Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Insert Rx or On the lens RX Sunglasses?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Insert Rx or On the lens RX Sunglasses?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-08, 01:47 PM
backinthesaddle

Location: Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LCI_Brian
I'm -8.5 and tried the Rudy Project Horus, but the distortion at the edges of the lenses was too much for me. So I figured I had no choice but to go with the inserts. I went with the Rudy Project Exception because they have an insert designed for high prescriptions. I got them just before New Years - I've been pretty happy with them so far.

One question for those of you who have RX sunglasses. My lenses were cut so that I see 20/20 when I'm standing up straight and looking forward. But when I'm on the road bike, I'm really looking out of the top half of my glasses most of the time, so I'm getting a little distortion in the normal field of view (just like with my regular glasses). Has anyone had their optician cut the lenses to compensate for this effect?
I have Rudy Project Exception. I'm not exactly sure about the technical language here, but I think the opticians said they dropped the optical center 2mm to eliminate the problem you're talking about. I have progressive lenses, so when I'm in riding position I'm looking through more of the distance part and less of the closeup part than with my regular glasses.
Old 01-07-08, 03:44 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Has anyone had their optician cut the lenses to compensate for this effect?
I haven't, but I've known of firearm shooters who have their pair of shooting glasses cut that way, and I modified my own during boot camp to raise the optic center for the same reason. If you're asking if it's possible, then yeah, go for it -- see what you can work out.
Old 01-07-08, 04:11 PM
dekindy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With that much correction aren't you finding that inserts are the only option? There used to be a company that manufactured really thick lenses to accomodate any prescription and could fit virtually any brand/model that you wanted. But I have not been able to find them recently.

I have an astigmatism and have been limited to inserts. I currently have the Adidas Gazelle and like it well. I have the regular kind but wonder if I should have tried the Climacool option. The Gazelle fog more that I would like in cold weather and more when I wear my balaclava. I am trying various remedies. Clarity fog eliminator works some and works great on my regular glasses. I am trying a soap film next and if that is not effective I am going with a plastic lens friendly aquatic diving mask defogging solution. The Climacool's additional ventilation may prevent fogging better.
Old 01-07-08, 11:49 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got a pair of Oakley whiskers a few months ago, with a -4.5 Rx - I think it's about the limit for that frame. They were a bit $$ but completely worth it for the wrap around aspect , surprisingly they manage to adjust the lenses so that the focus is retained around the curve of the lens. I'd previously been riding with clip-ons which were OK, but the sun always found a way to blind me around my lenses. I was always worried that I'd get the ripped off by the wind when I checked over my shoulder.

There are other frames that I understand would accommodate down to -9, doubt they're wraparound though.
Old 01-08-08, 12:16 AM
WxGuesser

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo S3, Fuji SL1, Felt TK2, Cervelo P2C

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have ****ty eyes... so i'm confined to contacts or glasses... and i don't qualify for lasick due to a prior eye surgery to reduce stigmatism.. (RK) i find that when wearing any type of prescription glasses.. and i try to look "over" the lenses.. or trying to look to the side or back i can't see ****.... i vote for wearing contacts and regular sunglasses....
Old 01-08-08, 01:06 AM
LCI_Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been wearing contacts and regular sunglasses for years - unfortunately, now I can only wear contacts for a few hours at a time. That's good enough for weekend and training rides, but I'm stuck when I'm bike commuting to/from work.
Old 01-08-08, 01:08 AM
Wkend_Warrior

Bikes: Madone 5.2, Specialized Allez Epic, Giant RiconSE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since my OP, I have visited the SportRx.com in San Diego. It was a bit of driving for me but I must say they are the most genuine people I have ever met. Currently, I'm still trying out one of their house brand frame. I'm too is trying to stay away from wearing inserts. So far, I have tried Rudy Project, Rex, Bolle, Smith Reactor, and Addidas. Unfortunately, I just have a very bad combinations---poor Rx, heavy astigmatism, and a rather large head.

I'm very happy with the people in SportRx. They even set me up with a pair of lens with my prescription for a test run. I would definitely recommend them.

Ps- Just in case must of you think this is some kind of shill....just look at my previous posting. SportRx was recommend to me by one of senior BFer.
Old 01-08-08, 01:14 AM
LCI_Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also had my glasses made through SportRX down in San Diego. They were the ones who suggested the Rudy Project Horus, as they had the best experience with those for high RX and who don't want inserts, and they told me that if those glasses didn't work out I could return them and switch to something else (which I did, with no problems). I would recommend them also. Even though they're a 1.5 hour drive from my location, I've been working with them back and forth through the mail. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if they have experience with adjusting the optic center for cyclists.
Old 01-08-08, 09:49 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What are inserts and where/how do you get them? I am looking for a pair of sunglasses for my wife. I spoke to Tifosi and they said they could make her a pair with her prescription for somewhere under $200. Is there a cheaper solution? Thanks
Old 01-08-08, 12:06 PM
roadie gal
Out the door

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you checked out Zeal brand? I have a pair of prescription Zektors that I love. I've been very impressed with the quality of their lenses. I've had these 3 years and haven't destroyed them yet. It's a record for me!
Old 01-08-08, 02:06 PM
shmulb

Bikes: Jamis Satellite; Ellsworth Scant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
What are inserts and where/how do you get them? I am looking for a pair of sunglasses for my wife. I spoke to Tifosi and they said they could make her a pair with her prescription for somewhere under $200. Is there a cheaper solution? Thanks
Here at the bottom of this page. https://www.tifosioptics.com/rx.html - They cost about $25, then your normal optician puts the lenses in for you. You can also look at Nashbars sunglasses accessories page, they have insets for Bolle
https://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?c...A%20Sunglasses
Old 01-09-08, 11:46 AM
LCI_Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to call them (SportRX) tomorrow to see if they have experience with adjusting the optic center for cyclists.
I called and the lady who answered suggested I go to a local optician and have them measure how much offset I would need. That made sense at the time, but then I was thinking about it, and I was trying to figure out how the optician would do that. Set up my bike on a trainer in his office wearing my regular glasses while trying to read the chart on the wall?
Old 01-09-08, 12:39 PM
gabiker

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, Specialized Stump Jumper, Soon to be Litespeed Solano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out these guys. https://www.heavyglare.com/ I have bought two pairs of Nike's from them that work great and they now do prescription swappable lenses.
Old 01-09-08, 07:07 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Set up my bike on a trainer in his office wearing my regular glasses while trying to read the chart on the wall?
Doc: "Now, which looks better, number 1, or number 2? Here's 1... and now 2... or about the same?"

LCI_Brian: *huff*puff* "uh... One!"...

(which reminds me of a joke: What does an optometrist say in bed? ... Do you like it better here, or here? #1, or #2? )
Old 01-09-08, 08:58 PM
NRRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been looking into options for sunglasses also. My Rx is OD: -1.00, -0.75 x 150 and OS: -2.25 -.025 x 174. You think that would be a problem with the insert approach or is it just impossible to tell without trying on?
Old 01-10-08, 01:31 PM
Bob B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm -8.5 and tried the Rudy Project Horus, but the distortion at the edges of the lenses was too much for me. So I figured I had no choice but to go with the inserts. I went with the Rudy Project Exception because they have an insert designed for high prescriptions. I got them just before New Years - I've been pretty happy with them so far.

One question for those of you who have RX sunglasses. My lenses were cut so that I see 20/20 when I'm standing up straight and looking forward. But when I'm on the road bike, I'm really looking out of the top half of my glasses most of the time, so I'm getting a little distortion in the normal field of view (just like with my regular glasses). Has anyone had their optician cut the lenses to compensate for this effect?
Hey - after lots of searching - finally a posting from someone with vision remotely close to mine. Now I feel so NOT alone!

I'm around -10, with an (un)healthy astigmatism correction thrown in. Can't do contacts, and I'm waiting for the lasik people to get good really before going under the knife. All the opthamologists I know still wear corrective lenses of some sort. That tells me something. But maybe just I hang around with lazy, or hyper-conservative, opthamologists...

For sunglasses, I've always used regular persciption sunglasses: when I get a new pair of regular glasses, I just have the old pair tinted. They get "retired" into sunglasses. The frames that have been in style lately (very small lenses), along with high index lenses, are great for corrections like mine. No more coke bottle bottom look! 8^) The downside, besides the lack of peripheral vision, is that they don't make it into retirement as good shades due to the lack of coverage.

So... I'm also looking for a pair of good prescription sports sunglasses. The Rudy Projects keep coming up as a possible solution. Can any other "serious correction" types out there share their experiences?

Issue #2: I once had a pair of glasses made with the optical center moved up so that they would be better for cycling. I think any optometrist can do it. I remember that it did help a bit, and did not bother me when off the bike. It did bump up the lens thickness at the bottom corners, of course. But I think that was back in the dark ages, before high-index lens materials were so widely used.
Old 01-10-08, 03:16 PM
digitoast

Bikes: 1999 Haro Escape A7.3, 2005 Giant OCR1 (SOLD), 2006 Cervélo Soloist Team, 2007 Salsa ElGoGo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Rudy Project Exception... Costly, but they work extremely well.

I run -8.75/-8.5 diopter, 90ish astimatism, and use the regular inserts with the Exception. No need for the special "high prescription" inserts. The sunglasses are also large enough to fit my head; I am at the high-side of Bell's Large (63ish)... Big enough that even the largest chrono (tt) helmet available (LAS Chrono), I had to dremel out to make fit.
Old 01-15-08, 01:01 PM
Bob B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digitoast
+1 on the Rudy Project Exception... Costly, but they work extremely well.

I run -8.75/-8.5 diopter, 90ish astimatism, and use the regular inserts with the Exception. No need for the special "high prescription" inserts. The sunglasses are also large enough to fit my head; I am at the high-side of Bell's Large (63ish)... Big enough that even the largest chrono (tt) helmet available (LAS Chrono), I had to dremel out to make fit.
Thanks. I ordered a pair of Rudy Project Exceptions this morning. I'll report in on how the work out.

Gotta love the “features” on their website:

https://www.rudyprojectusa.com/products/sunglasses/styles/views/exception_view.htm

That's how everything will read when the marketing people finish taking over the world: Fake materials science, vague and unexplainable animal references, and computer generated feature names. ERGONOSE? Alpacca temples? Silicium – HA HA!
Old 01-15-08, 01:21 PM
Wkend_Warrior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob B
Thanks. I ordered a pair of Rudy Project Exceptions this morning. I'll report in on how the work out.

Gotta love the “features” on their website:

https://www.rudyprojectusa.com/products/sunglasses/styles/views/exception_view.htm

That's how everything will read when the marketing people finish taking over the world: Fake materials science, vague and unexplainable animal references, and computer generated feature names. ERGONOSE? Alpacca temples? Silicium – HA HA!
Bob,
Where did you order your glasses from?
I also just one myself. After a near missed accident by using a Rx thru the curve lenses, I have to surrender to the inserts. My Rx are just so bad that I was like looking through a fish-eye lenes.
Pray the inserts will for me.
Old 01-16-08, 11:41 AM
Bob B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wkend_Warrior
Bob,
Where did you order your glasses from?
I also just one myself. After a near missed accident by using a Rx thru the curve lenses, I have to surrender to the inserts. My Rx are just so bad that I was like looking through a fish-eye lenes.
Pray the inserts will for me.
Wkend_Warrior - I just ordered them from my local opthamologist. They even happened to have a pair in stock that I could touch/feel/sniff. Cost an arm + leg, but so do glasses in general these days. They did give me 20% off list, for what that's worth. With ultra-high index inserts and a polarized outer lens, I think the damages will be on the order of $375.

Oh - I jumped the gun when HA HA-ing "Silicium". Turns out that is indeed Latin for silicon, and is commonly used in Holland and Germany and France. Next time I'll do more research before HA HA-ing.
Old 01-28-08, 04:03 PM
Bob B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The promised review: Rudy Project Exceptions. Rx inserts, high index. Approx -10.0 correction. Silver frames, grey outter lenses. $375 thru my local opthamologist, including a bombproof, fireproof case.

Impression after first weekend:
- Nice! They fit on my head. The RX inserts have a very slight curve, and sit close to my eyes, so I have decent peripheral vision. Distance vision is great! Yeah!!!
- Excellent sun protection looking up, and directly to the sides. Looking down and to the sides has less coverage (think: opposite of the classic "aviator" shape lens), but that direction is probably the least important for a cyclist. May not be so good for, say, skiing or boating, but we'll see.
- They do look cool. I don't think a casual observer would even notice the Rx insert.
- The peripheral vision, when looking back over my shoulder to spot for cars, is not as good as some glasses I've had. Probably has to do with the lens shape. But I'm on a new bike that may have a slightly different riding position, so that observation is somewhat more subjective.
- I don't notice any "double lens" reflections. Maybe because the Rx and the outside lenses are so close to each other.

I'd rate them 4.5 out of 5 monacles.
Old 01-28-08, 04:11 PM
Wkend_Warrior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Bob,
As the matter of fact, I'm still waiting for my to come in. I order the same glasses as you and my Rx is less than you but I doubt if my stigmatism is less than yous. so, we'll see.
Good to hear it's been working for you.
Old 01-28-08, 09:01 PM
patrick07

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Langster, 2005 Giant TCR C3, 2006 Bianchi Castro Valley, 2007 Redline Monocog 29er, 2007 Trek 5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I realize that I may be posting this too late but here's the link to the glasses I use. They are large for me but I wasn't worried about my prescription fitting in these frames. The post in this forum indicates that the base curve is 8.00.
https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sear...earchid=652321

https://www.sporteyes.com/rssport.htm#Freestyle

Old 01-28-08, 10:30 PM
Wkend_Warrior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob B
The promised review: Rudy Project Exceptions. Rx inserts, high index. Approx -10.0 correction. Silver frames, grey outter lenses. $375 thru my local opthamologist, including a bombproof, fireproof case.

I'd rate them 4.5 out of 5 monacles.
Bob,
BTw, for that price what is the type of shade did you get with it?
I ordered the one with Ti frame and they told me that it only comes with transition and polarized lens.
I ended paying quite a bite and still haven't got it in my hands.
We'll see.
Old 01-28-08, 10:36 PM
ManBearPig
1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wkend_Warrior
I have a rather severe myopia and wish to get a pair of sunglasses with Rx.
[Side note: I can't do surgery for correction nor can i wear any contracts]
My prescription is around -5.00 and moderate stigmatism.
I realize you were trying to avert this side discussion, but...

Who told you that you aren't able to do eye surgery? -5 and moderate astigmatism are no reason not to get LASIK. I was -7.0 with LARGE (8mm) pupils and achieved 20/20 to 20/10 depending on lighting. And that was technology from 5 or 6 years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.