Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

How not to be angry

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

How not to be angry

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 09:45 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I feel now would be a good time to repost this picture from a September trip that I had hoped would see an Indian summer but caught the remnants of a tropical hurricane instead:
fantastic picture
Old 05-22-19, 10:03 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
The forecast is good for this weekend. I am so excited, I have planned much too much. Let's hope I am able to accomplish half.

Old 05-23-19, 10:05 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I feel now would be a good time to repost this picture from a September trip that I had hoped would see an Indian summer but caught the remnants of a tropical hurricane instead:

The adage, "a picture is worth a thousand words", sure fits your photo. Just looking at it makes me feel cold and wet. Great shot!
Old 05-24-19, 07:12 AM
DT Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I feel the pain. We had our first camping overnight on the tandem planned for last summer. I was collecting equipment for 6 months for this trip. We had the route and destination planned out and were ready to go and then Oregon's 5th season started.
Fire season. It was so bad we never did make it. The rest of the year was so bad we had to look at the air quality before we could even take a short ride.

We still have all the gear and are looking forward to going soon.
Old 05-24-19, 08:38 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
The adage, "a picture is worth a thousand words", sure fits your photo. Just looking at it makes me feel cold and wet. Great shot!

I remember your words of encouragement on that part of the ride. Thank goodness the mountain portion offered up the sun!
Old 05-24-19, 09:15 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Happy, I had a day like that on a two day trip some years back, and I have to say, at no point did I have the inclination to set up a photo like you did, I was just too miserable.

But your photo pretty much sums it up.
Old 05-24-19, 04:53 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I almost always solo but like to try to document my rides so I can tell family and others a story afterward as a result I tend to take a lot of pics. It's sort of my reason for touring besides experiencing it all first hand. Two of my diving friends are photogs as well and we talk about and look at composition a lot.

When I was younger I climbed a lot but very rarely took pics or even had a camera, and then just a cheapo model (after dropping one off a cliff I gave up). I regret not having pics of those times as none of my kids believe I did anything like that

Last edited by Happy Feet; 05-24-19 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-25-19, 05:22 AM
djb

I almost always solo but like to try to document my rides so I can tell family and others a story afterward as a result I tend to take a lot of pics. It's sort of my reason for touring besides experiencing it all first hand. Two of my diving friends are photogs as well and we talk about and look at composition a lot.

When I was younger I climbed a lot but very rarely took pics or even had a camera, and then just a cheapo model (after dropping one off a cliff I gave up). I regret not having pics of those times as none of my kids believe I did anything like that
I understand incompletely the first paragraph, and as for the second, I also understand completely also-I've never had the inclination to do selfies or self portraits, and for exactly the regret thing I've never made any effort to do some, just as a record of how I looked at a given time in my life and somewhere interesting.
One small regret I have for this is never having any photos of me the few times I had press credentials at some motorsport events. In a drawer I have a few passes and stuff, including my assigned coloured press photo i.d. vest from a 24 hour of Lemans race, but not one solitary photo of me there or at any of the few races I was shooting at. I didn't do many and I was always small potatoes anyway, but a shame not one memory photo of me.
Old 05-25-19, 06:23 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Meh, usually it really isn't that big of a deal. Getting rained on isn't the end of the world and it is usually best to just tough it out in my experience, but if you have the flexibility of using the leave at a later date and want to put it off, then just go later. If you can't postpone without losing your leave and really want to stay dry, hop on a train, plane, or bus and head for a drier locale.

Best to just take this stuff in stride. I have had to tough out bad conditions or change, postpone, or bail on touring, kayaking, backpacking, skiing, and other trips over the years for a variety of reasons including injuries, forest fires, altitude sickness, blizzards, floods, vehicle breakdowns, and family issues. I've been stuck holed up and snowed in during a planned trip unable to do the planned activity. It is all just part of the adventure of outdoor adventure activities.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 05-28-19, 08:07 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
One small regret I have for this is never having any photos of me the few times I had press credentials at some motorsport events. In a drawer I have a few passes and stuff, including my assigned coloured press photo i.d. vest from a 24 hour of Lemans race, but not one solitary photo of me there or at any of the few races I was shooting at. I didn't do many and I was always small potatoes anyway, but a shame not one memory photo of me.
Being a photog at Le Mans must have been quite a treat! BTW for folks who've been watching James Holzhauer's impressive run on Jeopardy quiz show...it's interesting that while he's excellent in most sports questions, motor racing no. He missed a question about the World Endurance Championship, answering Paris-Dakaar instead of Le Mans.
Old 05-28-19, 08:48 PM
djb

I consider myself very fortunate to have been there. But it was a hell of a lot of work, planning to be here and there on a very long circuit depending on the light, physically very demanding because of distances walking and equipment weight, heat, little sleep.
A real slog, but again, I was very very fortunate. Especially as I've followed Motorsport since the late 70s, and Lemans is, well, Lemans, so being in the pits and garages of major teams and trackside was a real privilege.
But again, I was small pototoes.