Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-20, 06:35 AM
Junior24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need advice

Should’ve probably done this sooner but here it goes.... I’m new to bikes.... bought an old trek alpha1.2 sora road to see if I’d like riding. I road it twice and its falling apart....so I’m looking at buying a new bike no hassles.... I’m looking at a 2020 specialized allez elite e5 has 105 components and rim brakes the other is a 2019 specialized diverge e5 elite has Tiagra components and mechanical disc...... both new 20 dollars difference in price...which one..... would like to eventually do a triathlon sprint and just get into riding..... any advice would be appreciated thank you
Old 04-05-20, 07:03 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Two different bikes. The Diverge is a "gravel" or "all road" bike, very similar to the sport touring bikes of the old days. What is old is new again. The Allez is more of a performance bike, and is better suited to racing. Either bike will do anything you want it to.

We all have preferences and my preference is rim brakes as they are simple and effective, and "all road" designs as I prefer stability over quickness. If I were focused on racing, the Allez is the obvious choice between these two bikes.
Old 04-05-20, 07:31 AM
Junior24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I should’ve worded the question different and asked what’s more important components or brakes ..... everything I read says 105 for components are a good base ....it also says disc better than rim yet hydraulic better than mechanical..... so what combination from above would be best? I’m mainly going to ride for exercise and hope to do a tri sprint eventually...... never knew bikes got this confusing
Old 04-05-20, 07:58 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I can't comment on the bikes. But, I have 4 bikes. Two have 105, one has older Dura Ace and one has newer SRAM Red. You can't go wrong with any of that but 105 is excellent and the best bang for the buck.
Old 04-05-20, 09:20 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I reckon you're set on a new bike; however I'd advise doing whatever repairs are necessary on your Trek. Barring significant damage, a few hours of work and perhaps a little cash will result in a bike on which you can explore your new hobby. In your words, "bikes are confusing." Riding what you already have for a while will give you the experience to better inform your ultimate decision. Once you are decided that you enjoy cycling you can then invest in a new bike of the flavor that you prefer. I've seen plenty of expensive bikes for sale (at very much reduced prices) with very few miles on them.

Which every way you go, welcome to BikeForums. Good luck to you.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 04-05-20, 10:50 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I reckon you're set on a new bike; however I'd advise doing whatever repairs are necessary on your Trek. ....... Riding what you already have for a while will give you the experience to better inform your ultimate decision. .
When I see someone considering two vastly different bikes, i can be pretty sure that person is new to cycling.

You are comparing a jeep and a sports car. Both are excellent bikes and both have excellent components. But they are not similar.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/al...ext=90020-4044
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...elite/p/129178

The Elite is likely to be quick-handling, stiff, responsive .... and possibly a little harsh over bumps. A great bike but not a bike which would reward\ lazy rides through the country. I am not sure how much rubber you could fit underneath it, but it comes with 25-mm tiers, which aren't bad at all, but are definitely tires designed for pavement and pretty much, pavement only.

The Diverge is more of a light SUV. it can fit 38-mm tires, which is suitable for just about any surfaces---serious gravel racers riding exclusively dirt and grave roads usually don't go much bigger.

The bike will be a little heavier, but a little more stable. it won't leap off the line when you accelerate---it might feel a little sluggish compared to the Allez. but, it also won't change lanes every time you sneeze.

As far as I can tell the Diverge is designed to carry a rack, which means you can use it to get groceries, run errands, commute, and you can go on epic rides where you need to bring spares, extra food and water, a variety of protective clothing (hat, warm jacket, rain cape, whatever) The Allez is not.

Allez riders probably stick a Cliff bar and a couple gels in their jersey pockets and since they are riding on roads, can stop at a convenience store if they need or want more.

No bike can do only one thing. You can maybe squeeze 28s on the Allez and wear a knapsack and use it for shopping and commuting. You could probably put skinnier tires on the Diverge and if you were strong enough, keep up on some group rides.

However .... it is always better to have the right tool for the job.

if you can do some riding before dropping ~$1800-$2000 on a new bike, you have a much better chance of buying a bike which is well-suited to the way you will use it.

Both the bikes you listed are good bikes. They have great parts kits (well, not sure about the Mira mech discs .... I have the best Tektro mech discs (Spyres) and they fall somewhere between 105 and Ultegra in stopping power----not sure what the Miras do. adequate, I am sure.) Both are very good bikes, which you would likely never outgrow unless you got Really serious about competition. Both would be great investments.

But ... don't buy a Camaro if you want a Jeep, and don't buy a Jeep if you want a Camaro, right?
Old 04-05-20, 11:09 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
can you clarify how your current bike is "falling apart"? That bike should be good to go for thousands of miles and more. Bought it at a local shop and is the shop still open?
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 04-05-20, 11:21 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
can you clarify how your current bike is "falling apart"? That bike should be good to go for thousands of miles and more. Bought it at a local shop and is the shop still open?
+1. There is an unwritten story here.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: