Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chinese/Taiwanese carbon frame DIY builders #2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chinese/Taiwanese carbon frame DIY builders #2

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-18, 12:07 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts

Originally Posted by radroad
I visited the workswellbikes.com site and while they have a large variety of bike frames for sale, they have no geometry charts for any of the models. Where can I get this information? It seems like this brand is mentioned a lot as a reliable company, should I check out others? It looks like some people have had problems with dengfu. Any other brands I should consider?
Not sure what you mean about no geometry charts. I just visited PRODDUCT / ROAD-workswellbikes and the first three road models had geometry charts.

I used to go to their site frequently and Always checked the geometry chart on every bike I looked at ... but I thought maybe they had changed the site. Apparently, no.

As far as I know, Flyxii, Workswell, Dengfu and Hongfu and mayeb a couple others might get their stuff from one manufacturer (Flybikes?) but the intricacies of business are not my forté. Most people have had good luck with those brands.I stick with Workswell because so far they have been easy to work with and have come through with the desired product, but I have also heard horror stories about every Chinese CF frame manufacturer ... but then, people one this site claim that CF will kill you and aluminum frames will kill you faster, so who knows?

Old 12-18-18, 03:56 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
Seems like someone has failed to read, again.
Badgering me with question doesn't get you answers.
Answer you seek are within this thread, you just didn't look for them.
Ignore list you go radroad.
Old 12-18-18, 07:58 AM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Seems like someone has failed to read, again.
Badgering me with question doesn't get you answers.
Answer you seek are within this thread, you just didn't look for them.
Ignore list you go radroad.
Three consecutive times, you have failed to produce a single iota of evidence. Three strikes and you're out.
Old 12-18-18, 09:28 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Me trying to check out more generic builds on this thread and what do I see?

Old 12-18-18, 04:34 PM
radroad

Took a look at the geometry. It looks like I'm in between sizes, 54 and. 56. Right now, I'm set up beautifully with a 55 cm tt and 90mm stem. With either model, I'd have to go with either a 100mm or 80mm stem which I suspect would slow down handling noticeably or make it a little too darty. I think I could make either bike work but it would be less than ideal. The lack of info on standover is a bit of a concern as well.

An additional issue is the lack of clearance for wider tires on the disc brake version. 28mm should be fine, but the option for a wider tire would be appreciated. Going with one of the mainstream brands would solve all of those problems but would cost me at least $2K extra. Not to mention I don't really need an extra road bike.

If I could find a reputable Chinese brand which solved the problems listed above, I think I would go for it.
Old 12-18-18, 08:31 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
If I could find a reputable Chinese brand which solved the problems listed above, I think I would go for it.
well yeah, this is pretty much it to a T.

the lack of geometry details on many of the generic frames, whether it's direct sale, thru a holding company, or thru an online retailer(planetx, nashbar, etc) is both surprising and frustrating.

its why some products are successful and some products fail. A lack of details at this point of the information age is simply indefensible.

planetx has some forks I was interested in- I had to ask what the steerer lengths were. That is a simple product measurement which should be part of every product's page. No excuse to not have it and such a practice surely turns some away.
Old 12-19-18, 07:36 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

As I said before, most of these budget frames without paint and decals, there is no way of telling what brand or model they belong accurately.

They may come from the same or different factories and get sold by different sellers for consumer-direct orders & shipments.
Among the four framesets that I've purchased and posted on this thread; the different geometry, materials, finish, even mounting points for disc brake mount, derailleur hanger, water bottle cage mount or front derailleur plate all have rather vague tolerances. Those don't require a digital caliper to tell, because when you've built enough bikes from frames, these things can easily be detected visually, even before you mount a component onto the frame. Once a component is mounted, you know something is out of alignment on the frame pretty easily.

Geometry chart that seller provide on their website are hardly accurate to the frames that I've received; even more, the measurements provided by the charts are certainly not within tolerance of digital caliper is needed to tell, simple tape measure would do.
Like I said before, for budget framesets that are sold at 1/4 or 1/2 the price of a name-brand frames, they ought to be considered disposable and used at your own risk when demanded of higher performance (i.e. sustained max power output operations, rough terrain operations, etc)..the same applies to any bicycle.

Last edited by cat0020; 12-19-18 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-19-18, 04:11 PM
radroad

I'm wondering how many of these frames are stolen or plagiarized designs. There was another thread about a new Chinese component group of unknown and mysterious origins claiming ultegra level quality at a fraction of the price:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...2x11-gear.html

It turns out it was basically a rip-off of SRAM components. Details are a bit murky but it seems the company was 'founded' by chinese former SRAM employees who had plagiarized SRAM designs and manufactured from an abandoned SRAM factory! The quality wasn't even that good, as buyers were having great difficulty getting the derailleurs into adjustment, sloppy shifting, etc.

If these frame sets are in any way similar, it might be advisable to steer clear. I've bought a ton of cheap Chinese goods off of eBay in recent years and there's no way the quality is as advertised. Chinese sellers were lying through their teeth advertising 5,000 lumens headlights! Turns out they were 300 lumens lol. Fake/exaggerated specs are the norm for Chinese sellers. These lights work, but they are nowhere near the quality or spec they advertise.
Old 12-19-18, 05:29 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
And yet if you read this thread as well as a few on road bike review, that’s not the case. The frames just don’t seem to have either many build issues or failures. There’s a LOT of experiences out there of the frames being just fine long term.

I’m at 250lbs and have +3000 miles on a Flxyii, it’s lasted longer than the titanium Lemond I had, whose downtime cracked after 1800 miles, so I have a hard time buying into the concept that a $3000 Colnago frame is going to last longer due to its pretty paint and the Colnago logo on the side

Last edited by Steve B.; 12-19-18 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-19-18, 08:35 PM
radroad

Perhaps both sides are correct: maybe these bikes are built to lower tolerances, are a little rough around the edges, yet are just as durable as the major manufacturers.
Old 12-20-18, 11:26 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Details are a bit murky but it seems the company was 'founded' by chinese former SRAM employees who had plagiarized SRAM designs and manufactured from an abandoned SRAM factory!
Any proof of this?
Old 12-21-18, 02:57 AM
jbchybridrider 

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 149 Posts
I'm considering a Leadnovo aero frame, look pretty good to me for the price
Old 12-21-18, 08:02 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
I'm considering a Leadnovo aero frame, look pretty good to me for the price
If it looks similar to mine purchased on eBay, inquire if you have options with length of stem that comes with frameset.
Old 12-21-18, 09:10 AM
jbchybridrider 

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 149 Posts
^^^ No I was thinking this one painted or a white one. They seem like good quality as does yours.

Old 12-21-18, 11:20 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

The insertion range of the frame for seatpost doesn't seem to be longer then 100mm.
If your seatpost is proprietary like mine, you may want to consider ordering an extra seatpost and seatpost wedge; since the OEM seatpost comes long and likely will need to be cut to fit your desired seat height range; it would be wise to have a set of spare.
Took a while to communicate with my seller to receive the correct seatpost & seatpost wedge for my frame when ordered separately from the frameset.

Last edited by cat0020; 12-21-18 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-20-19, 07:49 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Received my Xshifter wireless shifting kit:

Micro shifter & cable unit vs a quarter coin for sizing comparison:

Going to mount this shifting system onto my Chinese TT frame to avoid all the tight internal cable routing at the handlebar/stem/head tube junction:
Old 08-20-19, 10:43 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Received my Xshifter wireless shifting kit:

Micro shifter & cable unit vs a quarter coin for sizing comparison:

Going to mount this shifting system onto my Chinese TT frame to avoid all the tight internal cable routing at the handlebar/stem/head tube junction:
How long did it take you to get your unit?
Old 08-20-19, 02:13 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
How long did it take you to get your unit?
Xshifter wireless unit? less than a week.. paid on 05 AUG 2019, received on 09 AUG 2019, shipped from Taiwan.

I didn't support the KickStarter campaign for Xshifter back in 2016 or 2017, I didn't even know they existed.
Only learned about them earlier this year through GCN's coverage of Taiwan Bike Show.

I saw wireless shifter system listed on eBay and used my rebate to purchase them at a significant discount.

Last edited by cat0020; 08-20-19 at 02:37 PM.