Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Riding with a kid trailer...sidewalk or road?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.
View Poll Results: Where do you ride when towing a child in a trailer?
Sidewalk/Path always
15.79%
Mostly road, sometimes paths
78.95%
I don't carry a child on the bike
5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-05, 06:33 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

When I commute or ride on my own I always use the road. I'm traveling >15 mph for the most part, and often in areas with no sidewalk anyway. I'm a bit confused about what to do when I have the munchkin in tow. Every fiber of my being tells me that the road is the place to be, but for the life of me I'm freaked out by the idea of "taking a lane" with the little crab-cake in the trailer?

So far I've used cycling paths and sidewalks, just being extra cautious at driveways and stopping at each intersection and looking back, right and forward to spot any coming cars before I go, but I'm not sure this is the best approach. What do you do? Why?
Old 08-22-05, 09:17 AM
slooney

Bikes: Trek 930 mutt (beater) Gary Fisher '98 Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
When I commute or ride on my own I always use the road. I'm traveling >15 mph for the most part, and often in areas with no sidewalk anyway. I'm a bit confused about what to do when I have the munchkin in tow. Every fiber of my being tells me that the road is the place to be, but for the life of me I'm freaked out by the idea of "taking a lane" with the little crab-cake in the trailer?

So far I've used cycling paths and sidewalks, just being extra cautious at driveways and stopping at each intersection and looking back, right and forward to spot any coming cars before I go, but I'm not sure this is the best approach. What do you do? Why?
I use the road, and believe it's safer than the sidewalk. Here's why-

I'm a strong believer that the majority of bike v. car accidents happen at intersections, be they road/driveway, road/parking lot, road/road. People around here use the shoulder/breakdown at the intersection, whatever type, as a pause lane (they pull in into it as they look for traffic). They are not looking for bikes in the lane they just pulled into, and they're really not looking for a bike on the sidewalk. If you are on the sidewalk it is assumed that you'll yield to the right turn (and on occasion left turn) knuckleheads that think the sidewalk crossing, shoulder, and breakdown lane are all exclusively for their use. So unless you're planning on developing the habit of stopping at every intersection, even when the light or law is in your favor, I'd be out on the road. When you are out in the lane (though admittedly to the right side of said lane) you are where a car is expected to be, and at least stand a chance of being seen.

Also, I take some comfort in knowing that our trailer is red, with reflective tape on it, and is far more likely to be seen than a solo rider.
Old 08-22-05, 11:27 AM
oldskoolboarder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go road. I agree w/ slooney's points. You're tougher to see on the sidewalk, especially when cars turn right. They may be apt to not look for you on the sidewalk and if you cross on a green, you might get tagged.

You're also taking up space for walkers, and there's a lot in our neighborhood. It'd be tough for old people (walkers and wheelchairs) and families to give you berth.

There's also a danger that the sidewalk can get narrow, it does in our area. W/ mailboxes, street poles, newspaper racks, fences, etc, you have to be EXTREMELY careful not to clip any of those things w/ the trailer wheels.
Old 08-22-05, 02:56 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Sidewalks are only safe at walking speeds (3mph).
Old 08-23-05, 10:28 AM
santiago

Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The further danger with sidewalks is that 2 seat trailers are pretty wide and if you have to squeeze over to one side of the sidewalk to get by pedestrians, you can drop a wagon wheel off the sidewalk.
Old 08-23-05, 10:43 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I think you're doing it right by being careful and staying on the road. Sidewalks are for pedestrians. And in older neighborhoods like mine they can be narrow and uneven.

I have taken comfort in noticing that cars have given the Wonder Twins' Chariot a wide berth. And when I ride with my wife, she takes a position behind and slightly to the left of the trailer to give an even wider profile to cars behind. Yahoos buzz me all the time when I'm riding solo, but I've yet to see someone drive too close to a mother and her children.
Old 08-23-05, 11:11 AM
Pugdawg1

Bikes: Marin Riftzone, Ridley Orion, Jamis Allegro Commuter , Univega road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am more comfortable on the road than the sidewalk. I have a little Avenir two seater that I use to pull my oldest pug with, since he's not able to take nice long walks anymore. So far so good, haven't had a problem in 2 years.
Old 08-23-05, 11:18 AM
fishdr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree - the road is the way to go. We tug the munchkins along in an Instep Ride-n-Stride trailer and cars seem to give us a pretty wide berth. We don't have any sidewalks, so we don't have the option. But - I would think you would be much more visible on the road. Here in the Mississippi Delta we get noticed quite a bit - not too many cyclists here and even fewer with trailers.
Old 08-24-05, 06:47 PM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really don't mind residential streets. There's no way I take my kid out on a busy street. I've been rear ended twice by cars on busy streets just sitting there waiting for the light to turn green or waiting to make a right turn. Wait, make that three times. Forgot the one time when the car was totalled.
Old 08-25-05, 05:02 AM
Irish Bill
THEY'RE OUT TO GET ME!

Bikes: ONE WITH 2 WHEELS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my second post. I pull my two year old daughter in a Spokey Joe trailer and at first, I had the same reservations as you. Here in UK, drivers are usually quite considerate when they see the thing. My biggest problem is when some idiot does something stupid that causes me to slam on the brakes. It nearly always causes the trailer to jack-knife behind me. Then there's my wife who rides behind the trailer who has to swerve like hell to avoid hitting the trailer. You're better off on the road because you won't have to stop every five minutes for some pedestrian and as long as you keep up with the traffic flow (difficult with a parachute on wheels I know!!) there will be less chance of someone ramming you from behind.
Old 09-08-05, 08:30 AM
PoorBehavior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pick my son up from day care in our trailer as often as I can. On the 15 minute ride over I ride either on the street or a bikepath. On the way back I use a route that keeps us off the roads as much as possible, and this includes sidewalks. My personal experience is that drivers leaving work and going home are more focused on their end goal than what they are doing now. My son is far too important for me to try and make a statement by riding on the streets, (not saying that anyone who posted was pushing this). I feel 100% safer on the sidewalks and back roads where I can maintain my situational awareness better. If someone hits me, fine. But my kid is sitting 4 inches off of the pavement, if some idiot is on his/her cell phone and hits us, my son will not have a chance. I live next to a major university in a small residential area with 35mph and below street system. I do totally agree that drivers do not pay attention at intersections, at all. I am very cautious at every intersection I go through and rarely do I not stop at each one. I think it has a lot to do with the type of traffic and the type of drivers you have to deal with. Where I live, this is safer.
Old 09-26-05, 06:11 AM
Powerful Pete
Campagnolo per sempre!

Bikes: De Rosa Planet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMHO, ride on the road. I regularly ride with my daughter in her Burley Solo on relatively high traffic roads, and have noticed that cars give us quite a larger safety zone than when I ride alone - probably because most people in central Italy have never seen a kid's bike trailer...
Old 09-26-05, 08:59 AM
rule

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being predicatable is the key to safe cycling. Accident statistics show that no one apparently is looking for bikes on the sidewalk. If you do it, just be really really careful and watch your self whenever you come to an crosswalk. That's where most of the fatalities occur.
Old 09-28-05, 09:02 PM
WebMommy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We always ride in the road, even when sidewalks are available. Why? I'll quote my two year old: "Mama! Too Bumpy! It's too bumpy!!!!" My kiddos feel every bump on the sidewalk and they HATE it. We ride in the road for their comfort.

We mainly ride in residential neighborhoods, but I do about a mile on 45mph two lane roads (no other way around them). Cars give us a huge amount of space! I was seriously freaked about this at first, but as long as you're riding during the day and have reasonable precautions (bright colors, reflectors, flashers, etc) you don't have anything to worry about. I bought some clip-on flashers for $6 and use them for both running and biking. They just clip onto my trailer, or the bike, or even my shirt!
Old 09-28-05, 10:52 PM
jimx200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bombs away...as an RN, working in the ER, I have seen far too many battered/broken little bodies from riding on the "trail-a-bikes" or whatever they call those that mount on the rear stem post. Maybe trailers are safer, as in more visible, but no protection from a car. In 3 years, we (just on my shift) have seen about 8-10 little ones come in with cuts, abraisions, and broken toes/fingers from spokes or falling off completely. With far too many moron drivers chatting on their cell phone, it's a wonder there are not more accidents. Thats my rant.....ride safe everyone.
Old 10-04-05, 07:57 AM
jimmuter
Urban Biker

Bikes: Trek 720 hybrid; 2007 Specialized Tricross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is actually an ordinance in my city making it illegal to ride on sidewalks, and I suppose it's for all of the reasons mentioned in other posts.
Old 10-04-05, 08:10 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
There are few paths in our area so it is mostly roads...though we do use some of the paths that do exist. Have yet to have a problem, most other vehicles give us a pretty wide birth.
Old 10-08-05, 01:18 PM
lws

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my son has been to the ER several times from just walking -- or whatever you call it that a boy does which includes climbing everything and jumping off. Everything from contusions and concussions to a broken collarbone. But never from a trail-a-bike, trailer, or his own bicycle. I think he's safer on a bike with me than if he's off climbing trees somewhere.
Old 10-10-05, 06:05 PM
SanDiegoSteve

Bikes: Felt Fc, Litespeed Ghisallo, beach cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure it is legal to ride on the sidewalk in California. It may be on a city by city basis.

Bottom line in San Diego, people look in the road, not toward sidewalks, so you are safer where you get noticed. Nice, car-free bike paths are the best, but rare.

I'm just happy my daughter likes to go on the bike, and that she like to check out my road bike.