Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Health hazards of chain lube

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Health hazards of chain lube

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-19, 01:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I got old news for everybody. It won't be at all surprising that we all already have traces of 40 deadly chemicals in our blood right now.
Too much of almost any chemical can be deadly, so "traces of deadly chemicals" is almost meaningless. For example, For example, exposure to too much dihydrogen monoxide can fully arrest respiration.
Old 06-05-19, 03:36 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Too much of almost any chemical can be deadly, so "traces of deadly chemicals" is almost meaningless. For example, For example, exposure to too much dihydrogen monoxide can fully arrest respiration.
I saw that Penn & Teller bit about dihydrogen monoxide. OTOH the powers that be used to say that Roundup was perfectly safe.
Old 06-05-19, 03:41 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
I saw that Penn & Teller bit about dihydrogen monoxide. OTOH the powers that be used to say that Roundup was perfectly safe.
Roundup is a poison dumped on plants (including weeds) in huge quantities, designed to kill, and easily gets distributed in the food chain and ground water supply.

Chain lube is dribbled onto a bicycle chain, and need not ever touch anything. So even if it was more toxic or carcinogenic than the weed killer, it would be much less a threat.
Old 06-05-19, 04:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
California has become very dangerous state, if you read the warning labels on everything..

I hear Water with an extra Neutron is 'the bomb' ...
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 06-05-19, 06:13 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I am going to post to keep this thread going, super entertaining. OP is well....a ****** for starting this.

oh yeah, waxing is where it at! Smells nice and easy to crash and burn with the paraffin on the chain Also if you get stranded you can burn your chain for heat and light and not hurt the envorment.
Old 06-05-19, 07:54 PM
willibrord

This article is 10 yrs old but it addresses one of the common componenets of bicycle chain lube.

Teflon, which is known chemically as polytetrafluoroethylene, or PTFE, is a plasticlike substance made up of a complex mixture of perfl uorinated chemicals (PFCs). Unlike known environmental villains such as DDT and PCBs, PFCs are not generally volatile – in other words, they do not become easily airborne and so tend not to migrate long distances. In addition, to produce a substance such as Teflon, these compounds are usually ‘locked’ into polymers – chains of molecules – so it was assumed that they couldn’t leak into the environment. Even if they did, it was assumed that they wouldn’t break down; and even if they did, it was assumed that they were biologically inert. All of these assumptions are being proved wrong.

Scientific data shows that PFCs fulfil every single criterion for persistent bioaccumulative toxins: that is they do not biodegrade, they accumulate in people, animals and the environment, and they have been shown in laboratory tests to be toxic to mammals. Although there are nearly 100 known PFCs, only two have been studied in any depth: perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS), a breakdown product of the stain-repellent Scotchguard (now withdrawn from sale), and perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), a breakdown product of Teflon. Both have been found in the blood of nearly every human tested, as well as in animals in the Arctic and Atlantic oceans.

Once in the environment, PFCs have been shown to accumulate in organs like the liver, gall bladder and thyroid gland. In primates, including humans, exposure to one of Teflon’s breakdown products, PFOA, has led to an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism). A prolonged state of hypothyroidism is a risk for obesity, insulin resistance and thyroid cancer.

Laboratory studies also show that PFOA is toxic to at least nine types of cells that regulate immune function. Cells in the spleen and thymus – both critical to immune function – are particularly vulnerable, and humans exposed to PFOA show reduced immune function. Most recently, PFOA has been linked to raised cholesterol and triglyceride (blood fat) levels in factory workers, and in animals to potentially dangerous changes in the size and weight of several important organs such as the brain, liver and spleen. PFOA is also thought to be a hormone disrupter.

In 2005, the US Environmental Protection Agency classified PFOA as a ‘likely human carcinogen’ and asked industry to work towards eliminating PFOA and related chemicals from emissions and products by no later than 2015.
https://theecologist.org/2009/may/13...bel-chain-lube
Old 06-05-19, 08:11 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Wax
Old 06-05-19, 08:15 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I am going to post to keep this thread going, super entertaining. OP is well....a ****** for starting this.

oh yeah, waxing is where it at! Smells nice and easy to crash and burn with the paraffin on the chain Also if you get stranded you can burn your chain for heat and light and not hurt the envorment.

If it helps, I had an uncle Patty O’Ferrniture who was drinking in a bike shop after it closed. Accidentally banged down a shot of bike oil he mistook for whiskey. We thought he’d squeak by, but he slipped away quickly without a sound.
Likes For MaxKatt:
Old 06-05-19, 08:24 PM
willibrord

Originally Posted by wgscott
Wax
paraffin or beeswax?
Old 06-05-19, 08:44 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
paraffin or beeswax?
lard !
Old 06-05-19, 10:52 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked 3,925 Times in 2,553 Posts
I don't want to hijack this rather strange thread into a debate about acetone or whatever, but liver cleanses are complete quackery and I wouldn't take much from that story in terms of evidence. The statement that "chemicals aren't good for your health" is on its face, absurd. We are composed entirely of chemicals and elements. Some chemicals are harmful, others not, and some are only harmful in such huge quantities as to likely never to be encountered.

Frankly, if you're not willing to name the lube, I see no point in this thread.
Might be, but that quackery was life changing. The 2 inhalants I had to take at least 1 full squirt of for each nostril every night I still take, but now it is a 1/4 squirt every 4 days. I went 30 years going from from sinuses that caused bacterial sore throats that required anti-biotics about every 18 months to manageable with the above inhalants (at ~$300 for the two small bottles) to almost nothing. I can sleep breathing through my nose, a concept I'd forgotten. I can even ride a bike with my mouth shut. Hadn't been able to do that since I was 30.

This might be quackery, but it has been a bigger life improvement than anything I have ever seen from the medical profession outside the ER. (Of course more proof that this is quackery - the pills cost me $50 one time. About 10 days of inhalants.)

Ben
Old 06-06-19, 06:47 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
The OP provided me the identity of the chain lube in question and I reviewed all of the hazardous components. These are all refined petroleum products. Primary hazards common to all of these are skin and eye irritation. Petroleum products also are classified as severe aspiration hazards because death may occur through lung damage if you drink the material. What happens is that you when you vomit the material back up it can enter your trachea into your lungs. Oh, yeah - if you huff it, you can get dizzy and pass out.

All of these materials have some environmental toxicity as you would expect of petroleum products. There is evidence that short chain chlorinated paraffins, though not significantly toxic to fish, may bio-accumulate.

Below is a list of the components, with specific comments.

50-70% Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light (c9-c16)
This is analgous to kerosine.

10-20% Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy naphthenic (C20-C50).
Can be classified as a suspected human carcinogen if it contains > 3% polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). The chain lube manufacturer did not use the carcinogen classification in the product literature so there is some probability that the PAH concentration is below the limit.

There have been some studies showing toxic effects on adrenals, bone marrow, liver, lymph nodes, kidney, stomach, thymus through prolonged or repeated skin exposure; however I found mention of a study of rabbit skin exposure toxicity LD>5000mg/kg, which is not significantly toxic.

10-15% Short chain chlorinated paraffins (C6-C18)

From an assessment by the Australian National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme (NICNAS): SCCPs exhibit very low acute toxicity by all three routes in animals. Mild skin and eye irritation were observed in some animal studies. Available human data indicate that SCCPs do not cause skin irritation and are not sensitisers.

1-5% Solvent naphtha (petroleum), light aromatic (C8-C10).

Can be classified as a suspected human carcinogen if it contains > 0.1% benzene. The chain lube manufacturer did not use the carcinogen classification in the product literature so there is some probability that the benzine concentration is below the limit.

My bottom line opinion is that this chain lube, which will be used sparingly and infrequently (i.e. once every few weeks) does not present a significant hazard to the user or to the environment. I'd recommend that you wash if you get any on your skin and certainly don't drink it. Also, do not throw unused portions in the trash.

I have know idea why the LBS dropped the product. Their stated justification does not match reality.

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 06-06-19 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-06-19, 06:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
How come Teflon sticks to stuff?
Old 06-06-19, 07:09 AM
willibrord

Thank you, Moe.
Old 06-06-19, 07:09 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

Old 06-06-19, 07:49 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Non-stick glue! Badum ching.
Likes For clengman:
Old 06-06-19, 08:39 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
The OP provided me the identity of the chain lube in question and I reviewed all of the hazardous components. These are all refined petroleum products. Primary hazards common to all of these are skin and eye irritation. Petroleum products also are classified as severe aspiration hazards because death may occur through lung damage if you drink the material. What happens is that you when you vomit the material back up it can enter your trachea into your lungs.

All of these materials have some environmental toxicity as you would expect of petroleum products. There is evidence that short chain chlorinated paraffins, though not significantly toxic to fish, may bio-accumulate.

Can be classified as a suspected human carcinogen if it contains > 3% polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). The chain lube manufacturer did not use the carcinogen classification in the product literature so there is some probability that the PAH concentration is below the limit.

There have been some studies showing toxic effects on adrenals, bone marrow, liver, lymph nodes, kidney, stomach, thymus through prolonged or repeated skin exposure; however I found mention of a study of rabbit skin exposure toxicity LD>5000mg/kg, which is not significantly toxic.

From an assessment by the Australian National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme (NICNAS): SCCPs exhibit very low acute toxicity by all three routes in animals. Mild skin and eye irritation were observed in some animal studies. Available human data indicate that SCCPs do not cause skin irritation and are not sensitisers.

Can be classified as a suspected human carcinogen if it contains > 0.1% benzene. The chain lube manufacturer did not use the carcinogen classification in the product literature so there is some probability that the benzine concentration is below the limit.

My bottom line opinion is that this chain lube, which will be used sparingly and infrequently (i.e. once every few weeks) does not present a significant hazard to the user or to the environment. I'd recommend that you wash if you get any on your skin and certainly don't drink it. Also, do not throw unused portions in the trash.

I have know idea why the LBS dropped the product. Their stated justification does not match reality.
Now I want to buy the stuff to try it out. What is it?
Old 06-06-19, 08:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Might be, but that quackery was life changing. The 2 inhalants I had to take at least 1 full squirt of for each nostril every night I still take, but now it is a 1/4 squirt every 4 days. I went 30 years going from from sinuses that caused bacterial sore throats that required anti-biotics about every 18 months to manageable with the above inhalants (at ~$300 for the two small bottles) to almost nothing. I can sleep breathing through my nose, a concept I'd forgotten. I can even ride a bike with my mouth shut. Hadn't been able to do that since I was 30.

This might be quackery, but it has been a bigger life improvement than anything I have ever seen from the medical profession outside the ER. (Of course more proof that this is quackery - the pills cost me $50 one time. About 10 days of inhalants.)

Ben
I'm not going to argue with you and am glad you are feeling better, but there are really very, very good reasons why stories like these are not considered scientific evidence. You took some pills and symptoms went away. There is no reason to assume there's any connection between those two events, especially since I'm pretty sure there's no known medical explanation why acetone would remain in your liver rather than being broken down by it many years ago.

I've had periods in my life where my sinuses acted much like you're describing, really did very little to treat them, and the problem eventually went away by itself. Sinus inflammation is notorious for taking a while to resolve itself.

Frankly, depending of the contents of those pills, $50 could be exorbitant, but if the placebo worked, money well spent.

This really has nothing to do with the OP, so I'm going to pass on any more discussion of this. Feel free to get the last word.
Old 06-06-19, 08:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Thank you, Moe.
OK, now name the product and we'll see if we can figure out why the LBS is bad-mouthing it. Just don't name the LBS if you're still worried about defamation.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-06-19, 09:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
The OP provided me the identity of the chain lube in question and I reviewed all of the hazardous components. These are all refined petroleum products. Primary hazards common to all of these are skin and eye irritation. Petroleum products also are classified as severe aspiration hazards because death may occur through lung damage if you drink the material. What happens is that you when you vomit the material back up it can enter your trachea into your lungs. Oh, yeah - if you huff it, you can get dizzy and pass out.

Two small quibbles. “Kerosene” is the far more common term used for that mixture. It would make it easier for people to find on Google. And C9 to C16 petroleum distillates are within the range of mineral spirits as well, especially odorless, low aromatic mineral spirits.

I agree with your assessment. People tend to get wigged out about “chemicals!!!!!” in small quantities while totally ignoring chemicals that they use in large amounts. You could pour this mixture into a bowl, let evaporate and inhale the vapors for a couple of hours and still not be exposed to as much truly toxic chemicals as you would by simply filling up your car’s gas tank. The very small amount you use for each chain lubricant application is nothing to get your knickers in a knot about.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
OK, now name the product and we'll see if we can figure out why the LBS is bad-mouthing it. Just don't name the LBS if you're still worried about defamation.
Whatever the compound of concern is, you can look it up on the lovely web site of the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry at the CDC, where they have comprehensive information on all the nasty stuff under your sink.
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
NFS is the only chain lube you all should be using anyway. Man up and get some. Just don't drink it.
Old 06-06-19, 09:19 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I remember when Teflon was first used in frying pans and we were using metal utensils that scraped it off and ate it along with our fatty burgers that came from homeopathic cows.
Old 06-06-19, 01:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Whatever the compound of concern is, you can look it up on the lovely web site of the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry at the CDC, where they have comprehensive information on all the nasty stuff under your sink.
Like I said, I think the real question here is why is an LBS bad mouthing a chain lube. You done good work.
Old 06-06-19, 01:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked 3,925 Times in 2,553 Posts
I'm not going to argue with you and am glad you are feeling better, but there are really very, very good reasons why stories like these are not considered scientific evidence. You took some pills and symptoms went away. There is no reason to assume there's any connection between those two events, especially since I'm pretty sure there's no known medical explanation why acetone would remain in your liver rather than being broken down by it many years ago.

I've had periods in my life where my sinuses acted much like you're describing, really did very little to treat them, and the problem eventually went away by itself. Sinus inflammation is notorious for taking a while to resolve itself.

Frankly, depending of the contents of those pills, $50 could be exorbitant, but if the placebo worked, money well spent.

This really has nothing to do with the OP, so I'm going to pass on any more discussion of this. Feel free to get the last word.
I never believed the acetone stayed in my liver. But the heavier molecules of uncured polyester resin? When I took the pills, I felt absolutely nothing for weeks. Except for the routine of taking them, I forgot about it completely. Then I started feeling weird, like something was off. I started getting really spacey, forgetting stuff and like I was always on the edge of getting sick. Sleeping worse. This all built so slowly I didn't put together the "why". Just cursed that I was feeling this way in July. Then early August, I started feeling better. Sleeping better than I had in decades. Allergies near gone. And realized I'd been spending the previous weeks with the s*** that I took in through my skin decades ago coursing through my bloodstream; that now (apparently) that stuff was out of my body. That was two years ago. I am still learning aspects of the "new" body.

I know this all sounds foo-foo. I also know that what we all heard about as fiberglass builtbuilders never saw the daylight of the media. (Cynical me - blue collar fiberglass laminators doing work nobody wants vs Dow Chemical and Union Carbide - is this a surprise?)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.