Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Retro Mountain Bike (Is it worth?)

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-18, 04:51 PM
ivanefl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello !!
Recently I bought a vintage peugeot road bike from 1982 (I believe) in a pretty good condition and got it all clean and tuned up.
Basically I really enjoyed all the process and learned new things and I thought, why not doing the same on the other bike that I already have.

Bike

Aluminium Frame: Caloi
Stem and Handlebar: Rito (The handlebar is not the original one, it was replaced from what I know)
Rims: Vuelta Airline
Brakes and Drivetrain: Shimano Acera X

So, this bike was bought by my father for my brother in the 90's and its been "my" bike since I was able to ride it, however I stopped riding it and its been stored for years. A couple months ago I started riding it to university and I noticed that has some problems.

-Both wheels are wobbling and the back one has a missing spoke;
-Some cable housing is ripped and the cables have rust on it;
-The headset locknut is loose;
-The left shift lever dont work, it has a missing spring and something more missing (I think) and the right one feels really stiff and sometimes jumps from 7 to 3 (for example) with a little touch.
I found the same Brake/Shift Levers on ebay in case of replacement needed: https://www.ebay.com/itm/P-de-MANETT...#shpCntId#shId

Is it worth spending money on restoring it? (without taking in consideration the affective side)

Thank you!
Old 08-19-18, 06:21 PM
crazzywolfie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you had to take it to a shop to fix it probably wouldn't be worth fixing but if you do the work yourself it might be especially if you need or want a second bike. the wobbling wheels would likely be the biggest issue. trueing a wheel can be very frustrating and time consuming for a first timer. the missing spoke is not a huge deal but if you come across a spare or scrap rim it wouldn't hurt to put a spoke in if you can. i would probably do this first since it is the biggest job out of all of it. the rusty cables could be causing the shifters not shift smoothly which is why it may jump gears with a little help or not shift at all. i would pull the casings out of the holders on the frames and try to see how bad the cables to try determining if they need replacing. probably wouldn't hurt to replace them all if you want it to be reliable and smooth shift. it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the shifters especially at that price and if you know the ones on the bike are missing parts. as far as the headset nut goes just tighten it like a normal nut
https://sites.google.com/site/diyfor...ked-bike-wheel
Old 08-19-18, 07:29 PM
ivanefl

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
if you had to take it to a shop to fix it probably wouldn't be worth fixing but if you do the work yourself it might be especially if you need or want a second bike. the wobbling wheels would likely be the biggest issue. trueing a wheel can be very frustrating and time consuming for a first timer. the missing spoke is not a huge deal but if you come across a spare or scrap rim it wouldn't hurt to put a spoke in if you can. i would probably do this first since it is the biggest job out of all of it. the rusty cables could be causing the shifters not shift smoothly which is why it may jump gears with a little help or not shift at all. i would pull the casings out of the holders on the frames and try to see how bad the cables to try determining if they need replacing. probably wouldn't hurt to replace them all if you want it to be reliable and smooth shift. it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the shifters especially at that price and if you know the ones on the bike are missing parts. as far as the headset nut goes just tighten it like a normal nut
https://sites.google.com/site/diyfor...ked-bike-wheel
Thank you a lot for your help!!
Yeah im thinking in doing the work by myself to save some money.
But what do u think about the bike? Why wouldn't be worth fixing it on a bike shop?
Thank u for the link too

Last edited by ivanefl; 08-19-18 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-19-18, 07:59 PM
crazzywolfie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the bike looks like a pretty nice solid bike. i would probably install some front shocks but that is what i preffer. if you took it to a shop i think by the time it is all said and done you might almost be into it as much as it would cost to buy a similar new bike between the parts and labour. i am almost certain last time i priced out getting rims trued i think it was $40/rim which adds up pretty quick which is the reason i learned to do that myself.
Old 08-19-18, 08:42 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by ivanefl
Brakes and Drivetrain: Shimano Acera X
These are on the lower end which likely reflects on the value of this bike. Inexpensive bikes get lower end components . Fixed up, the bike is worth as much as a working bike. It is not a high end or valuable bike.
Old 08-21-18, 09:37 PM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Do the repairs yourself and having a functioning bike is worth it.
IMHO - keep the rigid fork on it, not worth the hassle.
Old 09-14-18, 04:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Depends on where you’re at meaning you might have fun and pride fixing up another bike and maybe you’ll take it for a ride if not put it back in the barn after you fix it up for your grandson to sell 😁 I went thru a phase of fixing up old bikes and after a few years was done with all that now I buy used ride ready bikes and only work on them to modify for my intended use or maintenance
Old 09-17-18, 12:56 PM
Delia Hogue
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this bike is a good bike still now. you should repair this. I think, not to worth restoring it. fix it