Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Damaged dropouts while installing star nut

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 04:26 PM
lamadonnabikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm building a bike and when i was putting the front wheel i noticed that it won't fit in one of the dropouts of the fork even though i tried it before. The only thing that changed between those two attemps was that i installed the star nut (using the proper Topeak tool and a rubber hammer).
I solved the problem bending the dropout but i'm wondering what do you do to avoid the damage to the dropouts while hammering to install the star nut
Old 05-23-19, 04:30 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,682 Times in 4,077 Posts
Originally Posted by lamadonnabikes
I'm building a bike and when i was putting the front wheel i noticed that it won't fit in one of the dropouts of the fork even though i tried it before. The only thing that changed between those two attemps was that i installed the star nut (using the proper Topeak tool and a rubber hammer).
I solved the problem bending the dropout but i'm wondering what do you do to avoid the damage to the dropouts while hammering to install the star nut
Install the starfangled nut with a front wheel in the fork. (or axle with nuts, or plastic dummy axle)

Or with steerer clamped in a workstand so that fork dropouts are not contacting any surface.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 05-23-19 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-23-19, 05:14 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Install the starfangled nut with a front wheel in the fork. (or axle with nuts, or plastic dummy axle)
Don't use a good wheel. You are effectively hammering your wheel bearings.

Use an old wheel or dummy axle is a good idea.

-Tim-
Old 05-23-19, 08:12 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I set the fork on a piece of 2X4 so the dropouts don't touch the floor.
Old 05-23-19, 09:03 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I set the fork on a piece of 2X4 so the dropouts don't touch the floor.
Me too, I made a padded wooden tool, a hardwood 2X4, I rounded over the top corners to fit into most fork legs. The padding is a thick piece of leather wrapped over and stapled/glued.
Old 05-23-19, 09:16 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Only when the crown race doesn't initially seat will I brace the fork with a wheel or 2x4. And I've done a bunch of each. More often I can hold the blade with one hand and whack away with the slide hammer. Andy
Old 05-23-19, 09:27 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I think I get a better result with my padded tool. I get a solid seat and usually only one fairly gentle hit with my dead blow hammer since all of the energy is transferred rather than being absorbed by my arm holding the fork. If I am lazy and do not know where I put the tool, I hold the fork but instead of using my dead blow hammer, I use a brass mallet.
Old 05-23-19, 11:19 PM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Why not turn it all upside down?

Sit, holding the inverted star nut setter on the ground between your feet. Hold fork upside down over that, place a wood block over the bottom of the steerer tube, and hammer that.

Use a dead blow hammer or something soft in case you scrape the fork legs, or use a really long wood block.