Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

East coast greenway

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-18, 07:07 PM
paulp1

Bikes: Trek verve 3,All City space horse,Surly cross check,jamis aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
East coast greenway

I don't know if I am in the right area,but I am looking for info from people that have actually ridden on portions of the green way from New York to Boston. If I am not in the right area please forgive me and direct me,thank you.
Old 12-20-18, 06:56 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I have ridden most or all of the Hudson River Greenway, the Pelham Parkway Greenway, and the Bronx River Greenway in New York, plus the East Bay Bike Path in Rhode Island. I have also ridden many of the other "potential" ECG rail trails, bike paths,and on-road routes in New York, Connecticut, and Rhode Island.

For me, the jury is still out on whether the ECG is a good idea, as any break from traffic-free bike paths is going to eliminate a large percentage of the people who might otherwise use it. Every one of the greenways described above involves at least one or two sections that are very dangerous.

But that's not what you asked. Do you have questions about specific segments between NY and Boston?
Old 12-20-18, 08:12 PM
paulp1

Bikes: Trek verve 3,All City space horse,Surly cross check,jamis aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I have ridden most or all of the Hudson River Greenway, the Pelham Parkway Greenway, and the Bronx River Greenway in New York, plus the East Bay Bike Path in Rhode Island. I have also ridden many of the other "potential" ECG rail trails, bike paths,and on-road routes in New York, Connecticut, and Rhode Island.

For me, the jury is still out on whether the ECG is a good idea, as any break from traffic-free bike paths is going to eliminate a large percentage of the people who might otherwise use it. Every one of the greenways described above involves at least one or two sections that are very dangerous.

But that's not what you asked. Do you have questions about specific segments between NY and Boston?
Thank You,any information is helpful .I want to know how the route would be from Providence to Boston as far as the road rides and how rough are the trail rides?I agree that some areas are dangerous,one section from Watertown into Boston has a road crossing that is real bad.I am really looking for a detailed description from Providence to Boston. Thank You for you reply
Old 12-20-18, 08:26 PM
Papa Tom

'Never got past Providence. Sorry!
Old 12-31-18, 09:07 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by paulp1
Thank You,any information is helpful .I want to know how the route would be from Providence to Boston as far as the road rides and how rough are the trail rides?I agree that some areas are dangerous,one section from Watertown into Boston has a road crossing that is real bad.I am really looking for a detailed description from Providence to Boston. Thank You for you reply
I’ve ridden much of the stretch from Waltham to Boston, and also segments around West Boylston, but headed west to North Adams rather than south to Rhode Island.

Which is the “real bad” crossing?

The Paul D. White bikeway can be crowded at times from Harvard University to the Esplanade.

One note of caution that few people think about is public events can lead to checkpoints along the river. The big one is obvious (4th of July), but smaller events too. I’ve been stopped and had to dump water (inconvenient, but there are public bublers where you can refill just past the checkpoint), and had my small messenger bag (size of a large purse) inspected. Backpacks and other large packs can be a problem, particularly for people touring, they may ask you to go around rather than through. There’s always the other bank though.

Charity walks do use the bikeway, sometimes both banks at the same time, your alternatives are taking to roads or walking with the crowd.

-mr. bill
Old 01-01-19, 09:13 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Seems like a joke. It runs through a pretty, but heavily traveled suburb here. I wouldn't ride on it down here.
Old 01-01-19, 09:43 AM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where is "down here"?
Old 01-01-19, 10:33 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
From Providence you need to wend your way through the city to the Blackstone River bike bath. This is a short bike path, 9 miles, but very scenic. It takes you to Woonscoket where you pick up Rt. 126 toward Boston. I've ridden the Blackstone River but not Rt. 126. Several years ago a woman was asking here on Bike Forums about the reverse, Boston to Providence. Rt. 126 was the principal artery she used southward from Boston, which I marked on my DeLorme Atlas. I would look on Google Earth to see what kind of shoulder that road might have. Good luck.
Old 01-04-19, 03:53 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by otg
Where is "down here"?
Further south than where you are.
Old 01-05-19, 05:42 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
Further south than where you are.
Curious as to why you bothered with the initial and totally useless reply as well as the snarky follow up ?.
Old 01-05-19, 07:16 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Curious as to why you bothered with the initial and totally useless reply as well as the snarky follow up ?.
It wasn't useless. Much of the Greenway is not safe. Much of it runs right through busy suburbs with zero bike infrastructure.

If you want to make a bike trail than do it instead of just putting signs everywhere where there might, might be some cycling infrastructure. Not Just a wide shoulder with broken glass, and some gravel everywhere. And the taking your life in your hands along county roads that have no shoulder at all.

I would like to see something like the ECG work. Signs are not enough.
Old 01-06-19, 08:05 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
The idea of the green way was to connect bike paths and such with mostly side roads. You want a paved bike path the whole length of the east coast? Good luck with that. Check out the maps and guides they have.
Old 01-06-19, 09:30 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
It wasn't useless. Much of the Greenway is not safe. Much of it runs right through busy suburbs with zero bike infrastructure.

If you want to make a bike trail than do it instead of just putting signs everywhere where there might, might be some cycling infrastructure. Not Just a wide shoulder with broken glass, and some gravel everywhere. And the taking your life in your hands along county roads that have no shoulder at all.

I would like to see something like the ECG work. Signs are not enough.
There is no expectation that the Greenway was going to be a paved bike path from Florida to Maine. Who’s going to fund that ?. While the route may at times be questionable it’s still a work progress, thus needs support from all potential users.

You likely have some valid points about local conditions, but that means we need to keep after the local highway departments that maintain the roads, to keep them clean, etc... And I’m not sure why your beef with country roads with no shoulders, which with ECG were chosen based on traffic volume for the most part. I’ve ridden similar roads in many places in the US and Canada with no problems. They are not unsafe if you are a smart rider and have motorists who are respective of cyclists. Your comment sounds like somebody frightened to share roads with cars, which is unfortunate.
Old 01-07-19, 12:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
And the taking your life in your hands along county roads that have no shoulder at all.
Living in PA, a state known for country roads with no shoulders, a touring on rural, shoulderless roads in other parts of the country, how have I managed to stay alive nearly 54 years?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-07-19, 03:40 PM
Papa Tom

As much as some of the "marketing" might make it appear that the ECG is a 3,000 sidewalk over which parents can ride to Disney World with their four-year-olds, I don't think it is intended for the squeamish or for the casual cyclist. There are going to be some rough spots, but perhaps once there are bicycle paths and increased awareness of cyclists in certain areas, the automobile traffic along the shared routes might calm down a bit.
Old 10-09-19, 03:02 PM
StarBiker

I remember these posts, they are just as dumb as they were months ago. I have to get off here. I hate this site
Old 10-10-19, 02:54 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Bye,
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 10-10-19, 06:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
I remember these posts, they are just as dumb as they were months ago. I have to get off here. I hate this site
Wut
Old 10-10-19, 07:35 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,603 Times in 3,467 Posts
You returned just to say that? Please don’t return to this thread.
Old 10-10-19, 10:12 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 896 Posts
Thank you.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind: