Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Steel disc frame for long legs, short torso?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-19, 11:06 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts

I've been searching for a while, but haven't been able to find something in the $700-$1000 range that fits my long leg/short torso build. Anyone know of any steel disc cx/gravel/monster cross frames (no press fit BB, please) that might do the trick? I've listed below the stuff I have already looked at, but they all have top tubes longer than seat tubes aka a long reach relative to the stack. Let me know, though if you are in the same boat as me and have found bike fit bliss on one of those frames.

For the perfect fit, am I stuck saving up my pennies and going custom with something reasonably priced like a Gunner Hyper-X?

Masi CX
All City Gorilla Monsoon
All City
Soma DC Disc
Twin Six standard Rando
Rawland Ravn
Lemond Poprad (square frame. closest I have found to what I am looking for)
Rove ST
Old 04-15-19, 01:24 PM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have similar body proportions to you, and prefer a higher stack/lower reach fit. The only bike I can think of in your price range that fits those geometry details is the Salsa Journeyman, but it's not steel. The others I was strongly considering were the Salsa Vaya (steel, more expensive), Black Mountain MCD (steel, more expensive), All City Space Horse (steel, more expensive but closer to your range), and maybe the All City Gorilla Monsoon. If steel isn't a dealbreaker, the Specialized Diverge, Fuji Jari, Felt Breed/Broam, and Diamondback Haanjo all seemed to be similar in stack/reach as well.

I ended up going with a Cannondale Topstone with a shorter than stock stem, which decreased the reach ~10-20cm, and made it fit a lot better right out of the shop. It was the best value for the quality of bike, which is what tipped me away from a bike with shorter stock reach but a compromise in price or components.
Old 04-15-19, 02:00 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I would look at the Black Mountain MCD...stack/reach make it even more upright than my AWOL.

On a related note: I was looking at the geo chart of a frame set recently (can’t remember which!) but I noticed the reach was identical across at least 3 sizes...either the exact same or perhaps a mm or two difference. The stack however did go up significantly in each larger size..it’s like they were saying “buy our frame based on the stack you want, and then go buy a stem based on the reach you need to pair it with”. In any case, that’s another way to get where you are wanting to go: go up a size and then get a shorter stem...longer than average legs might mean standover isn’t an issue on a bigger frame.
Old 04-15-19, 02:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
I've been searching for a while, but haven't been able to find something in the $700-$1000 range that fits my long leg/short torso build. Anyone know of any steel disc cx/gravel/monster cross frames (no press fit BB, please) that might do the trick?​
What stack and reach are you looking for? One person's view of high stack and short reach differs from another's view. Knowing the stack and reach you want will help a lot.
I have a black mountain cycles monstercross and consider that to be a really good stack and reach setup compared to many other bikes that have much longer reach for the same stack, but perhaps you would look at those numbers and the reach would be too long. Their disc version, the MCD as mentioned, has a higher stack height than the canti brake version, so that very well may work for you. List your numbers and im sure people will suggest more applicable options.

I've listed below the stuff I have already looked at, but they all have top tubes longer than seat tubes aka a long reach relative to the stack.​
Top tubes being longer than seat tubes doesnt have anything to do with stack and reach. Stack height is a vertical measurement from the center of the bottom bracket straight up to an invisible horizontal line that intersects the middle of the top of the head tube. It can be measured by measuring from the ground to the top of the middle of the head tube, then measuring from the ground to the middle of the bottom bracket, and subtracting the bottom bracket measurement from the top of head tube measurement.
Reach is the horizontal distance from the middle of the seat tube to the middle of the top of the head tube.

Neither of these measurements care how long the seat tube is.

I just mention this in case you are thinking of something else when you think you are referring to stack and reach.

For the perfect fit, am I stuck saving up my pennies and going custom with something reasonably priced like a Gunner Hyper-X?​
HyperX is really cool and by all means get it if you want, but there has to be a production frame to consider and compare for less than the HyperX. Just list what stack and reach you need.

In the meantime, here are some WAGs for what might work...
Black Mountain MCD https://blackmtncycles.com/frames/mcd-frames/
Fairdale Rockitship https://shop.fairdalebikes.com/produ...-enve-fork-kit
Old 04-15-19, 03:56 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
The medium Crust Lightning Bolt v2 frameset would be a good example of what you're chasing, but its designed around a smaller 650b.
Seat tube 552mm centre-to-centre. Top tube 554 ctc. Stack 593 / Reach 375.
Over your budget also.

An old frame/bike that would also suit (depending on the clearance you're chasing) is the Singular Peregrine Disk. Very rare to pickup a used one though.

I have long legs/short torso (5'9.5"/34") and initially settled on a steel Curve Grovel v2 frameset, but the newer ones are not made with the same shorter-reach geo.
Not quite a square frame but close enough geo in the 52 or 54 (shorter stem), for me. There may still be v2 frames out there somewhere.

Just rambling now, but there's a guy on LFGSS who had a custom Elephant National Forrest frame built up, who is short-reach/tall-ish stack. You can find the pics/thread online. I'd be all over that frame if it came up for sale.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 04-15-19 at 05:34 PM. Reason: txt
Old 04-15-19, 07:08 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
I have 33.75" inside leg length for 69.3" height with 12" long foot. I can fit comfortably on any of those frames you have listed. I ride a Soma DC Disc regularly size, 52 with the stem flipped up. Probably should have gotten a 54 but such is life when blind ordering frames online.

I've heard it said that with respect to body morphology - if you can wear regular clothes you can ride a regular frame. Custom bikes are generally preference driven, not body dimension driven - despite the justifications owners tell themselves.

Who's doing your fit? Just based on your post it doesn't seem like you understand geometry well enough to fit yourself, so I would assume your fitter might be better to consult than anyone else. Getting your parameters on a fit bike can often be the key to finding a frame. Illustrates stem length/height/appearance which matter to many buyers more than comfort so often the driver behind a given frame is how it looks at the cockpit height required over almost anything else.
Old 04-16-19, 09:14 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
How long/short? At 73" with a 36" cycling inseam, a custom frame calculator will typically tell me that I need a top tube/seat tube combo that doesn't exist outside of custom frames. In practice I've found that I can fit most reasonable frames comfortably with a combination of stem height and length adjustments. Gravel bikes also tend to have a higher stack for a given reach than an equivalent road frame as well, so that will help.

I'd go Gorilla Monsoon or Kona Rove of those above. Similar reach and a bit more stack than my Warbird, so I know I'd be comfy on them.
Old 04-21-19, 07:48 PM
nellborg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not exactly what you asked for, but.....the Lynskey GR 270 size Large is the highest stack / shortest reach frame that I could find as a stock frame. If you buy it with fork and seat post, like I did, the price is reasonable at about 1600.
Old 04-22-19, 01:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
custom builds to measure?

WSD * is for the gender often with longer legs and shorter arms and torsos .. as a proportion of their height

* Trek's line