Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy 10 sp Ergo rebuild

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Campy 10 sp Ergo rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-20, 01:48 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Campy 10 sp Ergo rebuild

I replaced the g springs on a right side Ergo shifter, probably vintage 2008, and my problem is persisting. Upper gears shift fine, but when I try to downshift below 5th gear (larger cog), I feel a click in the shifter but it doesn't catch, so the derailer falls down to the 5th cog. My guess is that the index gear (part #6 ) is badly worn and needs to be replaced. Can anyone confirm this guess before I drop big bucks on replacing it?

Second question, are there any other parts likely to fail in the next few years?

Finally, is there a good source for the right index gear? I'm tempted to invest in blocks of steel and Dremel bits!
Old 04-04-20, 02:06 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Did you just change the G springs, or did you change the G springs and the spring carrier? Typically you change the G springs, carrier, and bushing at the same time. Very common for the spring carrier to crack, and it can sometimes crack in a way that will not allow it to hold on the larger cogs. I'd check for that before changing the index. I've only needed to change 1 index, and on that one there was obvious wear/damage on it.
Old 04-04-20, 05:04 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I replaced the g springs on a right side Ergo shifter, probably vintage 2008, and my problem is persisting. Upper gears shift fine, but when I try to downshift below 5th gear (larger cog), I feel a click in the shifter but it doesn't catch, so the derailer falls down to the 5th cog. My guess is that the index gear (part #6 ) is badly worn and needs to be replaced. Can anyone confirm this guess before I drop big bucks on replacing it?

Second question, are there any other parts likely to fail in the next few years?

Finally, is there a good source for the right index gear? I'm tempted to invest in blocks of steel and Dremel bits!
I use Branford Bike in Seattle for my Campagnolo stuff. I run ‘99 Chorus 10sp (originally 9sp but I converted them to 10sp in 2004) and finally had the shifters overhauled after their last rebuild ~16 years >50,000 miles ago. I got the various parts from Branford, but this time around I couldn’t be arsed rebuilding them so I sent them off for a rebuild. However, they’ll have all the necessary parts (including different levels of “rebuild parts kits”, depending on how deep you want to go) if you want to tackle it yourself. Highly recommend them
Old 04-04-20, 07:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
Agreed that the spring carrier breaks frequently and can cause the shifter to not hold in the low gears. Index gears tend to last a very long time, one supplier laughingly referenced them as the cockroaches of parts. Having said that I have neded to replace one index gear on a personal bike. Surprisingly it was the LH lever's. I was trying one of the mid 1990s SunTour MtB ft ders with their very strong return springs and the lever wouldn't hold the large ring position when I jumped on the pedals. A replacement (and on other parts) solved that. The only other index gears I've replaced have been to change an 8 speed lever into a 9 speed one (and done this a few times). Andy
Old 04-04-20, 07:50 PM
pdlamb

I had a cracked spring carrier quite a whlie back -- 2006, maybe? Replaced that (one of the earlier alloy ones, IIRC) with a newer composite carrier that was supposed to fix the cracking problem. Are y'all sure the newer carriers are still susceptible to cracking?
Old 04-04-20, 08:08 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
I've only done a dozen or so Ergo rebuilds for customers (besides the 10 or so of my own) and haven't seen the composite carriers break that I remember. A lot of the early alloy version with no reinforcing web at the post's base and a few later alloy ones with that added reinforcement.

I'd first double check the low gear limit screw on the rear der. If the G spring doesn't fully seat in the index notches then it can slip back. Of course cable tension also affects this. Andy
Old 04-04-20, 10:13 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

I'd first double check the low gear limit screw on the rear der. If the G spring doesn't fully seat in the index notches then it can slip back. Of course cable tension also affects this. Andy
Nice tip, appreciated.
Old 04-05-20, 07:19 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Post your question on the paceline forum. Old potatoe knows all and does rebuilds.
Old 04-05-20, 07:53 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 383 Posts
Did you get that last spring (#19) in the proper orientation. Lord knows, I've put it backwards a number of times.

Edit: BTW I have broken a composite spring carrier.

Last edited by gearbasher; 04-05-20 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-05-20, 08:44 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
I had a cracked spring carrier quite a whlie back -- 2006, maybe? Replaced that (one of the earlier alloy ones, IIRC) with a newer composite carrier that was supposed to fix the cracking problem. Are y'all sure the newer carriers are still susceptible to cracking?
The revised carriers are still alloy. And they still crack, just not as often.
Old 04-05-20, 12:42 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
You probably broke the spring carrier, especially if you haven't upgraded from metal to plastic. They also fail due to fatigue, usually taking more time than one set of G-springs bu less than two.

It's a bigger problem with larger cogs because spring tension increases moving up the cassette.

I never wore out an index cam although I lost count of the G-springs and carriers I wore out, broke two thumb button springs, one front paddle return spring, and a front ratchet pawl spring.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 04-05-20 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-06-20, 08:37 AM
pdlamb

Thanks for all the inputs. Just for closure or feedback, here's where I am now.

This "bike" (two frames, three bars, etc.) has 60,000 miles and change on it since I changed over to Campy 20 years ago. I've probably averaged changing g springs every 12-18 months in that time. Cracked one carrier, rusted out two thumb buttons, broke a paddle on each side, and changed from "old" 9 index gear to "new" 9. So I opened it up yesterday.

The spring carrier isn't broke, but that composite carrier sure is flexible -- so it needed to be replaced. The indexing ratchet has rounded off three of the gears, and a couple more are visibly worn. My stockpile had an extra carrier as well as a few more years' of g springs. I've got a line on the index gear, but I'll have to see if that pans out.

This is why it's a good thing to have a backup bike!