Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Rain setup splash guard / fenders?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 04-06-20, 01:52 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts

I am going stir crazy rained out ATM.

What is your rain setup ?

When you get back from riding in the rain do you dry off your chain and re-lube ?
Old 04-06-20, 10:32 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
A winter/water/gravel bike with slightly meaty tires. Fenders. A good pair of warm waterproof tights, booties to keep the water off the feet. The worst is wet squishy socks in your shoes. And a solid goretex breathable rain cover.

Oh... and almost forgot, a good wet weather lube that will last 100-200 miles. Currently using NFS. Best I have found so far for crappy weather. Usually just wipe down the chain. Relube about every 6-8 rides depending on the miles and conditions. I relube much more with dry lube in the summer than with NFS in the winter.

Last edited by Wilmingtech; 04-06-20 at 10:39 PM.
Likes For Wilmingtech:
Old 04-07-20, 12:12 AM
sean.hwy

@Wilmingtech pretty bike.
Old 04-07-20, 09:21 AM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

Surly Ogre with Gilles Berthoud fenders

Cannondale Topstone with SKS Speedrocker fenders and flaps from Ass-savers.
Likes For westrid_dad:
Old 04-07-20, 09:26 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
A winter/water/gravel bike with slightly meaty tires. Fenders. A good pair of warm waterproof tights, booties to keep the water off the feet. The worst is wet squishy socks in your shoes. And a solid goretex breathable rain cover.

Oh... and almost forgot, a good wet weather lube that will last 100-200 miles. Currently using NFS. Best I have found so far for crappy weather. Usually just wipe down the chain. Relube about every 6-8 rides depending on the miles and conditions. I relube much more with dry lube in the summer than with NFS in the winter.
does anyone make a very small simple pair of fenders that actually work but are not intrusive.
my bike is to pretty for big ugly fenders.
Old 04-07-20, 10:10 AM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
does anyone make a very small simple pair of fenders that actually work but are not intrusive.
My Ogre will continue to run the "big ugly" fenders, however, shortly I'll be removing the SKS Speedrocker setup from my Topstone. I do have some additional "mini-fenders" from Ass-savers that I'll be using on an as-needed basis. I'll post some pics once I've installed them.
Old 04-07-20, 11:06 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
These are the SKS raceblades.. Super easy to put on and take off once you have them dialed in. They swap between bikes as well.

They are the least amount of coverage you would want in the rain. You need a fender in the front that goes almost to the ground to keep your feet mostly dry. In the back it needs to cover a good portion of the tire other wise you either get mud up your back or cover the rider behind you if riding with a friend.

I ride with one guy who just uses an a$$ saver and if it's raining I wont get behind him which may be his ultimate ploy to never have to pull.
Old 04-07-20, 12:49 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
These are the SKS raceblades.. Super easy to put on and take off once you have them dialed in. They swap between bikes as well.

They are the least amount of coverage you would want in the rain. You need a fender in the front that goes almost to the ground to keep your feet mostly dry. In the back it needs to cover a good portion of the tire other wise you either get mud up your back or cover the rider behind you if riding with a friend.

I ride with one guy who just uses an a$$ saver and if it's raining I wont get behind him which may be his ultimate ploy to never have to pull.

these look nice. semi fancy smallish
Old 04-07-20, 02:06 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
I would say that, if they're very small, then they're a long ways from working well almost by definition.

If the front fender doesn't extend pretty far forward from the front brake, it won't protect the top of the bike and the rider from spray off the front of the front tire.
If the back of the front fender doesn't come close to the ground, it won't offer any protection to the rider's feet and the drivetrain from spray off the bottom of the front tire.
If the front of the rear fender doesn't extend down to the BB shell (or even lower), it won't protect the back of the rear triangle, the drivetrain, and the rider's lower legs from spray off the front of the rear tire.
If the back of the rear fender doesn't extend pretty far down, it won't protect the next rider back from spray off the bottom of the rear tire.
If the fender isn't fairly wide, it can't be designed to adequately capture side-spray.

If the fender is chosen well, and is set up with an even fenderline around the wheels, I find that they actually frequently enhance the appearance of a bicycle. My fendered bikes frequently get praise for their befendered appearance.

When fenders are ugly, it's usually because of kludgy mounting solutions on bikes not designed to take fenders. Or because a fender was designed primarily to be easy to remove, rather than to be a good fender that the rider won't constantly feel the need to remove.

these look nice. semi fancy smallish
These look nice when you're holding them off the bike, but I think they often have trouble looking like a visually-cohesive part of a complete bike. They sometimes give the impression of a line segment floating in space, not really flowing into the natural lines of the bike.
Old 04-07-20, 05:26 PM
sean.hwy

I could have used some today.

I ordered these two. Will report back after I used them if the are any good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 04-08-20, 06:40 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
The good old SKS & Planet Bikes are about as simple as it gets... OP, don't you get a ton of water pouring onti the front derailleur with that fendr ending so high up? I prefer rear fenders that come down to the Bottom Bracket to keep water off of the mechs up there.