Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I hate winter too, but enough about that...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 06:50 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts

Now that winter is upon us (see https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...te-winter.html for how much love there is for it) i've been thinking of getting a trainer. i've tried rollers in the past and (fell off a few times) and never really liked them. maybe too boring. Am wondering what, if any, trainers you guys use? rollers? or stationary? the rollers were loud so would do that in the garage, how about stationary? loud?

-scott
Old 10-18-18, 07:07 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I have a set of Giant rollers that are much quieter than the mag trainer my daughter uses. In fact the rollers are the quietest trainer I have used. Of course, rollers are not for everyone!
Old 10-18-18, 08:21 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
rollers trainers, get some noise cancelling head phones.... and rock the music.

I am pretty sure the antiheadphone people don't extend their hate all the way to trainers indoors.
Old 10-18-18, 08:49 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wahoo Kickr with Zwift; watch old TV shows to alleviate the tedium. Works for me.

Mark
Old 10-18-18, 09:31 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Sportcrafter rollers with a fixed gear bike.

I have both the progressive resistance drum and high inertia drum.

They are not loud at all and I use them wherever I happen to feel like in the house.

-Tim-
Old 10-19-18, 12:31 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
All winter long I used a fluid trainer and Zwift
Old 10-19-18, 04:55 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I need to start the I hate summer thread. I don’t reckon the folks up north and in the UK will be too keen on it.
Old 10-19-18, 08:07 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
CycleOps fluid trainer here. I think the real key is to put any trainer in front of a TV and watch something while you "ride". I think it would be impossible for me to just sit on the trainer and pedal with nothing to distract me. That would be tortuous.

Oh, and don't forget to put a box fan in front of you aimed at your body.
Old 10-19-18, 08:15 AM
mrFreel

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Trek 520, Surly Straggler, Trek Roscoe 8, Fisher HK2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Jason. I also have a CycleOps Fluid trainer and have used it for the past 4 winters. It is not silent but does not make too much noise. I watch YouTube training videos as I ride. The boredom of riding my trainer makes it easy for me to get outside any time the weather is half way agreeable.
Old 10-19-18, 08:20 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I have a cheapo Performance/Nashbar trainer, and watch pro bike races that I missed earlier in the year..

You can build in intervals or harder sections by creating your own games.
Shift into harder gears when they're climbing.
Increase cadence when the breakaway is shown
Recover on downhills
Sprint at intermediate sprint points ...
ETC...

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-20-18, 06:44 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I got a Wahoo Kickr for the winter to supplement the fatty. Haven't used it much, yet, but did set it up for a bit and worked well. I plan on buying a cheap tablet and hooking up Zwift for the off-season.
Old 10-21-18, 02:18 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on one of these; it's on its way to me now, and when the weather allows, I can take it outside:

https://www.streetstrider.com/streetstrider3i.html

I'll lose my free gym membership at the end of the year, and I took a liking to the elliptical. But, yes, TV or video, and yes to a powerful fan.
Old 10-21-18, 02:26 PM
ddub

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Smart trainer and Zwift or RoadGrandTours. I have the Elite Direto smart trainer.
Old 10-21-18, 04:30 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
I just pulled the trigger on one of these; it's on its way to me now, and when the weather allows, I can take it outside:

https://www.streetstrider.com/streetstrider3i.html

I'll lose my free gym membership at the end of the year, and I took a liking to the elliptical. But, yes, TV or video, and yes to a powerful fan.
I'll look forward to a review...from a cyclist. Not necessarily in my future, but it looks like an alternative to a tricycle, recumbent or upright.

They claim a cruising speed of 15-20 miles (in gear 1), but I wonder what is a practicable distance to ride?
Old 10-21-18, 07:01 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
the street rider looks interesting at home. i just can't see myself using this out on the road. would have to get past that. still like the idea of rollers even though i fell off them a few times. i have access to a $79 cycle ops fluid 2 via craig's list. wondering if i should pull the trigger on that. there are just some times when i want to ride and the weather is not cooperating with me. by the way, what does the fluid pertain to? can't seem to figure that out. is there a container of higher resistance fluid that you are churning while "riding?"
Old 10-21-18, 08:58 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I'll look forward to a review...from a cyclist. Not necessarily in my future, but it looks like an alternative to a tricycle, recumbent or upright.

They claim a cruising speed of 15-20 miles (in gear 1), but I wonder what is a practicable distance to ride?
Distance depends on a lot of variables, of course, but everyone agrees that ellipticals of every kind burn a lot more energy than bicycles.

As to speeds, I agree with another person who said that manufacturers like to appeal to potential buyers by telling them how fast the thing can go, and they build machines with more high gears to support that sales pitch.

I ran the numbers on both of these through Sheldon Brown's gear calculator for both gear inches and for speed at 60 rpm cadence.

3i .........................................1st gear........................2nd..................................3rd
G.I. .......................................58.3 ............................79.6 ...............................108.6
MPH .......................................9.8 ...........................13.4 ..................................18.2

7i ..................1st ..................2nd ...........3rd ...........4th .............5th ..............6th ..............7th
G.I. ...............50.9 ................59.7 ............67.9 .........79.7 ............92.3 ............107.6 ..........124.5
MPH ...............9.1 ................10.7 ............12.1 .........14.2 ............16.5 ..............19.2 ............22.2

My choice of the 3-spd is reflected in the way I've compared apples to apples above. I didn't think the one lower gear would be worth the higher price, and I have a hard time believing anyone can get much use out of that seventh gear at all, given the aerodynamic disadvantage you're at on these machines. Also, comparing these numbers to those of my city bike, I know I can use this on the very moderate terrain between me and the local grocery store, because I can stand up to attack the little rise when I'm on that bike.

Also, I think cadences work differently on these and might usually be slower; I'll find out.

The opinion is all but unanimous that these are a blast to ride; the lean-to-steer feature makes it a bit like skiing, or perhaps dancing. It's also a very intense workout.

I'll be back with more once I've had it out on some pavement.
Old 10-22-18, 03:52 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
...They claim a cruising speed of 15-20 miles (in gear 1), but I wonder what is a practicable distance to ride?
Originally Posted by rollagain
Distance depends on a lot of variables, of course, but everyone agrees that ellipticals of every kind burn a lot more energy than bicycles.

As to speeds, I agree with another person who said that manufacturers like to appeal to potential buyers by telling them how fast the thing can go, and they build machines with more high gears to support that sales pitch.

I ran the numbers on both of these through Sheldon Brown's gear calculator for both gear inches and for speed at 60 rpm cadence….
Also, I think cadences work differently on these and might usually be slower; I'll find out.

The opinion is all but unanimous that these are a blast to ride; the lean-to-steer feature makes it a bit like skiing, or perhaps dancing. It's also a very intense workout.

I'll be back with more once I've had it out on some pavement.
Hi @rollagain,

Thanks for that informative reply. No further reply necessary, but I as a year-round cycle commuter, Iwonder if studded tires would be available.

BTW my usual commuter distance is 14 miles, with moderate hills, though I can cut it down to about 4 miles with a part-way Commuter Rail ride.
Old 10-22-18, 05:34 AM
simot

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Tacx Satori Smart with Zwift when it's raining, otherwise, I'm out there.
Old 10-22-18, 01:20 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Hi @rollagain,

Thanks for that informative reply. No further reply necessary, but I as a year-round cycle commuter, I wonder if studded tires would be available.

BTW my usual commuter distance is 14 miles, with moderate hills, though I can cut it down to about 4 miles with a part-way Commuter Rail ride.
The front wheels use a 16" rim that you can get all sorts of good tires for, up to Schwalbe Marathons. The rear wheel--which concerns your traction--is problematic; they use a 451 BSD rim, closer to a 22" than 20", and hardly anything is available in tires to fit it. I don't know why they chose that; I asked, but only got a vague non-answer. I've toyed with the idea of having a whole new rear wheel built for it, perhaps having a different gear hub, but definitely using a 406 BSD rim that would take a wide variety of tires. The machine would sit about an inch lower in the rear, but I doubt that would hurt anything.