Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ebay Dilemma (urgent)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ebay Dilemma (urgent)

Old 11-06-18, 01:42 PM
igorek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ebay Dilemma (urgent)

Sold a saddle to a "nice" individual and I am about to ship it but then I see a message:
"I should have purchased the brand new one for $20 less. Took you two days to ship and I have an expected arrival date of 11/15. You want positive feedback? Then you need to get in the game! Last time I do business with you. This seat better be flawless or it’s coming back to you."

I want to cancel it what recourse do I have here? I already paid for shipping through ebay. Also my description said on delivery "Estimated within 6-9 business days
Includes 5 business days handling time after receipt of cleared payment." and "No returns"

Thank you.

Last edited by igorek; 11-06-18 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-06-18, 01:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
Why are you asking us?
Old 11-06-18, 01:49 PM
igorek

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Why are you asking us?
Thanks for your contribution who should I ask?
Old 11-06-18, 01:52 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by igorek
Thanks for your contribution who should I ask?
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess eBay. Am I right?
Old 11-06-18, 01:52 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
In truth, this individuals inability to read and comprehend the details isn't your fault. Assuming they do leave bad feedback I think you can contact eBay with the above and have it removed.

I would write back to them that aspect and offer a refund minus the shipping you have already paid and the listing cost.
Old 11-06-18, 01:54 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
New to eBay selling?

It doesn't matter about your posted return policy. The buyer has lots of power. They can get a full refund regardless and waste your time and shipping costs.

If not yet shipped, issue a full refund and get a shipping refund from USPS or fromFedEx.
Old 11-06-18, 02:01 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
FYI, when I sell on eBay I always ship same day and always select a competitive price.

If there are any defects then they are shown in images and detailed within the text description.

The only return I received in hundreds of sales was from an idiot incapable of reading that it was incompatible w/ his envisioned application.
Old 11-06-18, 02:37 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Yep I would be nice because the buyers have all the power. He can say it arrived damaged and ship you a brick back at no cost to him.
Old 11-06-18, 03:08 PM
dwolsten

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 1995 Trek 470

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buyers have all the advantage on Ebay, so if you're trying to preserve your seller feedback score and reputation and avoid problems, it's best to avoid pissing them off. I second the other responder who advised canceling the sale and getting a refund for your postage. Generally you can get a refund for unused USPS postage labels, but it takes a week or two to process. It works fine on Paypal at least; I've never tried it on Ebay but it should be the same. If you really posted the product with a higher price than the brand-new retail price, don't do that. If you do an auction-style listing and people stupidly bid it up that much, then ok, but don't do a buy-it-now like that; it just looks like you're taking advantage of buyer ignorance.
Old 11-06-18, 04:19 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by dwolsten
Buyers have all the advantage on Ebay, so if you're trying to preserve your seller feedback score and reputation and avoid problems, it's best to avoid pissing them off. I second the other responder who advised canceling the sale and getting a refund for your postage. Generally you can get a refund for unused USPS postage labels, but it takes a week or two to process. It works fine on Paypal at least; I've never tried it on Ebay but it should be the same. If you really posted the product with a higher price than the brand-new retail price, don't do that. If you do an auction-style listing and people stupidly bid it up that much, then ok, but don't do a buy-it-now like that; it just looks like you're taking advantage of buyer ignorance.
Well stated!
Old 11-06-18, 05:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by igorek
I want to cancel it what recourse do I have here? I already paid for shipping through ebay. Also my description said on delivery "Estimated within 6-9 business days. Includes 5 business days handling time after receipt of cleared payment." and "No returns"

Thank you.
I believe as a seller, you can relatively easily cancel an auction. I've done it with a mutual agreement once, I think, when the seller had misrepresented the item in the title, and I didn't catch it until I got a note from the seller after the auction.

I don't know about shipping and/or fees.

If your estimate is 6-9 days (listed in the ad header), and the item ARRIVES within 9 days, I don't believe the buyer has much recourse.

"Flawless"???

Disclose small scratches, whatever. If it is new manufacture, shelf worn, then be very careful with the listing.

NOS without current manufacture, and one would anticipate a buyer to look at photos carefully.

Anyway, I agree with others above. The pissyness of the buyer, perhaps it is best to just cancel the auction. Or ask the buyer if they wish to just cancel.

If it was "buy-it-now", and purchased reasonably quickly, then just throw it back up.

If it was an auction, look at the #2 and #3 bids. You may choose to do a "second chance offer", although as a #2 bidder, I treat the second chance offers with extreme skepticism, and would like the offer to be #3 + bid increment.

I.E. Don't offer it back at the #2 bidder's absolute highest bid.
Old 11-06-18, 06:18 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'd cancel the sale immediately. Then write to eBay and explain my belief that this person didn't read my description properly and will probably try to rip me off in some way as evidenced by his nasty message. As for feedback, who cares if you have one or 2 bad ones? It doesn't stop me from buying from someone with otherwise good feedback, and the reality is having perfect feedback these days requires the seller to basically be taken advantage of at times. No thanks. Cancel the sale and move on.
Old 11-06-18, 06:22 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
I've said it before, and will say it again, just as others have, the buyer has all the power on ebay. Sellers have little recourse. Does not matter what the listing says, it means almost nothing to the arbitrators. They rule in favor of the buyer most of the time. I bet it is over 95 percent. We sold on ebay millions of dollars each year and it became a total hassle that had to be accommodated to survive as our model was built upon ebay sales. After 2 years of putting up with people who took advantage of the ebay ethos, we began to challenge dubious claims of damaged goods, doesn't fit as described, item does not match description, etc. Had success doing this, and gave us the courage to ban repeat offenders. Over time we developed our own website which accounted for 50% of sales at the time I left the company 5 years ago.

I don't buy or sell on ebay. Just ain't worth the hassle to deal with someone in the virtual world as what you see is not who they are.
Old 11-06-18, 07:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Usually I would recommend talking with someone like eBay. Of course this situation requires bigger guns so I would probably talk to eBay. However if you are still unsure there is a website out there that can solve all of your problems, it is www dot eBay dot com.
Old 11-06-18, 07:28 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I once had a seller cancel a purchase and issue me a full refund because they stated they couldn't find the item (was a bike shop I had used previously that offered an eccentric collection of old parts). As I recall, eBay didn't even give me the option to rate the transaction.

I'd cancel, or I'd expect to find myself out the money and product.
Old 11-06-18, 08:33 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by dwolsten
If you really posted the product with a higher price than the brand-new retail price, don't do that. If you do an auction-style listing and people stupidly bid it up that much, then ok, but don't do a buy-it-now like that; it just looks like you're taking advantage of buyer ignorance.
why would he not ask for what price he thinks he can get (and apparently did)? this article may be available at 100 different prices all over and he can't possibly know what the lowest price is.
obviously not every seller can be the lowest.
Old 11-06-18, 09:17 PM
dwolsten

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 1995 Trek 470

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
why would he not ask for what price he thinks he can get (and apparently did)? this article may be available at 100 different prices all over and he can't possibly know what the lowest price is.
obviously not every seller can be the lowest.
Yes, but then you run the risk of a buyer finding out after winning that they've been had. Sure, you can say "caveat emptor", but remember that the buyer has the power to give you negative feedback here, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Ebay will not help you. Just like with brick-and-mortar stores where shopkeepers with bad service and high prices earn a bad reputation, the same happens on Ebay with their feedback system. I guess you could call it karma...

As for knowing what the lowest price is, it takes all of about 30 seconds to go to shopping.google.com and enter the name of your product and find out what it's selling for. Personally I generally look for the same product on Ebay (only) and then post a price in line with what other sellers are listing it for, or perhaps just a little less so mine will sell first.

Note that if your product is something rare or unique, almost none of this applies.
Old 11-06-18, 09:22 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Be polite and allow buyer to cancel. Buyer sounds irrational. Not worth the hassle.

I think you can get the shipping cost you've already paid refunded.

edit: do all communications through ebay messaging. Frame the communication as you are offering the buyer a chance to cancel transaction.

Last edited by tyrion; 11-06-18 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-06-18, 09:27 PM
qbiker

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a constant customer of E-Bay If I were in your place I'd give them a refund because there not happy over price and regret the purchase.Apologize for there lost time your not going to make them happy from here they can do more damage than money lost once they get a chance to rate you. Yesterday I sent $950 for a generator yesterday I feel comfortable doing this because if there's a problem E-Bay will protect me.
Old 11-06-18, 10:44 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
No sense dealing with a turd. Cancel, refund the money, get a shipping refund and relist. And block the buyer. You can do that.

Also, no sense in being a turd. tyrion's right on the mark. "Thanks for your note. I can see that you're disappointed with this purchase. In line with the clear message of your note, I'm cancelling the sale and will be refunding your full purchase price."

That's it.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 11-06-18 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-07-18, 09:26 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
Sounds like the buyer wants to blame you for their decision to buy your helmet rather than a new one at a lower price.

Offer to refund their money if they return your helmet at their cost.
Old 11-07-18, 09:29 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Yep I would be nice because the buyers have all the power. He can say it arrived damaged and ship you a brick back at no cost to him.
Stipulate that you'll refund their money if they return the helmet in the unopened package you shipped to them.
Old 11-07-18, 12:07 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
This and other experiences like this are why I don't sell on eBay. Agree that you don't want to give this person a chance to leave any feedback. If you can cancel the deal, I'd send them a very generic/robotic message, e.g. as mentioned above, "Thanks for your note. I understand you're unhappy with the price and speed of shipping. We'll be refunding your full purchase price."
Old 11-07-18, 05:40 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
"Stipulate that you'll refund their money if they return the helmet in the unopened package you shipped to them."

Good luck with that. Ebay cares not the stipulations for return or other stipulations listed in the posting. I guess I am jaded as we sold hundreds of items a day and that added up to a mound of bad experiences over the years.
Old 11-07-18, 05:50 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
If the buyer is this much of a pain in the ass BEFORE they have the item in their possession, just think about how big of a pain in the ass they will be AFTER they have the item in their possession. They already have a bee in their bonnet so nothing good can come of this.

On a side note, I think this person does not understand the meaning of personal responsibility, but that's neither here nor there since they can neg you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.