Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Outbound Lighting - is it worth it?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-19, 12:33 PM
rantoie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I started in this forum this morning looking for some recommendations about bike lights. My old crappy one has finally bit it. I thought I had more or less sold myself on the CatEye Volt 500, and was more or less ok with the price. Then I found a post here that recommended I check out Outbound Lighting's offerings. I really liked what I saw, and I would love to have one of the Road bike versions.... but I'm a little unsure that spending $200 on a bike light is what I should be doing. I know its going to be better than the junk I've bought before, but do I need that kind of light? I live in Montreal, so I'm mostly doing city riding, and there is ok street lighting, however there are insane potholes here, and there are some rides that are not very well lit at all. There is this part of me that says, YES I want that... and this other part of me that says you do not need that thing, its way too expensive, and way too much in a light that you do not actually need. I'm not a huge fan of the external battery pack, and read over on mtbr forums that they are working on a new model, that sounds like it would not have a battery pack... however, it might just be a helmet light, and something for trail riders, I'm unsure.

I should add: I've got a Trek 520, and I am considering doing some bike camping sometime in the future.

Since I'm on the subject, looking for any suggestions on back red flashies. I was looking at getting Portland Design Works Radbot 1000, but maybe there are better ones? It would be nice to get one that wont crack when it drops (like all the ones I've had) and USB rechargeable would be nice too!
Old 05-19-19, 01:50 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
For a rear tail light I use a Cygolite Hotshot Pro 150 (note: there's also a newer model the Hotshot Pro 200).

It's very bright, lasts a very long time on flash mode, is USB rechargeable and I feel confident recommending it.

https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Hots.../dp/B01IO12LCQ
Likes For tunavic:
Old 05-19-19, 02:50 PM
rantoie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Two quick questions about the Cygolite:

1. it doesn't seem to be red, which is what I was assuming you want for the rear. Am I wrong either about it not being red, or wrong about assuming you want that for the rear?

2. amazon comments seem to be complaining a lot about the mounting and the bracket (for the newer model as well). Do you find that to be an issue?
Old 05-19-19, 03:10 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by rantoie
...but do I need that kind of light? I live in Montreal, so I'm mostly doing city riding, and there is ok street lighting, however there are insane potholes here, and there are some rides that are not very well lit at all.!
Generally, you don't need that high powered off-road lighting for riding on roads.
Old 05-19-19, 03:28 PM
rantoie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Generally, you don't need that high powered off-road lighting for riding on roads.
They have two models, one is for off-road, and the other is their "Road Edition", I'm only interested in the Road Edition one.
Old 05-19-19, 09:26 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
The Cygolite hotshot is great. It is indeed red. The mounting bracket isn’t great, but the light also has a clip so you can attach it to a bag or article of clothing in case the mounting bracket fails.

The 150 is insanely bright, and I can only imagine the 200 is outrageous. Like, too bright. If you can find the 50 or 100 for cheap, I’d get that. They’re all plenty bright even for daytime riding.

Originally Posted by rantoie
Thanks for the reply. Two quick questions about the Cygolite:

1. it doesn't seem to be red, which is what I was assuming you want for the rear. Am I wrong either about it not being red, or wrong about assuming you want that for the rear?

2. amazon comments seem to be complaining a lot about the mounting and the bracket (for the newer model as well). Do you find that to be an issue?
Old 05-19-19, 11:17 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
The Hotshot Pro 150 mount won't work if your seat post or seat stays aren't round. If that's the case you need an accessory that's sold by Cygolite called a flexible seat post mount. Here's a link from Cygolite

https://shop.cygolite.com/product.sc...&categoryId=91

If you get the Hotshot Pro 200 it already comes with the flexible seat post mount so that's something you wouldn't need with this model. Link from Cygolite to Hotshot Pro 200

https://cygolite.com/product/hotshot-pro-200-usb/
Old 05-20-19, 08:08 AM
rantoie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I'm picking up a Cygolite 100, found it for $22 with free shipping!

Any thoughts on spending $200 on a Outbound headlamp? Its the main thing left that I don't have !
Old 05-20-19, 09:49 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
You made a good choice on the hotshot. But I do recommend the cateye volt for the front, I do not know what it is about them but the beam pattern just seems perfect for night time commuting.
Old 05-21-19, 07:55 AM
rantoie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192
You made a good choice on the hotshot. But I do recommend the cateye volt for the front, I do not know what it is about them but the beam pattern just seems perfect for night time commuting.
Thanks. This is the conundrum i'm in. I can buy the CatEye Volt 500 for about $50, and it will be another bike light that I've bought that will probably be 'fine' for a few years before it dies, breaks or I lose it. I can get the CatEye Volt 800 for $150, and its going to be a better light, than the 500 in many ways. Or I can get the Oubound Road light, which will set me back $200... It looks awesome, but requires an external pack. What I'm not sure of is if I should be spending that much for the light or not

Edit: If I would spend that much on the Volt 800, then I would just get the Outbound, so the question really is if the difference between those are worth it.

Last edited by rantoie; 05-21-19 at 08:11 AM. Reason: add phrase
Old 05-21-19, 08:17 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
These topics show my CygoLite Hotshot Pro 150 tail light and my Outbound Lighting Road Edition headlight

Another really nice headlight is the Stupidbright SB3000 headlight.
Old 05-21-19, 08:34 AM
rantoie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
These topics show my ...
Thanks wingless! Your review is really helpful. Now that you have had the Outbound for a while, do you think it was worth the price? Compared to cheaper CatEye lights (of admittedly lower intensity and less quality beam patterns!).
Old 05-21-19, 08:45 AM
wingless

Thanks.

Yes I don’t have any reservations recommending the Outbound Lighting headlight.

It is well made, excellent engineering and the company is great.

For daytime usage the blink mode is very subtle. In that area the linked Stupidbright headlight is amazing. The Stupidbright is still by far the best for daytime visibility.

For nighttime roadway illumination the Outbound Lighting Road Edition has an excellent beam pattern.

The Outbound has excellent thermal management.
Old 05-21-19, 08:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
NB: a clear lens over a red LED will actually be perceived brighter,

than the same red LED behind a red lens..
Old 05-21-19, 09:26 AM
rantoie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks.

Yes I don’t have any reservations recommending the Outbound Lighting headlight.

It is well made, excellent engineering and the company is great.

For nighttime roadway illumination the Outbound Lighting Road Edition has an excellent beam pattern.

The Outbound has excellent thermal management.
The external battery pack is something that has been holding me back, I kind of want something integrated and not more wires and things I have to detach every time I park the bike, for fear of thieves.... do you leave the cable on the bike and pull off the battery and lamp? I can't really tell how big it is, but it looks rather small. I'm also a little bit worried it will fit my trek 520, i'm a big 6'4" fella, so I'm hoping the tight cabling you found wont be an issue.
Old 05-21-19, 10:05 AM
wingless

My bicycle is never left unattended in an unsecure location, so all my stuff is always left in-place.

It is easy enough to remove + replace the headlamp and the battery pack.

On mine, the battery pack is removed every time it requires recharging. It is brought to the location where I use the included wall wart charger. The wrap around Velcro strap and cable is then easy to replace on the bicycle.

My understanding is that the manufacturer was going to increase the cable length a small amount, based on user feedback.

All of the really bright lights I've seen have detached battery packs. Yes, an integrated headlamp would be more convenient, just dimmer or less run time.
Old 05-21-19, 11:25 AM
rantoie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of the really bright lights I've seen have detached battery packs. Yes, an integrated headlamp would be more convenient, just dimmer or less run time.
I read over on MTBR that the fella doing the Outbound line is making an integrated headlamp... and it might be ready for pre-order soon. I'm wondering if I would want this, over a handlebar one, and am trying to decide if I wait a few more weeks to find out what is coming, or just go for it and hope it isn't just a trail focused helmet light.
Old 05-21-19, 12:16 PM
rantoie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems that I cannot read private messages on this forum, until I've made ten posts. This post makes 9, so thanks to VegasTriker who sent me a message, I could read it in email, but I can't reply, until I've posted once more!
Old 05-21-19, 01:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

these?
Old 05-21-19, 01:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Outdoor gear the external battery pack is a thing for mountaineers

you keep the battery warm under your coat while you climb, before dawn, in the snow..
Old 05-21-19, 03:01 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Light & Motion Urban 900 - $48
https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...ajor=3&minor=6

Amazing beam pattern and well made. I own two of these.

-Tim-
Old 05-21-19, 03:03 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I've found eBay is a good option for Cygolites. I've got 4 on my bike. All from eBay. All really cheap (but new and working)

I have the Hotshot 150 on the back and the 460 Dash up front. Those are my primary lights. Both can be seen easily in the middle of the day with the sun behind the light.

Then I have 2 Hotrod 50's (white up front, red in back) as secondary. Both would be more than adequate by themselves at night. In the daytime they are under powered BUT they can be seen from the sides better than the Dash and Hotshot which are much more directed straight way from the light.

As for the Hotshot mount....I have 2 mounts. I rigged a custom mount on my commuter that hangs from my trunk rack. I used the original clip part but mounted it to the bike my own way. It works fine. I have the standard seatpost mount for my other bike which I use upside down because it positions the light better under my seat bag. Even upside down that works just fine. I have no fears of the light falling off.

In the winter when I commute in the dark I add 2 cheap USB chargeable white lights to the top tube, aiming down and slightly out. This lights up the bike and the ground below me. They aren't super bright but they make the bike glow like there is a spotlight above me. Makes me easily visible from the side with this big light spot going down the road.
Old 05-21-19, 03:30 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Light & Motion Urban 900 - $48
https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Urban+900&vendorCode=LIGHTNMO&major=3&minor=6

Full retail is over $100 and it is still worth it.
Old 05-21-19, 04:39 PM
wingless

These spoke lights provide amazing night time visibility of the bicycle.
Old 05-22-19, 08:01 AM
rantoie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
*headlamp image* these?
No, not that one... talking about Outbound lights, not Outback.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.