Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Beer, your first encounter?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 03-01-20, 10:03 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 189 Posts

For some reason I've always loved the taste of beer. When I was probably in 3rd or 4th grade my parents would have the relatives over for a BBQ and my dad would drink Eastside. I would ask him for a little sip, then I'd go to my mom and ask for a little sip, and then play that scam until my mom caught on. Actually, I was probably only drinking 4 -5 teaspoons worth over the course of the afternoon but boy... that stuff sure tasted good.
Old 03-01-20, 10:33 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 8170 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 517 Posts
No, my first encounters with beer were of a strange bitter liquid... but like other flavors in my life I have learned to savor, I now enjoy beer. I have brewed beer, and quite enjoy the various aromas of the process.

Think about spicy chilies, was your first encounter "enjoyable?"
Old 03-01-20, 11:12 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn "Speedster" Willy

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 473 Posts
First encounter with actually drinking a whole 12 ounce bottle for the sake of drinking a whole 12 ounce bottle?

Maybe 14 years of age at a friend's house a couple of doors down. My friend's were home alone a whole lot as their dad worked for the feds and their mom didn't live with them. The oldest son was my age, but he could grow a beard and the legal drinking age was still 18 . . . so, close enough to buy a 6-pack I guess.

Last edited by FiftySix; 03-01-20 at 11:36 AM. Reason: tmi
Old 03-01-20, 11:35 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by genec View Post
No, my first encounters with beer were of a strange bitter liquid... but like other flavors in my life I have learned to savor, I now enjoy beer. I have brewed beer, and quite enjoy the various aromas of the process.

Think about spicy chilies, was your first encounter "enjoyable?"
Reminds me of the first jalapeno I ever bit into at maybe age 6 or 7. I though it was a pickle. My dad probably laughed his butt off. My mom probably cussed him out for not stopping me. I can't remember the details because of the pain.
Old 03-01-20, 02:54 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 523 Posts
Handling jalapeños and then taking a leak setting myself on fire. My grandma told me to get in the shower and wash it off. I guess I was about 5 or so. Beer was a Schiltz when it was good around 1977 we got one beer each and you could feel it. Today my friend’s dad would get arrested
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 03-01-20, 04:18 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 243 Posts
Grandpa used to let us "sip the foam" off the top of his mug when we were maybe 9-10 years old or so. I don't really remember it tasting good or bad at the time, but it did seem kind of special.

I once fed my baby brother a hot pepper when he was in his high chair and couldn't yet talk. When he started crying Dad came over and smacked me around.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 03-01-20, 05:25 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
Grandpa used to let us "sip the foam" off the top of his mug when we were maybe 9-10 years old or so. I don't really remember it tasting good or bad at the time, but it did seem kind of special.

I once fed my baby brother a hot pepper when he was in his high chair and couldn't yet talk. When he started crying Dad came over and smacked me around.
I gave my cousin a wild chiltepin saying it was wild sweet pea. He found out it was fire.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 03-01-20, 08:19 PM
DesmoDog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I tried it at a friend's house, probably around 12 years old. I've forgotten the brand but it was disgusting. I ended up shaking the bottle and spraying it at the dog. Hey it was summer, there were sprinklers and pools and he liked to play. I dunno, he didn't seem to mind.

I'm still not a huge fan of beer but they don't ALL taste disgusting anymore.
Old 03-02-20, 06:17 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 8170 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 517 Posts
We had a dog that loved beer... a big weimaraner. He would wait until my dad set the bottle down next to the chaise lounge in the back yard, and dad wasn't paying attention... Then Rusty would grab that bottle, by the top, and race through the yard with his head tilted back.
Likes For genec:
Old 03-02-20, 07:15 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 1358 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 182 Posts
It was my 25th birthday and I was in the best shape of my life. However my relationship status in limbo so I decided I'd drink a beer for clarity and Perspective....also to see what all the fuss was about. So I drank one, no affect, two nothing, three still nothing, after SIX still nothing so I gave up on beer.
Fast forward a few years and my teenage boys talked me into drinking ONE beer and I got drunk. After that I played in our full time family band and drinking beer was part of the job. In fact when people asked what kind of music did we play we'd say Beer drinking music. Now that we only play music about once a month, I only drink about once a month....and two or three beers is my limit.
Oh one more thing, my sons beer/alcohol tolerance is very high and I've never seen them appear drunk And they'll tell you they got me to drinking.

​​​​​

Last edited by texaspandj; 03-02-20 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-02-20, 08:04 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 75 Posts
Took one sip of beer at age 30 or so. Haven't had the desire to try alcohol again in the ensuing 38 years.

A couple of friends back in high school made me promise that, the first time I tried pot, LSD, etc., I'd "turn on" with them. Haven't broken that promise yet.
Old 03-02-20, 08:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10892 Post(s)
Liked 2,425 Times in 1,370 Posts
Dad gave me my first beer when I was a pre-teen.
Old 03-02-20, 10:01 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 63 Posts
Dad was a beer drinker when I was little. I am told that I would sneak around and grab people's beer so they ended up getting me "pony" beers so I could have my own.

To recall just how different those times were. Drunk driving wasn't frowned upon in the same way. My dad's custom van had a wet bar inside. I mixed drinks going down the road at a very young age.
Old 03-02-20, 11:34 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 58 Posts
My first beer was a Mickey's Big Mouth. Given to me by one of the neighborhood bad boys when I was a Freshman. I thought it tasted okay. Probably got a mild buzz. I don't see them for sale around here anymore.
Old 03-02-20, 12:40 PM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 640, '74 Fuji Special Road Racer, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 267 Posts
Miller Light

in a friends rec room when we were in high school. He had a case of it, and there were quite a few of us, I might have had two. This was during the "tastes great! less filling!" era. I don't think that I really enjoyed the taste that much, but I didn't expect to.

Now, there's little chance that I would ever drink a Miller Light beer. If someone were to hold a gun to the head of my wife or daughters, then I'd drink one. Certainly. If that same gun were held to my own head...I'd have to think about it.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-02-20, 12:47 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by bikecrate View Post
My first beer was a Mickey's Big Mouth. Given to me by one of the neighborhood bad boys when I was a Freshman. I thought it tasted okay. Probably got a mild buzz. I don't see them for sale around here anymore.
lived off those in my younger days .. cheap and tastes good and potent.
Old 03-02-20, 01:00 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 147 Posts
I remember it quite well, my parents had a party and me and my brother were helping out bringing empty glasses to the kitchen, but not all glasses were entirely empty. I must have been around 7 years old. I'm not sure I liked it right away, but I was intrigued by it. But I was always more intrigued by 'adult' tastes, the not so easy ones. Before that I once plundered a french cheese trolley in a restaurant, my parents and the waitress weren't paying attention while it was besides the table and there was not much Roquefort left for the other guests. I believe people should outgrow children's tastes like plain sweetness, but I never needed much encouragement and never cared much for just sweets. I still don't like sweet beer, I want it hoppy and bitter.
Old 03-02-20, 05:20 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 206 Posts

You pretty well have to be from Cincinnati to remember these. They came in 7 oz. bottles. It tasted OK, but it gave you a hangover every time.
Old 03-02-20, 05:54 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 325 Posts
I probably had a few sips here or there, and I certainly knew what it smelled like (which is about what it tastes like). But I was a good boy. On my 21st birthday I went into a bar (& grill I guess), sat at the bar, ordered a burger & fries and a beer. I soldiered through it.

In my senior year, my friends shared Rolling Rock with me, but I was not a partyer so never a lot, like never more than 2 in an evening, never more than once a week.

Teaching internship summer after college, one of the other teachers showed up with a trunk full of Yuengling. He said he always stocks up at the beginning of the summer session when he rolls into town (PA), because Yuengling is 'cheaper than water'.

I don't even really remember the path, but eventually I figured out ALL LAGER IS DISGUSTING. Ale is where it's at. It was probably living in England for 2 years actually.

Now I try to keep costs low (~50c/bottle) by homebrewing northernbrewer extract kits bought on sale.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 03-02-20, 06:17 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by chewybrian View Post

You pretty well have to be from Cincinnati to remember these. They came in 7 oz. bottles. It tasted OK, but it gave you a hangover every time.
Same with the Mickey's posted up thread.

My first intro to Little Kings was at a place I worked in high school in the early 1980s called Malibu Grand Prix. The car mechanic was ex-military and he'd share some of those little brews after work as long as I paid my share. We'd drink it in the presence of the hired security who was passing time 'til we went home for the night. That hired security was a State Trooper.

The two of us would tell stories, while the Trooper would usually just pass out occasional advice while listening to us yak it up.

Last edited by FiftySix; 03-02-20 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-02-20, 08:03 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 97 Posts
My parents never drank alcohol, the first time I had any was during middle school at a friend's house when his parents weren't home. Can't remember what it was but it was something 'generic' like Bud, Miller, Coors, PBR, or similar. In High school a friend worked at a liquor store so it was easy to get. The most distinctive one I remember was Tuborg (sp?) a Danish beer; smooth with some flavor vs the crappy American beers available at that time (no real craft beers around).
Old 03-02-20, 08:53 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 189 Posts
Grandpa made a Canadian recipe he brought with him from Minnesota. First taste of beer was very early, 5-7. He had me siphon beer from a large ceramic vat and fill bottles while he capped them. I learned later that he had gotten caught selling out of his patrol car back during prohibition. He always made a batch of root beer so I could have some when I came to the house. My first run in with the law was when I was sitting on his front porch drinking a bottle of rootbeer out of a reused Burgiemiester bottle.
Old 03-02-20, 09:01 PM
Bigbus

Bikes: In Flux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 50 Posts
My folks threw card parties when I was a toddler. They'd give us kids a bottle to share to keep us out from underfoot. Right to sleep and yeasty dreams ensued. Love the taste of beer to this day, but I drink less than a 6 pack a year.
Old 03-03-20, 07:50 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 168 Posts
Sorry to bring bad news but:

Beer tastes like piss water. Rotten hopps ain’t goin in my mouth.
Old 03-03-20, 10:23 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
Beer tastes like piss water. Rotten hopps ain’t goin in my mouth.
I have to admit that all these years of adulting later I still don't enjoy beer outside of a targeted taste pairing. The only spirit I really care for now is Bourbon/Whiskey.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.