Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Buying something just because it will be hard to source later

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Buying something just because it will be hard to source later

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-20, 11:17 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I wish I did. There was this convex mirror that mounted on the inside of my handlebar. It lasted probably twenty years.

When I went out to get similar replacements, there were none. The ones that fit into the handlebars were either flat mirrors or oriented only for drop handlebars (mine was a straight bar). And then there are those with the rubber bands to wrap around the handlebars so you have to make sure it doesn't interfere with your left hand. Well those rubber bands keep breaking. So now they are tied on with wires and string.
Old 04-06-20, 05:47 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I wish I did. There was this convex mirror that mounted on the inside of my handlebar. It lasted probably twenty years.

When I went out to get similar replacements, there were none. The ones that fit into the handlebars were either flat mirrors or oriented only for drop handlebars (mine was a straight bar). And then there are those with the rubber bands to wrap around the handlebars so you have to make sure it doesn't interfere with your left hand. Well those rubber bands keep breaking. So now they are tied on with wires and string.
This year they tested bicycle mirrors like that for Pedelecs at the Dutch consumer organisation: Reviews in Dutch
They really liked the VWP bicycle mirror

Though I have to share this mistranslation with you:
The mirror is easy to assemble, easy to adjust, gives a good view of the traffic behind you and does not vibrate on vowels.
The original word was "klinkers", which can be a vowel but is more likely to be cobblestones in this context.

Last edited by JaccoW; 04-06-20 at 05:52 PM.