Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

1st Impressions of a cheap folder: Sundeal F1

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

1st Impressions of a cheap folder: Sundeal F1

Old 01-30-19, 10:39 AM
Lovespicyfood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cocoabeachcrab
if you look around for new chainrings or cranksets, make sure it's not intended for the single speed chain size. you will want 1/2 x 3/32.
Good point, thank you! I think I will buy from your link, just need to figure out how much higher I am going to gear this up...
Old 01-31-19, 12:43 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 206 Posts
many thanks to Pinigis for the kick stand. perfect-amundo!
Old 02-10-19, 10:49 AM
Lovespicyfood

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thinking about swapping out my freewheel instead to get more speed, going from the 14-28 to 11-28:

https://www.amazon.com/DNP-Epoch-Fre.../dp/B007A8RPUS

According to a gear app I downloaded, it would give me ~4 mph/hr provided I could spin the cranks

If I got the biggest chainring I could buy (58), it looks like ~1.8mph

Only thing giving me pause is it seems the quality of that freewheel is debatable...
Old 02-12-19, 12:23 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
Given that silly freewheel costs like a third of what your whole bike cost, I can see the need to get some value out of the purchase, but Shimano quit making 11T freewheels, probably because of reliabilty/durability? DNP is the only one that covers that niche.

I bought two 11-30 DNP's for our folders in 2017. They were $29.46 then. Up $10 in two years. Wow. One has a 52T chain ring, and the other is 46T. I need to upsize the latter.
Old 02-14-19, 07:28 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
Factory gearing are use from factory for good reasons and there are plenty other bikes that are more efficient at going faster.

It's hard for me to sustain the tallest factory gearing during my daily commute, simply because traffic pattern doesn't allow higher speed without the danger level going up substantially.

Even with factory gearing, I'm passing cars between mirrors and dodging pedestrians that walks out in front of me without looking.

It's a cheap bike, I keep OEM items unless related to personal fit or comfort.. speed isn't a priority for folding bikes, likely it's not designed to perform at higher speed regularly or safely.
Old 02-14-19, 08:07 AM
Lovespicyfood

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cat0020
Factory gearing are use from factory for good reasons and there are plenty other bikes that are more efficient at going faster.

It's hard for me to sustain the tallest factory gearing during my daily commute, simply because traffic pattern doesn't allow higher speed without the danger level going up substantially.

Even with factory gearing, I'm passing cars between mirrors and dodging pedestrians that walks out in front of me without looking.

It's a cheap bike, I keep OEM items unless related to personal fit or comfort.. speed isn't a priority for folding bikes, likely it's not designed to perform at higher speed regularly or safely.
To each their own and obviously the conditions you use your bike in are different than mine. I will change my gearing to better suit my needs. Certainly the goal is not to race it on a velodrome, but get a few more mph. I doubt this will render the bike unsafe.
Old 02-14-19, 08:10 AM
Lovespicyfood

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Given that silly freewheel costs like a third of what your whole bike cost, I can see the need to get some value out of the purchase, but Shimano quit making 11T freewheels, probably because of reliabilty/durability? DNP is the only one that covers that niche.

I bought two 11-30 DNP's for our folders in 2017. They were $29.46 then. Up $10 in two years. Wow. One has a 52T chain ring, and the other is 46T. I need to upsize the latter.
Thanks for your feedback on the DNPs. I do hate spending that much money on a freewheel considering the price of the bike but I look at the “inexpensive-ness” of the bike warranting some investment to make it more practical.

Have you been happy with the quality of those freewheels? Seems so me people have been disappointed with quality...
Old 02-14-19, 08:45 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
I have a Steel Dahon that cost around $80USD $150USD (the frame probably weighs twice as much though)

I still ride it fairly often, its been so trouble free that its quite boring, its great for unexplored routes though.

Edit: $80 is crazy cheap for a new folder, I'd buy 10 and flip them for double the price if I had storage space.

Last edited by SHBR; 02-14-19 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 10:02 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Rides being more dangerous at higher speed is universal, not just to individual.
If a bike is designed & geared at the factory to be ridden at slower pace, changing the gearing for faster riding is simply inefficient and dangerous.
Like I said in my previous post, there are plenty of other bikes that can go faster more efficient.
Folding bikes are just not meant (and inefficient) to be ridden at sustained higher speed, that's not limited to each their own.
Old 02-14-19, 02:36 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Rides being more dangerous at higher speed is universal, not just to individual.
If a bike is designed & geared at the factory to be ridden at slower pace, changing the gearing for faster riding is simply inefficient and dangerous.
Like I said in my previous post, there are plenty of other bikes that can go faster more efficient.
Folding bikes are just not meant (and inefficient) to be ridden at sustained higher speed, that's not limited to each their own.
Actually, changing the gearing isn't inefficient and dangerous, it's just something a person decides to do because they feel they can afford to do so.

I've upgraded less expensive folders before,... And I've done so with the blessings, and even assistance, of bike company reps, as well as bike company owners. You saying it's dangerous and innefficient is your personal opinion.

As for riding a folder at higher speeds,...there's nothing wrong with it. If a person is capable of doing so, so be it. Again,...what you stated is your personal opinion,...not a fact. This forum is all about updating and upgrading.

Last edited by tds101; 02-14-19 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 08:27 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

^ How fast? ^

I wouldn't consider my cheap folder to be dangerous at all, as long as the tires stick, it can be ridden just as fast as any other bike. (on smooth pavement)

Sure its not as efficient as a traditional 700C bike, it can fit in a suitcase, and for me that is a worthy trade off.

It has paid for itself many times over in terms of baggage fees that most airlines charge for bicycles.

Last edited by SHBR; 02-14-19 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 11:36 PM
Lovespicyfood

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great to see some voices of reason. Changing gearing is not going to render the bike dangerous at all; it will now be more capable for its intended use / terrain.
Old 02-15-19, 08:01 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

OEM gearing is plenty capable if you have the legs.
Old 02-15-19, 08:22 AM
Lovespicyfood

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
G
Random pointless ramblings. First it’s dangerous to change gearing and now it’s because one doesn’t have the strength or endurance for stock gearing.

Why are cars outfitted with more gears these days? Why don’t they just make more powerful motors?

Because efficient gearing for the terrain/speed/cadence you ride makes sense. You can use a single speed to ride the mountains, but that rider with “no legs” but gears will catch and surpass you eventually.
Old 02-15-19, 09:50 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

If you are constantly running our of gears, then you're riding the wrong bike.
Old 02-15-19, 11:45 AM
Lovespicyfood

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
more rambling
Old 02-15-19, 12:28 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Sorry,...your opinion is just that,...opinion. This entire section of the forum is filled with people modding their folders,...who are you to pass judgement? Really,...
Old 02-15-19, 01:36 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

As if anyone is looking for a folding bike to start riding in local training rides to go fast?

Going fast is not a priority when someone buy a folding bike, especially at below $100.

If you want to convert a 20" wheel folding bike to ride faster with more energy spent than other bikes, go right ahead...

Right tool for the right job, there are simply far more choices to go fast than a cheap folding bike.

All above are just simple facts.. not just my opinions.
Old 02-15-19, 02:24 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

As if anyone is looking for a folding bike to start riding in local training rides to go fast?

Going fast is not a priority when someone buy a folding bike, especially at below $100.

If you want to convert a 20" wheel folding bike to ride faster with more energy spent than other bikes, go right ahead...

Right tool for the right job, there are simply far more choices to go fast than a cheap folding bike.

All above are just simple facts.. not just my opinions.
And there's many who purchased a low cost folding bike, then decided they wanted to put $$$ into it to improve speed and performance. You constantly, repetitively droning on and on about what a waste it is, how it's not safe, how it's the legs that make a difference, then go purchase a better bike if what you have is insufficient,...that's all based on your opinion. Constantly reiterating your points over and over won't change the fact that no one else cares but you.

This section thrives on modification,...you need to accept that. If not, move on. 99% of us like to mod our bikes. And this is for folding & non-folding bikes. I've modded all my bikes,... Even swapping a seat is deemed a modification.
Old 02-16-19, 12:05 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
Spicyfoodlover, I believe most of the DNP complaints come from riders that go far and fast on their bikes. These are the same guys who wear out chains. Who knows, mine could outlast me.
Old 02-16-19, 12:20 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

DNP = DO NOT PURCHASE

Machining sucks, causing excessive drivetrain vibration, and the pawls skip.

This is my experience with three of their freewheels so far.
Old 02-16-19, 01:02 AM
Lovespicyfood

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SHBR
DNP = DO NOT PURCHASE

Bummer!
Old 02-16-19, 05:54 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by SHBR
DNP = DO NOT PURCHASE

Now THIS is a valid reason to look at a different bike,...
Old 02-16-19, 06:04 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Freewheels are cheap, Shimano units are reliable, easy to find, and easy to replace if you have the proper tools. (a freewheel tool, a vise, or a wrench with a pipe on the end)

Also, it could be I just had a bad batch of DNP freewheels, however, I won't be purchasing any more.

Better still, get a cassette hub wheel, and use whatever gearing you like.
Old 02-16-19, 07:44 AM
Indigo82

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
You have a great nice bike. It might be cheap as you say but it has plenty of quality unlike some other cheap bikes that actually have bad components. This has almost all what one would need on a folding bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.