Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spoke heads sticking out of hub flange on new wheel...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-20, 01:46 PM
krecik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts

​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-14-21 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-04-20, 06:45 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
That looks to me like a steel hub flange. It's likely to be thinner. The spokes are designed to work with much more common aluminum hub flanges which are thicker. It is what it is.
Old 04-04-20, 08:18 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
At worst the spoke will be more likely to fatigue more quickly at their elbows. At best you'll still wonder about this after years of trouble free riding. If you really need a solution get a different wheel or relace this wheel with spoke washers like this wheel has. (An alloy shelled SA AW. But note that the flanges are about as thin as the steel ones that the OP showed). Andy
Old 04-04-20, 08:33 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
That wheel is what it is, an absolutely basic front wheel with a steel 3 piece hub. The thin steel flanges are the reason why the spoke heads look the way they look. Relacing using washers could improve the appearance but would do nothing to make the wheel last longer except that you might spend several times the original cost of the wheel to achieve that better appearance. If you want a better looking wheel, buy a better quality wheel
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 04-04-20, 08:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
That wheel is what it is, an absolutely basic front wheel with a steel 3 piece hub. The thin steel flanges are the reason why the spoke heads look the way they look. Relacing using washers could improve the appearance but would do nothing to make the wheel last longer except that you might spend several times the original cost of the wheel to achieve that better appearance. If you want a better looking wheel, buy a better quality wheel
While I agree with some of this reducing the spoke elbows from flexing/bending will improve the spoke life. How much and at what cost are the real questions to answer. Certainly buying an off the shelf wheel with a low cost alloy shell would cost less then a relacing with spoke washers. But if the question is about durability (and not cost) then adding washers will potentially achieve a longer spoke life. Whether a front wheel and spoke life are worth combining into a single question is another topic. Andy
Old 04-05-20, 01:15 AM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-14-21 at 09:17 AM.
Likes For krecik:
Old 04-05-20, 09:51 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by krecik
Not too interested in the appearance, I just wanted to know if it was out of the ordinary and if it was safe to ride.
My bet is that it will give you many miles.
Likes For Moe Zhoost: