Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Anyone using the TRP "Spyke" brake caliper??

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Anyone using the TRP "Spyke" brake caliper??

Old 03-30-20, 02:29 PM
  #1  
davei1980
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
davei1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: E Wa
Posts: 1,030

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 72 Posts
Anyone using the TRP "Spyke" brake caliper??

Anyone with first-hand knowledge of these?

They come to me highly recommended. I see they're WAY cheaper than Paul Components Klamper calipers. Unlike the Klamper they 1. take tools to adjust and 2. actuate both pads

The brakes my bike came with are entry-level Tektros which are a nightmare to get adjusted correctly because the only way to move the outter pad is by loosening the entire caliper and sliding it left or right, then the inner one has a threaded adjuster. Stupid design IMO.

Thanks for your feedback. I am not totally opposed to going hydrolic either, I just don't know if the care and feeding of a hydro system is something I am in to right now. Thanks again
davei1980 is offline  
Old 03-30-20, 05:38 PM
  #2  
qclabrat
Senior Member
 
qclabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,294
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Go with tried and true BB7s. Have two sets and they have been bomb proof. Don't get the BB5, they don't adjust like your current set
qclabrat is offline  
Likes For qclabrat:
Old 03-30-20, 10:45 PM
  #3  
katsup
Senior Member
 
katsup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 1991 Diamond Back Apex 91 Fuji Sundance 1989 Trek 970 Soma Fog Cutter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 115 Posts
You could get cable / hydro calipers. The Juin Tech M1 is one example.
katsup is offline  
Likes For katsup:
Old 03-31-20, 05:40 AM
  #4  
qclabrat
Senior Member
 
qclabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,294
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup View Post
You could get cable / hydro calipers. The Juin Tech M1 is one example.
Hope makes some thing like this as well, have you had personal experienc with the Juin? Seems like a new overseas company looking to fill a niche. Priced well
qclabrat is offline  
Likes For qclabrat:
Old 03-31-20, 09:49 AM
  #5  
katsup
Senior Member
 
katsup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 1991 Diamond Back Apex 91 Fuji Sundance 1989 Trek 970 Soma Fog Cutter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat View Post
Hope makes some thing like this as well, have you had personal experience with the Juin? Seems like a new overseas company looking to fill a niche. Priced well
I have the Juin Tech R1 (road version) on my Fog Cutter. They feel / stop better than the BB7 that were on my last bike. I've only been using them for about 600 miles, but they have given me no trouble. They don't stop as quickly as full hydro which I've had on mountain bikes.
katsup is offline  
Likes For katsup:
Old 04-04-20, 05:14 AM
  #6  
qclabrat
Senior Member
 
qclabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,294
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup View Post
I have the Juin Tech R1 (road version) on my Fog Cutter. They feel / stop better than the BB7 that were on my last bike. I've only been using them for about 600 miles, but they have given me no trouble. They don't stop as quickly as full hydro which I've had on mountain bikes.
Please follow up after a maintenance. Interested in the longevity
qclabrat is offline  
Old 04-05-20, 07:47 PM
  #7  
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,026
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980 View Post
Anyone with first-hand knowledge of these?

They come to me highly recommended. I see they're WAY cheaper than Paul Components Klamper calipers. Unlike the Klamper they 1. take tools to adjust and 2. actuate both pads

The brakes my bike came with are entry-level Tektros which are a nightmare to get adjusted correctly because the only way to move the outter pad is by loosening the entire caliper and sliding it left or right, then the inner one has a threaded adjuster. Stupid design IMO.

Thanks for your feedback. I am not totally opposed to going hydrolic either, I just don't know if the care and feeding of a hydro system is something I am in to right now. Thanks again
After some hydro frustrations last year, I considered going back to mechanical, and the Spykes were the ones I was thinking of. The fact that the Spykes move both pads takes care of the biggest drawback of the BB7s (and most other mechanicals). My one hesitation was that I have heard that the adjustments for the pads sometimes move, which kind of sucks.

I used BB7 mtb calipers for years and if you know how to keep them adjusted, they work great, in my experience. Yes, those Tektro calipers kinda suck. My Surly Wednesday came with Tektro calipers, and I replaced them with a set of old BB7s, and it was an improvement. The BB7s let you adjust both pads with knobs at the caliper.

If my XTs give me any more grief this coming season, I may have a set of Spykes in my future.

BTW, don't pay much attention to reviews in road versions of this or other mechanical brakes. MTB mechanicals work better than road mechanical, due to the cable pull ratio. I have bb7 road calipers on my gravel bike and they are not nearly as good as the bb7s on my mountain bikes.

Last edited by Kapusta; 04-05-20 at 07:51 PM.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 09:34 AM
  #8  
davei1980
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
davei1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: E Wa
Posts: 1,030

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
don't pay much attention to reviews in road versions of this or other mechanical brakes. MTB mechanicals work better than road mechanical, due to the cable pull ratio. I have bb7 road calipers on my gravel bike and they are not nearly as good as the bb7s on my mountain bikes.
Interesting.
My levers on my bike have two cable pull settings; one of these days I'll try the longer one to see if that gives me a better lever feel. The bike came set up on the shorter pull setting so I assumed that was correct for the calipers. Right now I am able to bottom both levers out against the grips which I have heard is a no no, even if not, I don't like it.. Then again, stopping has not been a problem in even the steepest of trails where I needed to stop to see how to proceed......Thinking I'll change out the calipers about the same time the pads wear out and try to sell the old ones to defray the cost
davei1980 is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 09:53 AM
  #9  
katsup
Senior Member
 
katsup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,155

Bikes: 1991 Diamond Back Apex 91 Fuji Sundance 1989 Trek 970 Soma Fog Cutter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980 View Post
Interesting.
My levers on my bike have two cable pull settings; one of these days I'll try the longer one to see if that gives me a better lever feel. The bike came set up on the shorter pull setting so I assumed that was correct for the calipers. Right now I am able to bottom both levers out against the grips which I have heard is a no no, even if not, I don't like it.. Then again, stopping has not been a problem in even the steepest of trails where I needed to stop to see how to proceed......Thinking I'll change out the calipers about the same time the pads wear out and try to sell the old ones to defray the cost
TRP Spyke = Mountain bike version, long pull
TRP Spyre = Road bike version, short pull

Avid used the same name (BB7) for mountain and road so it is more difficult to tell.

Bottoming out the levers is not the fault of the brakes, the cable needs to be tightened. Moving the cable to the long pull setting on your levers may be enough.
katsup is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 10:41 AM
  #10  
davei1980
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
davei1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: E Wa
Posts: 1,030

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup View Post
TRP Spyke = Mountain bike version, long pull


Bottoming out the levers is not the fault of the brakes, the cable needs to be tightened. Moving the cable to the long pull setting on your levers may be enough.
... Or the pads being too far from the disc because they're a b**** to adjust
davei1980 is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 10:47 AM
  #11  
Mmartin0617
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980 View Post
Anyone with first-hand knowledge of these?

They come to me highly recommended. I see they're WAY cheaper than Paul Components Klamper calipers. Unlike the Klamper they 1. take tools to adjust and 2. actuate both pads

The brakes my bike came with are entry-level Tektros which are a nightmare to get adjusted correctly because the only way to move the outter pad is by loosening the entire caliper and sliding it left or right, then the inner one has a threaded adjuster. Stupid design IMO.

Thanks for your feedback. I am not totally opposed to going hydrolic either, I just don't know if the care and feeding of a hydro system is something I am in to right now. Thanks again
Adding on to the bike?
Mmartin0617 is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 11:54 AM
  #12  
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,026
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980 View Post
... Or the pads being too far from the disc because they're a b**** to adjust
Well you do have a cable tension adjustment at the brake lever, right?

Not as good as having one on the caliper, but I should give you some fine tuning abilities.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 12:04 PM
  #13  
davei1980
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
davei1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: E Wa
Posts: 1,030

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Mmartin0617 View Post
Adding on to the bike?
Yeah looking to upgrade brakes when pads wear out. I like disc brakes so far but the calipers seem crappy which came w/ the bike.

davei1980 is offline  
Old 04-06-20, 12:07 PM
  #14  
davei1980
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
davei1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: E Wa
Posts: 1,030

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
Well you do have a cable tension adjustment at the brake lever, right?

Not as good as having one on the caliper, but I should give you some fine tuning abilities.
Yeah, been messing around w/ the barrel adjuster a little but I don't wanna run myself outta cable either (heard that's a no no too...). There's actually two: one on the caliper and one on the lever. not new to bikes but completely new to discs (can you tell?) I love they give you so many more tire size options and they dissipate heat better than any other brakes but man are they finicky to setup.

I CAN modulate my braking and lockup the rear pretty much at-will so kinda just choosing to ignore as well until I can get some calipers which are easier for me to work on. Had it in to my LBS a few times too. He swore at it too. Got the front pretty good which does the lion's share of the stopping anyway.

Thanks so much for your feedback by the way!
davei1980 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.