Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

A few cycling culture questions, more or less

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-13, 05:18 PM
ColtJ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I've got a few questions/observations during my short time cycling (or attempting to anyway). I am asking here in the fixed gear section as they are related to fixed gear/single speed bikes given i ride a fixed gear.

Started riding in December 2012 (think i posted here before i even purchased a bike). I've already gone on a century here in flat florida and am really enjoying it overall. Everything about it, even the leg pain as it makes me feel like im doing something.

Growing up i was raised to always acknowledge someone if you cross paths/make eye contact. Lately I try to ride a fairly popular 4 mile loop around a local gold course. Its safer than most places and you dont have to stop unless you want to (all right turns).

What is it with the fully kitted road bike guys?
I say hello, nod, etc... and you'd think i've insulted them... Then they almost lose it when i pass them...
** i would like to note that i try to maintain a consistent speed regardless of conditions and i would not assume im faster than anyone as i dont know how many laps they done or if they're warming up, etc...**

I've passed a few guys and they just gear up and attack, it's almost funny as they eventually blow out and ill eventually catch up again and the process repeats itself. I'm all for competition and actually enjoy it as i'll try to put space between us as much as i can. It seems those guys only go fast with a tail wind and crawl in the head wind, i have no options so i just ride.

** ive seen a few fast guys just fly around the loop but im not referring to them.**

I enjoy the competition but i just dont get the ego/attitude, its as if i've insulted them in the worst way...

Another question for the members that ride a lot during the week.
**I've commuted to work a few times but have decided to just wake up earlier and get the miles in before work.**
Do you guys were a jersey and cycling shorts/bibs all the time? I've recently ordered a few jerseys and bottoms but do you guys always go full kit?

Sorry for the long read and extra notes.
Old 02-10-13, 05:28 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
I'm not out there to make friends.

Oh, sorry.

**I'm not out there to make friends. But if I was I'd understand that part of being friendly is not giving a **** about other people's lack of/negative reactions to friendly gestures.

Piss on those bros. Any sport is going to have it's dicks, cycling a little moreso because it allows the participants the illusion of relevance long after most sports.
Old 02-10-13, 05:34 PM
ColtJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I'm not out there to make friends.

Oh, sorry.

**I'm not out there to make friends. But if I was I'd understand that part of being friendly is not giving a **** about other people's lack of/negative reactions to friendly gestures.

Piss on those bros. Any sport is going to have it's dicks, cycling a little moreso because it allows the participants the illusion of relevance long after most sports.
Haha. Guess i asked for that and maybe i came off weird or as if im looking for a friend, im not.

I just dont get the stare downs and ego trips.

For example, I've watched a guy draft someone through the wind, fly past them with the tail wind and then make a u turn as they were about to head back into the wind. I assumed they were leaving but instead they just repeated the trend a few times. I dont get it.

Understood, in regards to every sport having its fair share of d-bags.
Old 02-10-13, 05:37 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Well roadies treat "kids on fixies" with an inferiority complex. This can be partly explained by money put into the sport being correlated to your dedication. Road cycling is expensive, that's for sure when put it in comparison to fixed gear. Most likely your ride is much cheaper than theirs is and probably just their clipless shoes were more expensive than your entire bike, clothes on your back, and whatever is in your pocket/wallet.
And basically their chamois (it's the supportive padding on the bottom of cycling bibs/shorts that supports you) all of a sudden turns very uncomfortable when one of us pass them and stays that way for the rest of their day unless they over take you.

I frequent a full kit whenever I go riding longer distances/ for fun considering I am a roadie to begin with. Otherwise for commuting to work and running errands I just wear casual clothes.
As for me, if someone passes me I don't mind but it does tick me off a little when they, as you describe, momentarily speed up to overtake and then slow down, resulting in leap frogging. I usually end up half wheeling them and not saying a thing to rub it in and add to their awkwardness to make them feel bad until they finally can't take it anymore and take a turn.

Anyhow, don't let them bring you down. Haters are going to hate no matter what. Just keep riding and if they have the have a problem, that let your legs do the talking.
Old 02-10-13, 05:51 PM
ColtJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
Well roadies treat "kids on fixies" with an inferiority complex. This can be partly explained by money put into the sport being correlated to your dedication. Road cycling is expensive, that's for sure when put it in comparison to fixed gear. Most likely your ride is much cheaper than theirs is and probably just their clipless shoes were more expensive than your entire bike, clothes on your back, and whatever is in your pocket/wallet.
And basically their chamois (it's the supportive padding on the bottom of cycling bibs/shorts that supports you) all of a sudden turns very uncomfortable when one of us pass them and stays that way for the rest of their day unless they over take you.

I frequent a full kit whenever I go riding longer distances/ for fun considering I am a roadie to begin with. Otherwise for commuting to work and running errands I just wear casual clothes.
As for me, if someone passes me I don't mind but it does tick me off a little when they, as you describe, momentarily speed up to overtake and then slow down, resulting in leap frogging. I usually end up half wheeling them and not saying a thing to rub it in and add to their awkwardness to make them feel bad until they finally can't take it anymore and take a turn.

Anyhow, don't let them bring you down. Haters are going to hate no matter what. Just keep riding and if they have the have a problem, that let your legs do the talking.
I'm noticing how expensive it is/can be as my goal is to get into a road bike and participate in events, etc...

Thanks on answering the gear question as i'm looking forward to getting a few kits while i step it ups in regards to mileage/speed.

They dont get me down; i just dont get the overall attitude, im actually thankful for the occasional competition as im sure i'll benefit from it.

Thanks again.
Old 02-10-13, 05:57 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Stop riding on MUPs. You'll be amazed how much that alone will change your interactions.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 02-10-13, 06:00 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ColtJ
What is it with the fully kitted road bike guys?
I say hello, nod, etc... and you'd think i've insulted them... Then they almost lose it when i pass them...
** i would like to note that i try to maintain a consistent speed regardless of conditions and i would not assume im faster than anyone as i dont know how many laps they done or if they're warming up, etc...**

I've passed a few guys and they just gear up and attack, it's almost funny as they eventually blow out and ill eventually catch up again and the process repeats itself. I'm all for competition and actually enjoy it as i'll try to put space between us as much as i can. It seems those guys only go fast with a tail wind and crawl in the head wind, i have no options so i just ride.
These would be called Freds. Non racers that think they are racers. It's not the lycra, lots of us here wear lycra, it's just a bad attitude. I passed a guy today on my fat tire touring bike with panniers and the guy had to pass me just so I could pass him later as he tired out.

Full kit is just for when I intend to be on the bike without stopping to go anywhere

Last edited by hairnet; 02-10-13 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-10-13, 06:27 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
just be nice to people, and treat them like you would like to be treated, makes life a little easier.

help people who are stopped and broken, and give up your spares. it pays off in the long run
Old 02-10-13, 06:36 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
it amazes me how often i give a wave or a nod to a fellow rider, and they just look at me or just look away with nothing in response

come to think of it i dont think ive come across a rider with whom ive had a polite exchange with outside of a nod

noone ever says hi or good morning or anything, whether im wearing jeans and a sleeveless shirt or full kit

ive heard i look like an a-hole though
Old 02-10-13, 08:22 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Who gives a rat's ass? Just ride your bike.
Old 02-10-13, 08:44 PM
c0urt
moving target

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Who gives a rat's ass? Just ride your bike.

+1 pretty much doesn't matter let it slide.
Old 02-10-13, 08:53 PM
DanBell

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I saved myself from a whole lot of stress when I stopped trying to figure out other riders' motives. Enjoy riding your bike, treat others the way you want to be treated on the road, and know that nine times of ten, another rider's behavior actually has nothing at all to do with you, despite how it may look.
Old 02-10-13, 09:00 PM
ColtJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The funny thing is when i see guys on the road, some that seem to be flying, they've always been very polite. Same for guys on other types of bikes and senior riders.

In regards to "fully kitted" i meant the guys in the replica sponsor jerseys not cyclists in shorts/bib and cycling jersey.

These interactions do not bother me and as mentioned i enjoy the occasional weird silent race from some random guy that just flipped his lid over me concentrating on my goals.

It is more of a curiosity thing to see if there is/was some sort of history or reason i am not aware of... With that being said, i apologize if this topic came as a waste of reading to anyone.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-10-13, 09:11 PM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
It could be because they can just tell, that you are the kind of guy to go complain on the interwebz about getting your feelings hurt, on the MUP. People who do that are always shunned in bike culture.
Old 02-10-13, 11:43 PM
sinikl

Bikes: Kilo TT, Felt z85, Kona Unit 2-9, 90s Schwinn 9.3 with Noleen fork

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i wave to or nod at everyone i see on a bike. i haven't really gotten "vibed" by anyone, but i don't really get a response, either. i think this is different than motorized 2 wheels, where pretty much anyone except "outlaw lawyers" on checkbook harleys will wave at another motorcyclist. most people just seem like "why's he waving?" i do get some puzzled looks, probably because fat guy on fixed bike slathered with gold anodized parts. one guy i've seen commuting on a road bike much faster than me (we go in opposite directions) started off laughing openly and now i think is "laughing with me" (grin, nod) since i'm still at it and getting slowwwwly faster.

another weird thing that probably only i do is salute drivers of cars who resist the urge to turn left in front of me because they can tell i'd have to check up, if they did. not sure that makes sense to any of them either.
Old 02-10-13, 11:51 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I'm usually in a zone.
Old 02-11-13, 12:27 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm usually in my team kit whether I'm on my FG or road bike and I try to be friendly to all my fellow cyclists. Unless they're doing something stupid or dangerous. And sometimes I may be doing intervals on a training ride and am too fixated on the effort to wave. nothing personal.
Old 02-11-13, 01:01 AM
sheepdog84
derpin'

Bikes: 2014 Stainless Steel Firefly

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, I've had similar experiences and I didn't particularly understand it either...

We are riding bicycles after all- not solving world hunger, the energy crisis, or repaying the nation's tremendous debt.

The Bike Snob NYC has some pretty hilarious and thought provoking commentary and dialogue about "cycling culture" in general on his blog... I finished reading his first book recently. highly recommended.
Old 02-11-13, 07:55 AM
dookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IthaDan
Stop riding on MUPs. You'll be amazed how much that alone will change your interactions.
This.

Hit the road with a friend or two and just cruise. Or find the local shop group ride and join them (please, don't show up brakeless, and do know how far/fast you can ride). Greenways pretty much always suck, and 20mph on a sidewalk full of retirees & toddlers (& wannabes, apparently) just isn't safe anyway.
Old 02-11-13, 02:20 PM
c0urt
moving target

I will actually wave or nod unless climbing a hill, I am on a single speed or fixed gear after all, and it does take effort. in some cases around here I am trying not to **** myself. so waving takes the back page.
Old 02-11-13, 03:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It's been my observation that the worst offenders are the fair weather Saturday MUP warriors. They turn a ride on the path into a race and act like they have to give you The Look when pulling through. But folks who ride every day, whether they're commuters or racers or randonneurs or messengers, they tend to be a lot friendlier. Especially when you're out on a deserted country road in February, you'll usually get some acknowledgement, even if it's just a subtle nod or finger wave.
Old 02-11-13, 05:57 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Cyclists are dicks.
Old 02-11-13, 06:07 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I'm usually in my team kit whether I'm on my FG or road bike and I try to be friendly to all my fellow cyclists. Unless they're doing something stupid or dangerous. And sometimes I may be doing intervals on a training ride and am too fixated on the effort to wave. nothing personal.
yep

Originally Posted by c0urt
just be nice to people, and treat them like you would like to be treated, makes life a little easier.

help people who are stopped and broken, and give up your spares. it pays off in the long run
yep

personally i wave to everyone I see unless it's dangerous to take my hands off the bars at the moment.
when i am out on a solo ride i almost invariably have a pace that I am trying to maintain (heart rate) and so I just let myself pass people and get passed by others indiscriminately.
group rides are different ofc.
Old 02-12-13, 08:26 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
don't worry about it. I get the icy stare from fully kitted roadies all the time. the more roadie I look, the more piercing the stare. the only antidote is riding the tandem. pretty much guaranteed a head nod at least.

my hypothesis: the less serious you look, the greater the chances of friendly responses. I should get a pennyfarthing.
Old 02-12-13, 09:39 AM
lubes17319
Chronic 1st-timer

Bikes: ...take me places.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mtb = fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.