Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

New to forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 03:52 AM
kltyler62
kltyler62

Bikes: South Coast Cruzers Slingshot Mag Wheels Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to forum

Hello everyone,

My name is Kathy, and I'm a 62 year old wife, mom, and grandma that loves bike riding.

I have been riding bikes from a child, then as a teenager, but took a break from bikes as I raised our two kids. I reintroduced myself to them again in 2012. My husband and I got multi speed fat tire bikes.

I was hooked! I loved riding my fat tire bike up until last fall when I was diagnosed with an inner ear disease called Meniere's. It causes dizziness, fullness in your ears, ringing, balance problems, and just sucks. There's no cure for it.

Needless to say riding my fat tire bike was no longer an option for me. 🥺 I didn't want to give up on biking with my husband, so I started investigating other options. I came a crossed South Coast Cruzers Slingshot Mag Wheels Recumbent Trikes. Something low to the ground that I don't need great balance to ride. I can't wait to get it. I hope I'll love it as much as my fat tire.
Old 05-23-19, 07:02 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums!
Old 05-23-19, 07:23 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums....Plenty of sub-forums here, so take a look around.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-23-19, 09:35 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Welcome.
Old 05-23-19, 10:07 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Glad you found us. This forum is much like driving a car in that you will find some individuals whose behavior is regrettable but the vast majority are good company and fun to be around.
Old 05-23-19, 10:45 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 86 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Kathy!
Old 05-23-19, 11:34 AM
kltyler62
kltyler62

Bikes: South Coast Cruzers Slingshot Mag Wheels Recumbent Trike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the welcome

Looking forward to talking to other bikers in the forum. 🤗
Kathy
Old 09-03-19, 06:13 AM
Cargo Guy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
South Coast Cruisers Slingshot

Reposting my response from another South Coast Cruisers Slingshot reply:

I have owned many recumbent trikes in the last 20 years, including a 4 wheeled recumbent. I will say that the Slingshot by South Coast Cruisers is the lowest maintenance recumbent trike you can buy. Basically, in 2 minutes one can easily reset/adjust the Sturmey Archer 3 speed internal hub and that is why I bought a Trailmate Lowrider. For me, I was enjoying cruising around my neighborhood and just needing the trike to be ready to ride when I wanted to jump on it and go. The Slingshot is really a copy of the Trailmate Lowrider, except it has improved on the design with the plush seat and less bulk/weight in the frame. Also the Slingshot will ride straighter and truer than the Trailmate because of improvements made to the front end of the frame. In my experience, the weight was not a problem, or the fact there is only 1-wheel driving the trike, even on steep hills (I live in Passaic New Jersey and it has a lot of steep hills). The height of the seat is a joy and this type of bike really puts the feet in touch with the drive-train because it is mild steel and more rigid. When you move the pedals, there is no give or bending of the frame or the components, unlike most trikes where there are chain tubes (yuk! I have had many trikes with idlers and chain tubes that caused friction on the train and sucked torque out of my pedaling. It was like I was waiting that split second for the bike to get moving, and I could feel the obstacles in the drive train through my legs and feet). I just enjoy the ride better when I touch the pedal and the bike just goes. Also I prefer the 2 wheels in the rear, not in the front, because it feels like my weight is nicely supported by two wheels supporting my weight. And yes, it looks really cool and that does matter. Make sure you check out people's reviews, print out the reviews and give them to the assembler so he can address the many issues properly. All in all, once assembled, this bike will hold up better than many trikes and cost a lot less. And it's a powerful feeling, for me anyway, to be moving a weighty, substantial vehicle, even though it's a bike. Most recumbent enthusiasts will disagree, but most have never owned this type of recumbent, and most of them also have different needs than perhaps you or I. In the end, this is the lowest maintenance recumbent you can buy and it is a lot of fun. I say go for it. By the way, I have owned: Catrike Pocket, Terra-Trike Quad with differential which I used to pick up my kids from school $3,000), organic engines SUV $2,000, 3 different KMX carts for me and my kids, a Triton, and a Trailmate Lowrider.