Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Axle - How Much Thread Should Be Exposed Each Side Of The Locknut?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-20, 07:55 AM
erudite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've recently torn down my hubs to rebuild them and being a novice I didn't note how much thread should be exposed each side of the lock nuts.

Is there a general rule of thumb or is it dependent on the hub itself?
Old 04-04-20, 08:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Depends on how it fastens into the bike frame. Shall we guess what you have?
Old 04-04-20, 08:09 AM
erudite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
Depends on how it fastens into the bike frame. Shall we guess what you have?
They're fastened using quick release skewers.

Do you need any more information? Apologies for my lack of clarity it's my first time stripping down a bike and so I'm not sure exactly what information is needed to give an accurate answer.
Old 04-04-20, 08:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Just balance it out so about an equal amount is sticking out on either side of drop outs where the skewers clamp. You did keep track of the order the spacers and nuts went on didn't you?
Old 04-04-20, 08:29 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Do as indicated above. The most important aspect is to have enough threads (three or four?) to positively be engaged in the dropout, but not exceed its thickness. Usually the threads will encompass about 3/4 of the thickness of the dropout.
Old 04-04-20, 08:37 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
As mentioned the axle end usually sits just "below flush" WRT the drop out's outer face. The QR skewer has a conical spring that takes up some space. While the QR skewer usually has a shallow recessed pocket to let the spring nestle into this isn't the case always. If the QR end cap bottoms out on the spring, because the axle is sticking too far through the drop out, the wheel won't be properly secured. Andy
Old 04-04-20, 08:38 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
About 5mm is normal.
Old 04-04-20, 08:47 AM
erudite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
Just balance it out so about an equal amount is sticking out on either side of drop outs where the skewers clamp. You did keep track of the order the spacers and nuts went on didn't you?
​​​​​​Thank your for all your help, it really is appreciated.

You raise a very good point. I took this apart in a hurry back in the summer expecting to put it back together within a couple of days. Like an idiot I only left certain parts together in the order they came apart.
apart.

I've circled the parts I have that I am unsure of. Would it make sense that they fit to this side of this axle?

imgur .co m/a/YmH2V79 (excuse the spacing in the link, I can only post images or links once I hit 10 posts)
Old 04-04-20, 08:50 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

See this current thread (right now only a few below in the que) that speaks to the what goes where. https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ara-mixte.html Andy
Old 04-04-20, 08:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

If your chain rubs the rear stay or dropout when you get it all back together, you'll know you futched up the spacers on the axle.
Old 04-04-20, 09:10 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Well, first thing I do is make sure the exact same amount of threads & distance is sticking out on both sides. If you install a new longer axle you can wind up with too much length and skewers wont work. Or, too little length and wheel will not seat properly in dropouts. I've replaced & modified several rear hub axles. I'm not comfortable unless I got at least 4mm sticking out both sides. I like a wheel that is firmly attached inside the brackets. (You'll find out why this is so important when you climb out of the seat to pedal up a really steep hill).
Old 04-04-20, 09:20 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
About 5mm is normal.
5mm is pretty close.

Originally Posted by erudite
I've recently torn down my hubs to rebuild them and being a novice I didn't note how much thread should be exposed each side of the lock nuts.

Is there a general rule of thumb or is it dependent on the hub itself?
It’s too late now but when you repack the bearings, only take one side of the axle apart. You don’t need to remove the cones from both sides and, as you are finding, it makes you life harder to do so. The only reason to remove cones and locknuts is if you need to replace the axle.

If you are working on the rear wheel, work only on the nondrive side, i.e. left side of the wheel.

To put your axle back together, thread the axle, any spacers, and the lock nut onto one side. Measure about 5mm from the end to the axle to the locknut. Tighten the locknut down. After you put the bearings back, slide the axle through and assemble the other side. Adjust the bearings so that they roll freely and don’t have play, then measure the distance from the end of the axle to the locknut on the side you just put together. The two sides should be the same distance from the end of the axle to the locknut within about 0.5mm. If they aren’t, loosen both sides and recenter the axle.

Before you do the final adjustment, put the wheel in the frame without the skewer and ensure that the axle doesn’t go past the frame on either side. If it does recenter. If it doesn’t, finish the adjustment on the bearings.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-04-20, 10:49 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The general rule for quick release axles is that they are 11 mm (sometimes 10 mm) longer than the hub's over-locknut dimension (OLD). So, for a common 100 mm OLD front hub the axle is 111 mm, for a 130 mm OLD rear hub the axle is 141 mm, etc. That means the axle protrudes 5.5 mm from each locknut.
Old 04-05-20, 06:39 AM
erudite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
5mm is pretty close.

It’s too late now but when you repack the bearings, only take one side of the axle apart. You don’t need to remove the cones from both sides and, as you are finding, it makes you life harder to do so. The only reason to remove cones and locknuts is if you need to replace the axle.

If you are working on the rear wheel, work only on the nondrive side, i.e. left side of the wheel.

To put your axle back together, thread the axle, any spacers, and the lock nut onto one side. Measure about 5mm from the end to the axle to the locknut. Tighten the locknut down. After you put the bearings back, slide the axle through and assemble the other side. Adjust the bearings so that they roll freely and don’t have play, then measure the distance from the end of the axle to the locknut on the side you just put together. The two sides should be the same distance from the end of the axle to the locknut within about 0.5mm. If they aren’t, loosen both sides and recenter the axle.

Before you do the final adjustment, put the wheel in the frame without the skewer and ensure that the axle doesn’t go past the frame on either side. If it does recenter. If it doesn’t, finish the adjustment on the bearings.
Point noted, I'll make sure to remember this in future. I often fall foul of thinking only after I've started work on something.

Many thanks for the clear instructions. I'm going to give it a go this afternoon.
Old 04-05-20, 06:40 AM
erudite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
See this current thread (right now only a few below in the que) that speaks to the what goes where. Andy
Thank you Andy, I'll take a look.
Old 04-05-20, 07:52 AM
erudite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does the cone in the video attached look worn enough to warrant replacing it or does it look like it has plenty of life left in it?

I've replaced 3 out of 4 cones and thought this one was ok. Upon cleaning, it has a score mark in one place (shown in thevideo) and has been slightly smoothed by the bearings.

Video: https://imgur.com/a/kTVcq6y
Old 04-05-20, 09:27 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

The imaged cone is pretty well "used" and likely could have benefited from more frequent overhauls. If the cone is easily available I would replace it. If not then just reuse it and set the bearing a BCH loose after the QR is tightened. Andy