Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Local bicycling groups?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Local bicycling groups?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-20, 03:35 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Local bicycling groups?

Do you belong or associate with your local cycling groups(road or MTB)? Do you do trail work? Are you happy with what you are seeing from the groups?
Old 04-02-20, 06:07 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
We have a local group of both road and single-track. Both are very well received. The single track group does do trail maintenance and such but the road group can't obviously do paved trail repairs.

Our road group does lots of education and such programs, they charge $25 a year to be a member. You don't really get anything per say but to be a member but the money goes towards community education and events and stuff like that.

both our groups are great people run but a board of people voted in by members and run like a little council's. So yeah our groups are good!
Old 04-02-20, 07:45 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,174 Posts
Our local mt. bike club has built over 175 miles of dedicated mt. bike trails in something like 18 parks and preserves on Long Island over the past 25 years or so. They are very active, very connected to the assorted town, county and state park managers, and as well have a system of trail stewards that keep after trail conditions. They are currently building a local trail system from scratch. So, yeah, I’m very happy with them. I pay my yearly dues even though I really don’t join on the many club activities. Just to support them.

There are 4 or more local road groups. I’ve been members of 2 but stopped riding with them as I was often working weekends and couldn’t make it to the group rides. As well I wasn’t always happy with the “show and go” rides where nobody was the leader, with 15 or more riders that sometimes turned into a cluster of folks with poor riding skills. nice people mostly, but I like a smaller group of 3-4 buddies. The road groups as well are really weak in advocacy, they seemingly just want to hook up and rode. 2 of the local road clubs sponsor big organized rides that are very popular and I give them credit for that effort. Takes a lot of work and dedicated volunteers,
Old 04-03-20, 05:51 AM
Kimberly89
BikerLiker

Bikes: Vitus ZX1 CRS Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was a part of such a group when I was living in the suburbs of Los Angeles, and I was so happy to be a part of it. But a few weeks ago I moved to Sacramento and didn't have a chance to meet neighbors, so I don't know if I'll have a chance to join the group here.
Old 04-03-20, 07:06 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Local MTB group has built many trails but they also lack any kind of “VISION” for what it could be. They have been completely silent during this corona virus situation. At a time when we need to know more about trail systems here. They still show the open and closed each morning but nothing else.

Some other folks have built good trails with some vision. Whitewater Center has built good stuff for all types of riders.

I look at places like Bentonville and to a much smaller extent Ocala Florida as areas in which true vision in the mountain bike world is being displayed.

I’m not as connected to the road riding world here but it looks better than the MTB crowd around here.
Old 04-03-20, 11:26 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,174 Posts
A few of our local trail systems are operated by the NY State Dept. of Environmental Conservation. They have a very good rapport with the president of the mt. bike club and while asking and reminding the members to maintain social distancing (as posted on FB) they indicated they were considering closing the few and small parking lots, which were busy, as they were concerned it indicated riders conducting group rides. I believe the club was able to send the message that it was possible that many vehicles were used by solo riders and they likely were not showing up at the same time and that the club had suspended all sponsored group rides. As well the club suspended work parties that had people working in groups.

As well, 3 of the 4 local road centric clubs have indicated on their websites that all club group rides are suspended and that the current and near future scheduled big event rides are postponed
Old 04-03-20, 11:44 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Local MTB group has built many trails but they also lack any kind of “VISION” for what it could be. They have been completely silent during this corona virus situation. At a time when we need to know more about trail systems here. They still show the open and closed each morning but nothing else.

...I’m not as connected to the road riding world here but it looks better than the MTB crowd around here.
Well... get involved and show them how it's done. I'm sure they would appreciate the help. Everybody wants advice from people who think they can do better.
Old 04-03-20, 12:34 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Well... get involved and show them how it's done. I'm sure they would appreciate the help. Everybody wants advice from people who think they can do better.
true

I could also start a new group of some sort.

Last edited by Rajflyboy; 04-03-20 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-03-20, 02:54 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
We have a road club, Santaim Spokes Bicycle Club, that does quite a bit for the community . We have one major ride, Strawberry Century, that was recognized as best ride in the state a couple of years ago. It is our main fundraiser, and all the proceeds are used for pholanthropic projects. The club has donated bike maintenance stations to the local communities, furnished 135 helmets, and other equipment to our school district's bike safety program, supported and took the lead of a State Scenic Bikeway propoasal, furnish helmets to the police departments of local communities to hand out to kids. Members also participate in bike advocacy and bike tourism groups. My wife and I are very active with the bike safety program for our school district. I just finished overhauling the 37 bikes in our bike safey fleet which was donated to us by a bike club in a nearby communty. They were able to donate it to us becasue another club donated the funds to purchase a new bike fleet and trailer to them. We all work together.

We are not as active as we have beem in the past, but most clubs I belonged to seem to have their ups and downs.

Last edited by Doug64; 04-03-20 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-03-20, 07:49 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Doug64
We have a road club, Santaim Spokes Bicycle Club, that does quitea bit for the community . We have one major ride, Strawberry Century, that was recognized as best ride in the state a couple of years ago. It is our main fundraiser, and all the proceeds are used for pholanthropic projects. The club has donated bike maintenance stations to the local communities, furnished 135 helmets, and other equipment to our school district's bike safety program, supported and took the lead of a State Scenic Bikeway propoasal, furnish helmets to the police departments of local communities to hand out to kids. Members also participate in bike advocacy and bike tourism groups. My wife and I are very active with the bike safety program for our school district. I just finished overhauling the 37 bikes in our bike safey fleet which was donated to us by a bike club in a nearby communty. The were able to donate it to us becasue anther club donated the fundds to purchae a new bike fleet and trailer to them. We all work together.

We are not as active as we have beem in the past, but most clubs I belonged to seem to have their ups and downs.
Thanks for what you do We are lucky to have people like you in the world. We do have the a Ride For Kids program and the recyclery. I think this is a great group in the Charlotte area. You all do great work!
Old 04-05-20, 03:39 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

I did forget to mention the folks who built and maintain the “Back Yard Trails” in Charlotte. They do have the “Vision” that I would hope we could see more around the area. Those folks are doing a lot with the land available. I believe this was the original mtb trail system in the area.
Old 04-05-20, 04:16 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Local club is very good - about 800 members ranging from casual to racer - majority is road/gravel. Most of the rides are somewhat or very social. There is a bagel shop run every Sunday morning.

The club sponsors several special events each year and there is at least 1 ride every day during the season (Mid April - Oct.) Of course, this year is different - Zwift group rides only currently.

$25/year covers the website costs, some of the event costs, club liability insurance, etc. There have been 2 deaths on club-organized rides in the last 10 years or so - insurance is needed just in case.

I'm lucky to have such a good group nearby.
Old 04-05-20, 05:35 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by jlaw
Local club is very good - about 800 members ranging from casual to racer - majority is road/gravel. Most of the rides are somewhat or very social. There is a bagel shop run every Sunday morning.

The club sponsors several special events each year and there is at least 1 ride every day during the season (Mid April - Oct.) Of course, this year is different - Zwift group rides only currently.

$25/year covers the website costs, some of the event costs, club liability insurance, etc. There have been 2 deaths on club-organized rides in the last 10 years or so - insurance is needed just in case.

I'm lucky to have such a good group nearby.
insurance

good point 👍