see something and learn.
The parents thought my daughter had a wild imagination from talking about exciting adventures like dancing under a waterfall deep underground, or climbing cliffs, exploring ruins and things; they really couldn't imagine these were real things.
I put my daughter through kindergarten there and couldn't imagine putting her through another year there or my other kids after her. We packed up and moved for new jobs that summer and we only go back to see family once a year. My sister somehow has the same small minded imagination and loves it there with her redneck (his joyful view) husband, they have no ambition and never go anywhere and my parents love the isolation which is why they moved from the Bronx to White Plains to Baldwinsville to Sterling.
But I couldn't wait to leave Sterling, never wanted to go back and was very happy when my wife was more then happy to leave. Some people just don't have the mindset to live certain places or certain ways where others can be perfectly happy.
Yup I can relate but luckily I lived just outside a large city San Antonio around 2 million. Not NYC size but a city nonetheless. I would have fun making fun of the small minded rednecks essential pissing them off for my amusement. Ozzy Osbourne played San Antonio and I went. The next day at school I had my Ozzy concert shirt and still reeked of reefer This was back in 1982 and I got the Bible and Jesus thrown at me by some of the older teachers. Today I just live further out from San Antonio but it is different today. Anyways I lived In Pennsylvania and Ohio as a kid and I travel frequently. I have a degree from University Of Texas but the branch in San Antonio so I quit using my toes and fingers to do math
Old 04-05-20, 06:32 AM
texaspandj

WoW, I'm starting to think I was lucky and live in a good town....or maybe I just live in a Pollyanna state of mind.

Either way I just can't imagine having MORE fun than I had in another city. However I could see me having just as much fun somewhere else, but more? No.
Old 04-05-20, 07:03 AM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 301 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Sometimes moving and starting over really does help some folks.......
That's also true of people struggling with addiction. Sometimes it's better to get away from the environment and "friends" who enable the addiction.
and it's important for family and real friends to help get an addict into treatment and recovery
Old 04-07-20, 06:40 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 8153 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 515 Posts
My family... when I was young... not terribly mobile... we moved from the north to the south, to Texas, when I was in the second grade. That means I don't have an accent, but I do drop a few colloquialisms and slang now and then, and have a certain hankering for southern food.

I left Texas when I joined the Navy at 18, and went off to see the world... I later married a woman with wanderlust... and we have managed to wander about So Cal and the west coast for some 40 years or so, while making travels to different corners of the world for both business and pleasure.

We are currently at extreme ends of the west coast... living at both ends, depending on work and season. This after being at diametrically opposing corners of the country for a year.

Our son, on the other hand, was born, raised, and stays in San Diego, albeit has traveled a bit with us to Europe and Mexico, and on his own, to Panama.

Frankly, I believe all this travel gives one perspective... a better understanding of the world as a whole.

Oh, and due to all this travel, I have had the opportunity to ride bicycles in many different countries... have experienced vastly different treatments by drivers, and how cycling is encouraged (or not) in different areas.

Food experiences too... believe me, what Americans call Chinese food is NOT the food the Chinese eat...as just one example.

Last edited by genec; 04-07-20 at 06:48 AM.
Likes For genec:
Old 04-07-20, 06:56 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 204 Posts
NOT AT ALL! We have been have been on lockdown for 3 weeks, and we have plans to be on lockdown until May 1st and then go from there. My wife can work from anyplace there is internet. School is all online for the remainder of the year. My work is "paused" so I am not able to work. So we don't need to go anyplace ever.

We go for walks and bike rides when we can and play in the yard but that is it. I go get groceries every 10ish days but that is the only outside venturing I do and my family does none. We are not getting sick, we are determined to wait this out! I know we are lucky and blessed to be able to hide in our home and still live and survive financially, we are lucky that way no doubt. We are helping our community every way we can financially too. Just not doing hands on helping like we would normally do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.