Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gear inches, gain ratio, etc - does it matter how we gear it?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-06-19, 10:43 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts

Something I had been wondering for a while about bike gearing - is there any functional difference in different combinations of front and rear rings and sprockets if they achieve the same number of inches (or gain ratio, or whichever metric you use)?

If I have two almost identical bikes that both are in, say, 54", with the only difference is one uses a smaller chain ring and a larger rear sprocket while the other uses a larger chain ring and a smaller rear sprocket. Both have the same number of inches, but achieve it differently.

I would suppose that the larger front chain ring would be more difficult to start pedaling from a start, but I'm not sure if that's actually a factor of the chain ring or the fact that usually if I'm in the larger ring I'm already geared up higher than an ordinary start.

Thoughts? Does it actually matter?

M.
Old 05-06-19, 11:06 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
If the wheel size is the same on both bicycles and the combination of big to small or small to big gives the same amount of gear inches then the effort will be the same.
Old 05-06-19, 11:23 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It doesn't matter.
Old 05-06-19, 11:45 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Well the smaller sprockets in the back tend to wear faster than larger ones, especially if they are aluminium or titanium
Old 05-06-19, 11:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Only thing I can think of in terms of difficulty pedaling would be if the torque differed--if one of the combos involved cross-chaining, it would be harder to pedal than the other.
Old 05-06-19, 11:55 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII

If I have two almost identical bikes that both are in, say, 54", with the only difference is one uses a smaller chain ring and a larger rear sprocket while the other uses a larger chain ring and a smaller rear sprocket. Both have the same number of inches, but achieve it differently.
Your example is incorrect. Your bike with a "smaller chain ring and a larger rear sprocket" could not possibly be the same gear inch as your other bike with a "larger chain ring and a smaller rear sprocket". The second bike would absolutely be a higher gear, and a higher gear inch.

Now, in a comparison between two differing systems where the final gear inch IS actually the same, the one with the larger rings/sprockets will be more efficient. Not by much, but it has been measured on test equipment.
Old 05-06-19, 12:04 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Gear inches and gain ratios are just social constructs. Beyond very trivial differences in efficiency, there's no real need for most riders to concern themselves with it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-06-19, 12:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Your example is incorrect. Your bike with a "smaller chain ring and a larger rear sprocket" could not possibly be the same gear inch as your other bike with a "larger chain ring and a smaller rear sprocket". The second bike would absolutely be a higher gear, and a higher gear inch.

Now, in a comparison between two differing systems where the final gear inch IS actually the same, the one with the larger rings/sprockets will be more efficient. Not by much, but it has been measured on test equipment.
There's also the issue that on small-small that fewer teeth are carrying the load, so they'll wear out sooner, but for this thought experiment it's not an issue.
Old 05-06-19, 12:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I just assume the incorrect stuff you talk about in the first paragraph is a result of typos, and OP meant to say Smaller/smaller and Larger/larger.

Stuff in the second paragraph--I didn't know that. Is there an explanation? Doesn't that make the most efficient combos cross-chained ones? That doesn't seem right.
Old 05-06-19, 12:09 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
In practice, it may matter if you select large/large versus small/small combinations to get the same gear ratio. More teeth in contact with the chain means that the loading is spread across more surface area, so wear (on the teeth) could be slower. I would venture to guess that heavy torque riders might wear in components faster, so this effect might be more pronounced than with, say, light spinners.

When possible, it's good to select gear ranges that complement each other with the minimum of overlap.
Old 05-06-19, 12:29 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Doesn't that make the most efficient combos cross-chained ones? That doesn't seem right.
Studies I've read showed chain line increases friction less than small sprockets do. (modern chains are pretty "flexible") I will post link(s) if I have a chance, or maybe others will.
Old 05-06-19, 12:33 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
The mechanical advantage for identical tooth ratios of front chainring/rear cog is identical. You'll go exactly the same distance per rotation of the crank. Your cadence at the same speed will be identical.

But, if you find two front/rear combinations that are nearly identical, there appears to be a slight advantage in using the larger sizes( this would be on both front and back), for frictional purposes. The dominant frictional factor appears to be the small cog, so the degree of chain bend and wrap seems to be the driving frictional issue.

That works for, say, 52/17 vs 43/14. But at some point, the chainline being more twisted matters. For me (Dura Ace and Ultegra 11 speed) I only use the smallest 8 or so rear cogs with my big (53) front ring. I also feel (pure conjecture here) that the smaller front chainring is more tolerant of cross-chaining, and I can do my two smallest cogs no problem.

The frictional differences are at most a few percent, though, and cadence has a pretty big impact on your physiological efficiency, so probably just adjust the gears to get the cadence you want/are comfortable with, without hearing any complaining noises from your driveline (that is, avoid big/big). If it matters (e.g if you are a TdF racer) then I suppose that they'd put you on a dynamometer and use calimetry to see which gear is best.

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/f...oper-shifting/

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 05-06-19 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-06-19, 01:24 PM
Payton1221

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Gear inches and gain ratios are just social constructs. Beyond very trivial differences in efficiency, there's no real need for most riders to concern themselves with it.
I think this probably applies to most, but I have one very, Very, VERY steep hill that I can't get up with one of my bikes, but I can with the other one. If I was going to buy a bike with the understanding that I MUST be able to ride the steep hill then I had better consider the gear inches of what works and the gear inches of what doesn't!
Old 05-07-19, 07:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Studies I've read showed chain line increases friction less than small sprockets do. (modern chains are pretty "flexible") I will post link(s) if I have a chance, or maybe others will.
Thanks!

I pretty much live in the high gears where there isn't overlap, so it's all pretty academic to me.
Old 05-07-19, 09:12 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Chain efficiency comes into play here. Larger sprockets means less friction with the chain links rotating less as they run through the system. And supposedly, more chain tension, meaning more torque applies to the rear wheel.
Old 05-07-19, 09:36 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
Chain efficiency comes into play here. Larger sprockets means less friction with the chain links rotating less as they run through the system. And supposedly, more chain tension, meaning more torque applies to the rear wheel.
The first half is correct, but a larger ring/sprocket combo results in LESS chain tension because the lever arm is longer on the gear. The lower chain tension plays into why a larger ring/sprocket combo is more efficient.

In the end, the torque on the rear wheel is the same, disregarding the losses. These losses are also fairly small compared to your power output though. They are measurable but definitely marginal gains.
Old 05-07-19, 12:34 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I have wondered this for years and played with different ring size combos front and rear giving the same gear inch and swear the smaller ring up front climbs easier than having a larger ring up front. It should not make a difference, however it seems that it does for me.
Old 05-07-19, 12:47 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
There's also the issue that on small-small that fewer teeth are carrying the load, so they'll wear out sooner...
That actually is a factor in my shifting - why wear out the small cogs prematurely?
Old 05-07-19, 01:00 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
There's a limit. If you're running 10/30 then the gearing is identical to running 30/90. However, throwing a chain three times the weight around a 90t chainring at the same speed will be causing increased rolling resistance due to the increased centrifugal forces whilst doing so.
Old 05-07-19, 01:11 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Some old racers I knew used to say that for a given gear ratio, small/small is better for fast pace changes and large/large is better for steady efforts. Is that true? Who knows...
Old 05-09-19, 05:16 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
I am more likely to ride in my 52/20 than 42/16 even though they are basically the same gear. Bigger chainring and sprocket have more chain wrap and just feels better.
Old 05-09-19, 08:11 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
There's also the issue that on small-small that fewer teeth are carrying the load, so they'll wear out sooner, but for this thought experiment it's not an issue.
However, here, there are lots of short hills, so I spend a lot of time on the larger cogs. I try to use the small-small when I can so the larger cogs don't wear out too quickly. Otherwise, my 12, 13 & 14 would almost never get used.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-09-19, 10:44 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
it matter because ....... the straighter the chain line the more efficient the drive train will be , even if its the same ratio or size , you want your chain line strain as can be in the most used gear and or 1 or two cogs next to it . id live to see a drive train use one chain ring that moves over with a simple hydrolic action so you can run 1x without loosing power
Old 05-10-19, 06:48 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
it matters because ....... the straighter the chain line the more efficient the drive train will be(
With the derailleur chains of ~100 years ago, this was probably true. As other's on this thread have already mentioned, with modern chains efficiency loss - if any - due to chain line is so small it disappears in the noise of the test.

Fun fact: early derailleur gearing systems (in the 1890s) moved the (2!) cogs side to side under the straight chain line.
Old 05-10-19, 08:18 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Something I had been wondering for a while about bike gearing - is there any functional difference in different combinations of front and rear rings and sprockets if they achieve the same number of inches (or gain ratio, or whichever metric you use)?
Yes there is. There IS SOMETHING very different about gearing ratio results - depending very much on the size of the front sprockets. Size matters!

Let's start by examining what happens to gear ratio results when using a 48 tooth sprocket. If this sprocket is used with a wide range 10-spd cassette - perhaps a 12-36 teeth range the resulting gear ratios would span a 4-to-1 ratio for high gear - all the way down to 1.333-to-1 ratio for low gear. If the front sprocket choice is 52 teeth - then the same cog selections result in 4.333 and 1.444-to-1.

If you can imagine that there are eight other gear ratio variations between these two extremes - AND - you review the ratio-variation between each individual cog's ratio - you will realize that ALL the gear ratios on the smaller sprocket are closer together than the big sprocket. (often called gear "steps")

And the point I am trying to make about the selection of sprocket size and the resulting ratios is that depending on each rider's personal power-to-weight ratio - there IS an optimal gear ratio "step" range for each rider.

However, in modern times - with everyone choosing multi-sprocket chain sets - there are so many gear possibilities few riders notice or care. In practice - one of the few times I would expect this gear "theory" to be important would be a big guy riding a loaded touring bike in mountainous territory. (never needing double shifts under load)

Typically other aspects of bicycling power trains are more often noted - such as making sure that adequate gear ratio ranges keep a rider in the saddle no matter the load or grade. And just as importantly the optimal crank arm length and seat position for cycling terrain at hand.

Harrumph.

Last edited by Richard Cranium; 05-10-19 at 02:34 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.