Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Canyon assembly paste and grease

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-28-20, 05:43 AM
robsstrom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Total noob here, try to have patience please.

I just got a Canyon Roadlite AL 6.0. From what I've gathered only the fork is made from carbon fibre (correct me if I'm wrong). However it seems that the Canyon (carbon?) assembly paste that they want you to use either was not included with my bike, or I managed to lose it. So, basically, do I actually even have to use their assembly paste - which seems specially suited for carbon-metal interfaces - even if it is only the fork that is made from CF? I don't understand their reasoning, why I would need this special paste for metal-metal interfaces.

From the manual it seems they want you to use the paste when mounting handlebar, seat and pedals.

I am also slightly worried that somehow I may void warranty or such if I don't use the product supplied with the bike, since they say that using that paste reduces the clamping force required by 30%.

I was down at my local bike workshop and the owner gave me some lithium grease (?). But from my understanding it is not the same as assembly paste.

I have asked Canyon to send me some extra but I am guessing it will take a few days even if they have a workshop in my country and I am eager to get out on the bike...

Basically: Do I need to use assembly paste even in metal-metal interfaces? I certainly won't do any harm?

And for these different parts that I need to mount, am I correct when I assume I need to use the following:

Handlebar - assembly paste or grease

Seat - assembly paste or grease

Pedals - grease?

Whatever "grease" actually is!

/R
Old 03-28-20, 09:01 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
CF assembly paste is only used to add some extra grip for CF clamped pieces due to having lower torque clamping values so as not to crack the parts. It is not necessary for pedal threads but use grease or anti-seize for corrosion protection as well as all metal to metal parts. Using it with metal to CF contact (metal/CF seatpost to CF/metal seatube, metal/CF stem to CF/metal handlebar & steerer tube, etc) is a good idea to prevent parts fusing together through corrosion/materials reaction but you can also try plain grease if there are no issues with slipping. CF to CF needs no corrosion protection so if there is no slippage nothing at all is needed. Almost any grease can be used for corrosion protection but a google search will probably turn up some that may be potentially harmful to CF parts.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 03-28-20 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-28-20, 09:14 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Assembly paste is essentially grease with some kind of grit added so not appropriate on threaded fasteners. I use Permatex synthetic grease for most threaded joints like stainless nuts/bolts, Tef-Gel for dissimilar-metal joints and others subject to corrosion like pedals, bottom brackets, chainring bolts and fasteners in tapped aluminum holes. Grease on metal/metal seat posts, carbon assembly paste on metal/carbon or carbon/carbon. Stem to handlebar and stem to steerer clamp I leave dry.
Old 03-28-20, 02:23 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Call Canyon and ask what you should use.
Old 03-28-20, 06:47 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
any brand "carbon" or "assembly" grease or paste will work. it is basically some grease with some sand added to create friction.

Keep in mind, this is used to INCREASE friction. Like for fastening your stem to the steerer (applied to steerer). For most other applications (threads, bearings) you want to DECREASE friction. For that use normal grease. If you use assembly paste for that, it will do the opposite and wear/damage the part. Like, don't use assembly paste for the bolts of the steerer!
Old 03-28-20, 06:56 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I would follow Canyons advise. The following bulletin from Trek raises some potential concerns although it is 9 years old.
https://thegoldenwrench.blogspot.com...regarding.html
Old 04-04-20, 10:28 AM
Jagorm87

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pathlite 6.0

Originally Posted by robsstrom
Total noob here, try to have patience please.

I just got a Canyon Roadlite AL 6.0. From what I've gathered only the fork is made from carbon fibre (correct me if I'm wrong). However it seems that the Canyon (carbon?) assembly paste that they want you to use either was not included with my bike, or I managed to lose it. So, basically, do I actually even have to use their assembly paste - which seems specially suited for carbon-metal interfaces - even if it is only the fork that is made from CF? I don't understand their reasoning, why I would need this special paste for metal-metal interfaces.

From the manual it seems they want you to use the paste when mounting handlebar, seat and pedals.

I am also slightly worried that somehow I may void warranty or such if I don't use the product supplied with the bike, since they say that using that paste reduces the clamping force required by 30%.

I was down at my local bike workshop and the owner gave me some lithium grease (?). But from my understanding it is not the same as assembly paste.

I have asked Canyon to send me some extra but I am guessing it will take a few days even if they have a workshop in my country and I am eager to get out on the bike...

Basically: Do I need to use assembly paste even in metal-metal interfaces? I certainly won't do any harm?

And for these different parts that I need to mount, am I correct when I assume I need to use the following:

Handlebar - assembly paste or grease

Seat - assembly paste or grease

Pedals - grease?

Whatever "grease" actually is!

/R
Hi I had a pathlite 6.0 delivered today.
same issues no assembly paste.

what did you do in the end?
Old 04-04-20, 11:03 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
I would follow Canyons advise. The following bulletin from Trek raises some potential concerns although it is 9 years old.
https://thegoldenwrench.blogspot.com...regarding.html
Interesting. I didn't know that, but it makes sense.

I always felt that when you remove the fork for headset service you smear some of the assembly paste under the stem on the compression ring.
Old 04-05-20, 12:04 AM
robsstrom

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jagorm87
Hi I had a pathlite 6.0 delivered today.
same issues no assembly paste.

what did you do in the end?
Actually I didn't do much, haha. I still haven't gotten around to mount things, considering doing it now.

I asked Canyon's support in my country, and they said that I should use it for the seat post, and that they don't usually use it for the handle bar. And just regular grease on pedals. (I told them I had a Roadlite AL 6.0 so I assume this advice does not apply to bikes with CF-metal interfaces.)

I ordered some assembly paste online but unfortunately I still have not received it, so that's why I waited with building the bike. So much for delivery within "1-3 days"...pfft!

I don't really think the assembly paste is terribly important on a bike with no CF-metal interfaces. But for a newcomer to this kinda stuff, Canyon's manuals are very confusing.
Old 04-05-20, 07:39 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by robsstrom
Actually I didn't do much, haha. I still haven't gotten around to mount things, considering doing it now.

I asked Canyon's support in my country, and they said that I should use it for the seat post, and that they don't usually use it for the handle bar. And just regular grease on pedals. (I told them I had a Roadlite AL 6.0 so I assume this advice does not apply to bikes with CF-metal interfaces.)

I ordered some assembly paste online but unfortunately I still have not received it, so that's why I waited with building the bike. So much for delivery within "1-3 days"...pfft!

I don't really think the assembly paste is terribly important on a bike with no CF-metal interfaces. But for a newcomer to this kinda stuff, Canyon's manuals are very confusing.
I use CF assembly paste wherever one or more of the mating surfaces is CF. Brand does not matter IMHO. I use Tacxx because that is what I have on hand, not because there is anything special about it.