Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New strava user, current speed unknown

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-19, 09:18 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts

Hi,

Been using stava for a few days now and i like the web interface. one thing i have a hard time getting over is the lack of absolute speed on the phone app. i've come to find out that to get that i need to pay for it. sorry, not happening. i saw on the strava forum that wahoo can be used during the ride then the data can be transferred to strava, all while getting absolute speed. here is the question, does anyone do this and if so do the strava segments get captured as well?

thanks,
scott
Old 05-01-19, 09:32 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12741 Post(s)
Liked 7,656 Times in 4,060 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Hi,

Been using stava for a few days now and i like the web interface. one thing i have a hard time getting over is the lack of absolute speed on the phone app. i've come to find out that to get that i need to pay for it. sorry, not happening. i saw on the strava forum that wahoo can be used during the ride then the data can be transferred to strava, all while getting absolute speed. here is the question, does anyone do this and if so do the strava segments get captured as well?

thanks,
scott
Ridewithgps shows instantaneous speed*. You can run RWGPS and Strava concurrently if you want to record to Strava for social aspects. It may take a hair more battery to run both, but not nearly as much as keeping your screen lit the whole time to look at your current speed.

*technically not really instantaneous, probably a 10 or 15 sec running average speed.
Old 05-01-19, 09:51 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,031 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Hi,

thanks,
scott
Wahoo Elemnt shows current speed as well as average speed for the ride, complete with auto pause when you’re stopped. It will also record Strava segments. If you’re a paid Strava member, it can show live segments. You can set the Elemnt to automagically upload your ride when you finish.

-Matt
Old 05-01-19, 10:02 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
I've been a Strava user since 2012 or so. I've generally only used the free version. Started with just the phone app, but it just used up too much battery. I got a Garmin 500 in late 2012 and it was a game changer for me. Currently I have a Wahoo element bolt. I'd highly suggest one of the GPS based computers to use with Strava. Makes the overall experience much more robust and enjoyable!
Old 05-02-19, 02:23 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I turn on Strava, put my phone into my handlebar bag, and then observe my computer.
Old 05-02-19, 03:07 AM
mattleegee

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Another option
I enjoy Samsung Health, its free, gives audible updates of avg speed/distance, GPS if needed, auto pause if stopped, charts your ride afterwords with a summery and logs all your workouts
i just start it up through my phone in my back jersey pocket and go
And observe cyclometer to monitor cadence, speed, etc if need quick facts
Likes For mattleegee:
Old 05-02-19, 05:45 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
It doesn't matter to Strava, what device you use to record the ride. As long as it records a file that can be uploaded to Strava, the software at Strava will match up the segments that you rode. I upload all of my ride files from my Garmin to Strava with no issues.

In my opinion, using a phone for a handlebar mounted cycling computer is a bad idea. I'd much rather damage a $250 Garmin than a $900 smartphone. The Wahoo Elemnt Mini is only $99 and pairs with your smartphone to give you a display on your handlebars that won't upset you as much when you see it bouncing down the road, if it gets knocked off the bars.
Old 05-02-19, 07:35 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Get a computer and a speed sensor like the Elemnt Bolt. By using your phone you are at the mercy of GPS signal strength and any data associated with it such as speed and distance. I used to use my phone and a battery pack case as a dedicated computer until the GPS became unreliable. Also the Elemnt Bolt companion app provides analysis (for free) that surpasses premium subscriptions of Strava (as long as you have the sensors, HR, Speed, Cadence, Power, etc...).
Old 05-02-19, 11:58 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ok it's a simple fix ,it you are using a phone like me , my phone costs 40 bucks , it dies everything I want it to , if you are using yours mounted for live speed just download a speedometer app ,there are hundreds of free and paid gos based speed sensor apps . Other wise you can get a cheap computer , or a nice speed cadence sensor and have real time speed data . I have a lezyne micro color now I got used for pennies ,it super small give me real time speed from a sensor or gps speed ...
Old 05-02-19, 02:25 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I'm now using a metal mount for my $140 Moto X4 - search on 'universal bike phone mount metal' (no quotes); I'm pretty confident my phone won't be lost.

Meanwhile, the X4 has a bigger screen than any dedicated computer I've seen, and it's readable in sunlight and under clouds. Lots of apps provide metrics; and because I don't turn on data or spend hours on the phone, I get great battery life. I tried using my retired Galaxy S4, but I can't read the screen when it's sunny.

Would I like a Garmin 520 or Wahoo Element or even something like a Lezyne Macro? Sure - but I can't justify the expense. If only the bike mount looked unreliable! If only the X4's screen were unreadable....
Old 05-02-19, 04:58 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
Ok it's a simple fix ,it you are using a phone like me , my phone costs 40 bucks , it dies everything I want it to , if you are using yours mounted for live speed just download a speedometer app ,there are hundreds of free and paid gos based speed sensor apps . Other wise you can get a cheap computer , or a nice speed cadence sensor and have real time speed data . I have a lezyne micro color now I got used for pennies ,it super small give me real time speed from a sensor or gps speed ...
i like this option. will have a look to see what is available, something very lite weight.

thanks for the idea.

-scott