Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Considering Road Cycling in Italy - Need Help

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-19, 08:07 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts

I know it's Winter but a roadie has to dream and plan, right?

My wife (non cyclist) is interested in possibly going to Italy this year. She is a culture vulture so we need to find a place that is somewhat cosmopolitan and has museums and other interesting opportunities for her but has good road cycling for me.

She suggested Rome but I am guessing it's way too crowded and congested to feature good cycling nearby. True??

Any ideas on cities and/or regions in Italy that have good roads and safe/fun for cycling that also offer city/metropolitan experiences for my wife?

FWIW we went to Spain 1 1/2 years ago and spent most of our time in Barcelona with a few days in Girona, and that was perfect. Something similar in Italy would be ideal.
Old 01-04-19, 08:52 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas

My wife (non cyclist) is interested in possibly going to Italy this year. She is a culture vulture so we need to find a place that is somewhat cosmopolitan and has museums and other interesting opportunities for her but has good road cycling for me.

She suggested Rome but I am guessing it's way too crowded and congested to feature good cycling nearby. True??

Any ideas on cities and/or regions in Italy that have good roads and safe/fun for cycling that also offer city/metropolitan experiences for my wife?

FWIW we went to Spain 1 1/2 years ago and spent most of our time in Barcelona with a few days in Girona, and that was perfect. Something similar in Italy would be ideal.
I would recommend Tuscany. You could stay in Florence and cycle around the area. It is amazingly beautiful with hilly, challenging terrain. Rome is also nice and the area out of the city is great for cycling as well...you may also consider Northern Italy. I live in Pordenone which is at the foot of the Italian Dolomites and has incredible cycling. As far as culture, there’s I plenty to see anywhere in Italy...
Old 01-04-19, 08:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,563 Times in 7,333 Posts
Will you be renting a car for your stay? And how long?
Old 01-04-19, 09:41 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts

Ben King, a world tour pro who happens to hail from RVA as well, lives and trains in Lucca. It's a beautiful walled city in Tuscany, I visited there about 10 years ago myself and it was absolutely gorgeous and perfect for cycling. All of Tuscany, in fact, is essentially cycling paradise. 10/10 would recommend to the Doug clan.
Old 01-04-19, 09:47 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Ben King, a world tour pro who happens to hail from RVA as well, lives and trains in Lucca. It's a beautiful walled city in Tuscany, I visited there about 10 years ago myself and it was absolutely gorgeous and perfect for cycling. All of Tuscany, in fact, is essentially cycling paradise. 10/10 would recommend to the Doug clan.
Perhaps in a similar vein, I'd consider something like this, which allows the non-cyclist to occupy themselves with learning some culinary skills (of course, there has to be an interest in such):
https://www.cinghiale.com/tours/cooking-cycling/
Old 01-04-19, 09:49 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Perhaps in a similar vein, I'd consider something like this, which allows the non-cyclist to occupy themselves with learning some culinary skills (of course, there has to be an interest in such):
https://www.cinghiale.com/tours/cooking-cycling/
That right there is my dream vacation.
Old 01-04-19, 10:09 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Florence and Lucca, Pisa is next door as well.

4 things in abundance in Tuscany, good cycling opportunities, cultural attractions, food and wine. Oh and nice people.

The Arno river valley, west from Florence has some flattish riding as does the coast. Or many, many hills north and south of the river. I loved Lucca and it’s a quick train ride to Florence for day trips.
Old 01-04-19, 10:11 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I want to respond to your concerns about good roads and safety...
I’ve been to various areas of Italy but never had the opportunity to cycle there. I’ve visited other European countries too. I lived in southern Spain for three years where I did get to ride regularly. It was always my experience and observation that motorists in Europe are much more accepting and tolerant of cyclists. Even on roads that don’t have shoulders...bikes seem to be safer than what we expect in the U.S.

Dan
Old 01-04-19, 10:21 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Will you be renting a car for your stay? And how long?
No car. Will take public transportation. Would likely stay for 10 days, so likely 2 locations 5 days each. But flexible. Would rent road bike rather than take it with me.
Old 01-04-19, 10:23 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I’ve been to various areas of Italy but never had the opportunity to cycle there. I’ve visited other European countries too. I lived in southern Spain for three years where I did get to ride regularly. It was always my experience and observation that motorists in Europe are much more accepting and tolerant of cyclists. Even on roads that don’t have shoulders...bikes seem to be safer than what we expect in the U.S.

Dan
Yeah I rode a lot in Spain and safety was not an issue. That said, I am in no hurry to ride in Rome proper.

p.s. I would be happy to go back to Spain because I speak the language. But my spouse wants to try some place new. We are also thrifty travelers so cost is a factor, hence any touring I do would be self-guided or shop rides.

Last edited by datlas; 01-04-19 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-04-19, 12:20 PM
indyfabz

No car. Will take public transportation. Would likely stay for 10 days, so likely 2 locations 5 days each. But flexible. Would rent road bike rather than take it with me.
Probably to "remote" for the wife without a car, but I'll throw it out anyway:

Bicycle Tours in Italy

Spent nearly two weeks there in 2013. Great riding, the food is quite good and the all-inclusive nature caters to the "thrifty." You can easily take a bus/train day trip to Venice, but without a car it may be tough for the wife to get to locations other than the main town of Bassano easily.
Old 01-04-19, 12:23 PM
indyfabz

I lived in southern Spain for three years where I did get to ride regularly.
We probably discussed this way back, but where exactly? I toured Andalucía for 7 weeks back in 2000. Loved it. The only time I remember having a "run in" with a motorist was outside of Sevilla, the day before I was to fly home. He pulled out of a parking lot without looking. When he realized what he had done he was most apologetic.
Old 01-04-19, 12:52 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

We probably discussed this way back, but where exactly? I toured Andalucía for 7 weeks back in 2000. Loved it. The only time I remember having a "run in" with a motorist was outside of Sevilla, the day before I was to fly home. He pulled out of a parking lot without looking. When he realized what he had done he was most apologetic.
Yes, down in Andalucia. In Puerto de Santa Maria not far from*Jerez. I was in the US Navy stationed at the base in Rota.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 01-04-19 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-04-19, 12:54 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Yeah I rode a lot in Spain and safety was not an issue. That said, I am in no hurry to ride in Rome proper.

p.s. I would be happy to go back to Spain because I speak the language. But my spouse wants to try some place new. We are also thrifty travelers so cost is a factor, hence any touring I do would be self-guided or shop rides.
Of course riding within the city limits of any city always presents its own set of challenges. Although I still found that safer than in the US, I was speaking more about riding in the suburban and rural areas.

Dan
Old 01-04-19, 01:12 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Yes, down in Andalucia. In Puerto de Santa Maria not far from*Jerez. I was in the US Navy stationed at the base in Rota.

Dan
I actually sent an email to the Commanding Officer of the hospital in Rota to see if I could get a civilian job there. Guy was super kind enough to answer but told me only enlisted jobs in my field. Bummer. I would LOVE to live there for a few years.
Old 01-04-19, 01:55 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Probably to "remote" for the wife without a car, but I'll throw it out anyway:

Bicycle Tours in Italy

Spent nearly two weeks there in 2013. Great riding, the food is quite good and the all-inclusive nature caters to the "thrifty." You can easily take a bus/train day trip to Venice, but without a car it may be tough for the wife to get to locations other than the main town of Bassano easily.
Does it cater to the "still drives a Saturn" level of thrifty we're dealing with in this thread? Asking for a friend.
Old 01-04-19, 02:33 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Does it cater to the "still drives a Saturn" level of thrifty we're dealing with in this thread? Asking for a friend.
When I went in 2013 it was somewhere around $125/day/person with the existing exchange rate, which included lodging, three meals and wine with lunch and dinner. Prosecco was on your own dime, but it was only a couple bucks a glass.
Old 01-04-19, 02:52 PM
indyfabz

Dan
Ah. Closest I got to Jerez was Arcos de la Frontera before returning to Sevilla after doing a clockwise loop around the territory.
Old 01-04-19, 03:17 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Having lived in Southern Italy in the early 1980s, I'd recommend riding the Amalfi coast. Great scenery, nice little beachtowns like Amalfi and Positano, and close to bigger cities like Sorrento and, of course, Napoli. Napoli is not Rome and certainly not Florence, but it has a lot of charms of its own (and where else would you go for pizza). Contact the folks at Milano Cicli who are in tune with the full spectrum of the local cycling scene.
Old 01-04-19, 03:18 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

Dan
That was my experience in Italy. We stayed in a smaller walled city in SE Tuscany called Castiglion Fiorentino. The local bike shop owner drew up some routes for me which were popular among the local roadies and cars were very accepting. They'd wait for a safe place to pass and then they'd do so without drama. It was heaven.
Old 01-05-19, 02:01 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
We had a friend who lived in Vicenza (he worked for US Army, 173rd ABN is garrisoned there). Very nice town itself (home of Campy, but nothing really to see of that). Lots of cycling in the surrounding area. Via regionale train you can day trip to various interesting towns in Veneto, including Venice. You're also close to South Tyrol and Passo dello Stelvio (probably need a car for that).

scott s.
Old 01-05-19, 02:52 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
The trains in Italy are great. Start somewhere in the middle and you can get anywhere in 1/2 day.

How much of a "non-cyclist" is your wife?

I spent quite some time in Parma which is very centrally located in the north. Home of Parmasan Cheese and Parma Hams. The area to the north of the city is almost entirely flat. Ok, as a boy, castles were fun, and I rode to every castle within about a 30 mile radius of Parma. There is a little moated castle to the north. I forgot the name Cool prisms in the towers.

To the south is wine country (although a bit hillier). Torrechiara.

I even stumbled across Canossa, which appears in quite a few history books (also hilly).

Heading west (by train), Cinque Terre is a wonderful beach area, and a great day hike between the 5 towns (not the best for cycling).

Heading south-west one gets to Pisa.

Heading East one gets to Venice.

South East to Florence.

Northwest to Milano.

Oh, and for the car buffs, don't forget Modena.

There is something special about some of the smaller cities and away from all the tourists.
Old 01-05-19, 09:42 AM
dolomoto

Bikes: Flat bar commuter, Ti roadie, BF Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's quite a network of bike trails and MUP over most of Italy. For instance, you can ride from the Venice airport to Vicenza (55 miles) and only spend a few miles on streets. You can also cycle from Munich to Venice almost exclusively on cycling paths.

I can't post the links (new user) but if you do an internet search for "italy cycling guide", it should lead you to a great resource. Another search term is "tutto berici cycling", lists many cycling routes.
Old 01-05-19, 09:57 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Umbria. Close to Rome, and great cycling. Cheaper than Tuscany. Winter is cold though.
Old 01-05-19, 10:42 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
My wife and I have been to Italy several times and two cycling in Tuscany. The most recent was 4 years ago with the Cycling House.

Rome offers a lot of culture and art such as the Sistine Chapel, Vatican, Coliseum and etc, and other interests and of course there is cycling outside the city. So it would strike me a trip to Rome would require extra logistics to get out of the city to ride. Most Italian tours or cruises offer an excursion to Florence due to its unique culture and history.

The Cycling House partners with a Bed and Breakfast in that is about 10K from Sienna and about 60K from Florence. The accommodations were great and the food out of this world. The family that owns the facility provided all the meals cooked in the Tuscan tradition with fruit and vegetables provided from neighboring farms. The owner Anrea Rossi is an excellent cyclist and leads tours all over Itally including Tuscany. One rides out the door onto fabulous roads for cycling. In addition, the Strade Bianchi is about a mile away where one can do miles of gravel riding on the same course that the pros ride the Hell of the South.

I am sure that you could contact Andrea via his Facebook page and inquire what options there are for accommodations, food and cycling. The Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/BedAndBreak...08802&fref=tag

So the B&B is fabulous for food, cycling and romance but short on museums. However, Sienna and Florence are drivable and of course there is the local Italian wine including Chianti and Brunello.

So one could stay x days at the B&B and Y days in Florence. I cannot address the cheap or not cheap aspect since I travel and bike to feel fabulous. YMMV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.