Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Recumbent advantages

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Recumbent advantages

Old 01-13-19, 08:54 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
Maybe not "no pain" completely, but likely less pain.
Old 01-13-19, 09:32 AM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
If you look at the whole cycling deal, many want to hang on to a bike design that was invented in 1890. While a modified version of it is great for single tracking and mountain biking, some of the negatives of that design suggest we should move on to newer and better designs. The main drawback of the pure diamond frame design is the tiny seat that DOES cause pain in the rump, no matter how much a small group of nay sayers claim it doesnt. The other is the fact to go faster riders jack the seat way up and put the handle bars way down. That causes two problems, first is the rider is bent clear over compressing his chest area limiting his breathing ability. Second it puts the rider in such a head down position that it is hard to see where he is going, which means he ends up staring at his front wheel much of the time.

So we come to recumbents, both bikes and trikes. They too have their own drawbacks. First the LWB bent are so long they are somewhat problematic to transport for their size, and the SWB are somewhat difficult to get used to riding with the feet so high off the ground. The drawback of trikes are of course their width.

Then of course comes to the advantages of recumbents. Fully open seating means full lungs for breathing. It also means setting upright gives the rider full 180 view plus. The comfort of setting on a large seat is of course a given. Trikes have their given of no tipping over, no need to unclip when stopped, and no need to find something to lean it against. Both bent and trikes have a more aero profile for reduced wind resistance for faster riding if that is what you want.

For the reasons above recumbent bikes and trikes are the modern alternative to the 1890 DF bike. Too many people keep hanging on to the antique design where it is not needed IMO. Casual riders would be far better served if they rode some form of a bent, for the number one reason, no pain.
yes absolutely right...
Old 01-13-19, 11:36 AM
robnol
Banned

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
90% less pain,and 90% more enjoyable... if ur gonna get all specific....
Old 01-13-19, 07:19 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Very interesting about old designs. Some of those low carbon fiber recumbents look amazing. I am sure they must be fast, cuz they sure look fast. My only question is how are hills. Also recumbents do not use upper body at all.? Another thing if you factor in off-road capabilities. I wonder if any thing made using both upper and lower body in a running style. I did see one of those "stair master " type , 2 wheeler go by once...

Last edited by rossiny; 01-13-19 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-13-19, 07:36 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
Very interesting about old designs. Some of those low carbon fiber recumbents look amazing. I am sure they must be fast, cuz they sure look fast. My only question is how are hills. Also recumbents do not use upper body at all.? Another thing if you factor in off-road capabilities. I wonder if any thing made using both upper and lower body in a running style. I did see one of those stair master type 2 wheeler go by once...
You seem obsessed with manupedes. Adding arm power might allow a little bit more torque on a short-term basis, but as stated back on page one of this thread, the overall limiting factor is the rider's cardio-vascular system, which can be maxxed out using legs alone.

What off-road capabilities? Bents are almost exclusively road bikes.
Old 01-15-19, 09:27 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
Also recumbents do not use upper body at all.?
A couple of years ago, I remember seeing a video, I think an old newsreel, that had a bunch of recumbents, and I seem to remember from 1938 or so. Very interesting, but I can't find it now for the life of me.
However, one video I did run across while looking is this one:
If you'll notice, at 0:58 in the video is a bicycle being pedaled with both arms and legs (legs reverse pedaling). This is from 1933, and I doubt it was a new idea then- so the idea's been around a good long while.
Old 01-16-19, 07:43 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
What off-road capabilities? Bents are almost exclusively road bikes.
I take my recumbent off-road just about every single ride; on the grass, fire trails, hardpack trails; recumbent does well on most of them.