Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

What the heck is wrong with people who list on Craigslist?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-11, 09:53 AM
Fairmont
Out

Bikes: two-wheelers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been looking for a mountain bike, and people are charging crazy prices. I'm seeing bikes that retailed new for $309 five years ago that people are trying to get $225 for and such.

I can't believe how crazy the prices are on CL. Is this just an Atlanta thing?

Dang, I guess I'll have to just hit garage sales.

How do you guys find decent prices on used bikes?

Here's what I'm talking about. This guy is asking 225 for this hybrid. I emailed him and told him it retailed for 309 new five years ago. He replies, "I'd seriously like to see where you got that information." So I showed him Bikepedia, listing it exactly how it appeared. Perfect match.

Here's his ad on CL: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/bik/2384146127.html

And Bikepedia: https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...7100&Type=bike

Last edited by Fairmont; 05-29-11 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-29-11, 10:24 AM
liquefied

Bikes: 1989 Team Miyata, 1989 Miyata 1400, 1989 Miyata 1400, 1986 Miyata 610, 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People are crazy everywhere. There are plenty of '90's and early 00's entry-level garage queen MTBs listed close to MSRP on craigslist here. People think if a bike is in good condition then it's just as good as a brand new bike.
Old 05-29-11, 11:03 AM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
You have to check C-list 2-3 times a day. Be prepared to strike fast. Good deals are becoming harder to find. I've said it before, there are a lot of good $100-$200 MTBs on Craigslist. Too bad they want $400-$600 for them.

At my local swapmeet, it's worse. Had a guy offer me a rattle-canned roach condition 10-15 year old Specialized FSR for only $400. Nothing looked in working condition on the bike, with the exception of the seat post. At $200, it would have been overpriced. Old tired hardtail bikes are selling $100. They all say the same thing, "perfect for fixie!"
Old 05-29-11, 11:10 AM
oban_kobi

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Custom Vintage FG

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I look an CL every now and then for a cheap frame to make into a fixie, but they all want absurd prices for their bikes! I wonder if any of them have actually had someone buy from them at their asking price. Certainly anyone even slightly knowledgeable about bicycles would know better.

I don't even know what to make of this: https://merced.craigslist.org/bik/2392742275.html

Last edited by oban_kobi; 05-29-11 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-29-11, 11:52 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Fairmont
I've been looking for a mountain bike, and people are charging crazy prices. I'm seeing bikes that retailed new for $309 five years ago that people are trying to get $225 for and such.

I think it's a regional thing. When I was looking I spent several days watching Atlanta CL like a hawk and the asking prices were unreal. Searching other regions you could find some deals, but not here. I gave up and ordered off the internet.
Old 05-29-11, 02:49 PM
shadoman

Bikes: Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Cannondale ST400, Fuji Palisade, GT Timberline FS, Raleigh Technium 420, Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn Tempo, Specialized Sirrus Elite (aluminum), Specialized Sirrus Triple (steel), Trek 7.6, Viner Road Record

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by liquefied
People are crazy everywhere. There are plenty of '90's and early 00's entry-level garage queen MTBs listed close to MSRP on craigslist here. People think if a bike is in good condition then it's just as good as a brand new bike.
And if it's old and covered in dust or mouse poop, it's automatically "vintage" and worth its weight in gold.
1970 Schwinn varsity, vintage, $300...FTFY.

Dude, it's NOT just Atlanta.

Last edited by shadoman; 05-29-11 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 05-29-11, 03:03 PM
RunningPirate

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy (cannibalized), 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I think it's one of those "whatever the traffic will bear" scenarios. Folks will set the price based on what they think people will pay. So if someone will pay $225 for a bike, then that's what it's worth. In the Bay Area, there's a 30 year old Raleigh Mixte on CL that posted for $265...then $255, then $249 then after four weeks the owner changed the handlebars and re-jacked the price to $265...and that's where I last saw it. Don't know if it ever sold...
Old 05-29-11, 03:07 PM
twobadfish
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's like anything that becomes popular on the internet becomes a cesspool.
Old 05-29-11, 03:39 PM
Fairmont
Out

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So where are the deals?
Old 05-29-11, 04:51 PM
crazzywolfie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm always searching Kijiji for stuff. i hate the way CL is setup. i found a cheap beater on Kijiji for $10 but i have seen other people wanting $100 for the exact same bike.
https://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ272882497
Old 05-29-11, 05:58 PM
Fairmont
Out

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I have to wake up early on Saturdays and hit the garage sales.

That's the only thing I can think of.

I'm not asking for a steal. I'm asking for a fair deal.

Oh well.

Old 05-29-11, 06:30 PM
samburger
Redheaded Stepchild

Bikes: A fat tire & a skinny tire & two others I loaned out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in the ATL-metro area as well & I found plenty of good deals this time last year, but that's because I was jobless & had the time to check CL dozens of times daily. Good deals go fast. I'm having the same trouble now, but with finding a good BMX bike for a decent price. Best advice I can give, if you're looking for a good starter bike, is to get an early 2k's rigid bike & slap a cheapo suspension fork on it if your really need it. People base selling price entirely too much on the bike's appearance, but often times the specs on the older bikes are much better than newer bikes for much less money.
Old 05-29-11, 06:49 PM
samburger
Redheaded Stepchild

Bikes: A fat tire & a skinny tire & two others I loaned out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure what your price range or size is, but I did a search for Gary Fisher (just because it's a reputable brand that doesn't usually pull many results on CL) & found this: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/bik/2407557871.html

I wouldn't pay $375 for it, but I think it's a pretty fair bargaining point. I would personally pay $100 less & walk away happy.

Last edited by samburger; 05-29-11 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-29-11, 08:56 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
The Madison WI area is just as bad. I really think our society has hit a crazy greedy point where everyone just wants to try to get as much money as they Possibly can all the time. Then it doesn't help that they do a quick search before posting their bike, because surely that'll give them an idea of what it's worth, right? and see everyone else's crazy jacked up prices and go "oh, sweet" and post theirs for a few $$$ more. It's just stupid how much people are asking for bikes on CL these days. I guess on the plus side, I've priced a few bikes Slightly above their value, because of course someone is going to talk you down. All three times I sold the bike within a day/couple days for asking price. Now if I could just find another reasonable person in my area with a decent MTB for sale...
Old 05-29-11, 10:21 PM
johnMATX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think one of the things that has effected CL is the app's you can get for smart phones that alert you to what you are looking for. When good deal come up everybody that is interested knows immediately. I see good deals almost every day, but most are gone in a couple of hrs. I think thats why you see the crap, because no one buys it, it just hangs around.
Old 07-17-11, 01:48 PM
Brennan

Bikes: Surly X√, Trek Earl

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Just had to share this one. Yeah, these ridiculous listings are all over SF area craigslist.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/2499046140.html

Royce Union Mountain Bike - $150 (petaluma)
Date: 2011-07-17, 12:16PM PDT

21 speed mountain bike--Great condition.

$150 firm

lo ballers will be ignored
One of the many bad reviews of this bike:

Strengths: I dont have to lock it, if someone steals it ill laugh, The only thing i have to worry about is someone returing it to me,

Weaknesses: Rims break on the smalllest jumps, i just got into mountian biking and am only going of 2-4 foot jumps! I cant get any air due to the massive front heavy frame, my shifters jam half the time, the flywheel sticks, the shocks are crap, both my brakes are now broken, i cant keep up to my friends on it, i spend more time fixing it than riding it and one of my pedals fell of on the way home today!

Bottom Line: Dont buy it! Or touch it (it will break) Fi you see someone riding one laugh at them.
Old 07-17-11, 06:10 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
America's economic system is built on What a willing buyer can get from a willing seller. Capitalism rules, but BUYER BEWARE makes it all fair and right.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 07-17-11, 07:23 PM
Brennan

Bikes: Surly X√, Trek Earl

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
^^That's probably what Bernie Madoff was thinking.
Old 07-18-11, 09:04 PM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fairmont

How do you guys find decent prices on used bikes?

Here's what I'm talking about. This guy is asking 225 for this hybrid. I emailed him and told him it retailed for 309 new five years ago. He replies, "I'd seriously like to see where you got that information." So I showed him Bikepedia, listing it exactly how it appeared. Perfect match.

Here's his ad on CL: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/bik/2384146127.html

And Bikepedia: https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...7100&Type=bike
Hey, if it's rarely been used and in immaculate shape, it went from $ 309 to $ 365 to $ 440 in the last 5 years. It's a comfort commuter, so how much can that style bike have changed ? Even at $ 225, that's $215 off, nearly 1/2 price. I went thru this rational in C&V, I have a 1986 Fuji Allegro touring 27", 12 speed that I paid $ 356 for that is rarely ridden. What's it worth today ? Well if I wanted a 2011 touring 700C bike, that is made by Fuji, I'd pay $ 1,049 MSRP:

https://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/touring

Since the bike I have rides as brand new, that's what I'd have to get for mine to replace it today for a virtually indistinguishable bicycle. I know someone would dearly love for me to give it away for $ 50-125, but it's worth more to me to keep her, ride and replace parts than pay $ 1,049 & tax at the Fuji dealership. Yeah, I know, 12 speed vs 27 speed, but do I really need 27 speeds for the flatland riding that I do. The 2011 weighs 29 lbs, mine is around 27.5 lbs or so. I guess the difference is the rack on the back of the 2011. I could add that for well under the $ 700 difference to my 1986. Even throw on a 3rd crank gear and then I'd have an 18 speed instead of 12 speed. I have a 42/52, 12-30 6 speed vs a 30/39/50, 11-34 9 speed. I guess there might be a sweeter gear or few in there somewhere, but I'd really have to check the GI and then test the combinations out firsthand to see whether chasing that would even be worth the new rear wheel & cluster and crank gear/set ? Asked the LBS what he thought it might fetch, he said $ 450 right off the bat ? So if I sought $ 250-275 am I really being too greedy about it ? whoever would purchase it might ride it for a couple of years and put it away just the same ? Or sell it because it wasn't a 2011, 27 speed ? I'll keep her and ride mine until I die, it's bought & paid for.

And this is pretty much rock bottom for Fuji's Touring style, if not a dead ringer @ Bikes Direct for $ 599 (CrMo), the cheapest in their Touring section, $ 389 (Aluminum):

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist.htm
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/lttour.htm

I think I should be able to get 1/2 of what I paid for mine originally if I was to sell her ?

Last edited by fuji86; 07-18-11 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-18-11, 09:44 PM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
America's economic system is built on What a willing buyer can get from a willing seller. Capitalism rules, but BUYER BEWARE makes it all fair and right.
Exactly, if someone needs a bike bad enough and $ 440 is what brand new goes for, something that's rarely ridden and 5 years old that still has the original tires on it, maybe ridden a month and under say 200 miles (4 Saturdays or so @ 30 miles), does $ 225 sound like the guy is bending you over for it ? I couldn't tell you the exact mileage on mine, but I guess I rode it probably a summer or two, the original tires had plenty of rubber, but were replaced because of dry rot. The gel in the seat same story. So I put new tubes & tires with a seat on her and $ 55 later, I still get plenty of interest & compliments on how nice it is to this very day. Store it inside and I don't leave it unattended. Temptation is too great for envious punks.
Old 07-20-11, 08:53 PM
GTRUCKUS

Bikes: 2016 Trek Farley 5 .2015 trek Superfly 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saw this on craigslist...Does the rear triangle looked tweaked to you? oldie and not so goody...? https://omaha.craigslist.org/bik/2505063543.html
Old 07-20-11, 09:30 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Every frog praises his own pond, you know?

Watch a few episodes of Pawn Stars and start over.
Old 07-20-11, 10:08 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12777 Post(s)
Liked 7,694 Times in 4,083 Posts
Originally Posted by GTRUCKUS
Saw this on craigslist...Does the rear triangle looked tweaked to you? oldie and not so goody...? https://omaha.craigslist.org/bik/2505063543.html
I vaguely remember a couple of companies utilizing rear triangles like that for rear brake / heel clearance. I dunno if Giant was one of them, though. Ask for High-res versions of pic 1 and 3 and you can probably tell if it's meant to be that way.

I loved the slightly older than that yellow Iguana I had for a while.
Old 07-21-11, 06:56 PM
neocaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do okay on craigslist. Look in the direction where population drops off most sharply. I live in the Philly burbs. I look in southern Delaware, central Maryland and central Pennsylvania. City folk expect to get more because they pay more. Free market states that if the transaction doesn't benefit both parties adequately, no exchange occurs. Looking for a deal is tough. Looking for it within a greatly reduced radius is a whole lot tougher.
Old 07-22-11, 02:37 PM
Surfer34

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes you can find great deals. I just sold my specialized allez elite for $300. I now realized I sold it way too cheap. No wonder I got 75 calls on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.