Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Broke a Spoke

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Broke a Spoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-19, 05:27 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I wish I had a spoke cabinet like that, could use a big one. I only keep silver spokes, never bought any in black.
Bought out a couple of builder's inventories 5-6 years ago and what they had was all silver.

I used to get straight and DB spokes at Steve Lebanski's Open Road shop in Pasadena (now in Altadena) and he always gave me the best deal around.
Nice thing is the shelving came with the spokes! It's nothing special, looks like something from Ikea, but with a bit of real wood reinforcing the fiberboard it works and I had the perfect spot for hit in the Atelier.
Old 09-23-19, 08:04 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Well, that is a great offer. Thanks for that.

The sting has already faded a bit.

All I want now is to get the replacement spoke installed so I can go riding again.
Old 09-23-19, 11:25 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Well, that is a great offer. Thanks for that.

The sting has already faded a bit.

All I want now is to get the replacement spoke installed so I can go riding again.
$18, not even a Jackson.

Collectively we can help keep our vintage machines on the road.

Last edited by gugie; 09-24-19 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-24-19, 09:00 PM
Bad Lag

The spokes showed up in the mail today. I wasn't expecting that.

I am feeling a little more, maybe a lot more, charitable given their speedy service for the money paid. That, and the fact that they had them at all.
Old 09-26-19, 10:45 PM
Bad Lag

The more I think about it, the more pleased I was with the speedy service this shop offered on the replacement spoke.

Actually, given the age of the existing wheels and the likelihood they will soon need to be replaced, I will have to go back and see what wheels or wheel building services they offer.

It was small order but they had what I wanted and handled my small order very well.
Old 09-28-19, 05:24 PM
Bad Lag

Ha!

I am a fool.

You guys most assuredly know this by now.

I constantly re-prove it. Here's today's episode.

Prepping to repair the rear wheel, I easily found my dishing gage and spoke wrench but had to scrounge in my tool box for the spoke tension gage. While doing so, I came across,... you guessed it,... a whole BOX of spokes that would have fit the wheel. They are double butted stainless steel, too. LOL!

It's okay to laugh. After all, I am the fool.

Questions -

1. How accurately do you true your wheels? Is a 0.010" band (+/-0.005") too loose, too tight, just right? Is that overkill on truing?

2. What are the recommended spoke tensions for the dished and non-dished sides? How about tension up front (not dished)?

3. The old spokes are marked "P". Who made those, does P = Performance Bike Shop, where I bought the wheels?

Last edited by Bad Lag; 09-29-19 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-29-19, 12:56 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
If you're a fool, so am I. I find the best way to coax a lost part out of hiding is to buy its replacement.

I haven't worked with the MA2 specifically, but I've heard that 100-110 kgf on the drive side works really well. The non-drive side will need to be lower to center the wheel, but strive to keep the tensions even on each side.

Never tried to put a number to how true my wheels are. I just keep going until there's a continuous stream of clicky-ping-scrape sounds on each side of the rim, that all go silent at the same time when I retract the calipers of the truing stand a tiny bit.

Good luck!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-29-19, 08:05 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 661 Posts
Great thread and glad to see Yojimbo's Garage mentioned. Marcus is great and does sell on ebay.

don't get too carried away with the tensiometer in this case. You want to merge the tension of the new spoke in with the others. Winding a 35 year old wheel up to "100-110 kgf" will probably result in more broken spokes.

I would suggest you "ping" the spokes so you have a sense of how tight they are, and then as you true, try to focus on bringing your new spoke up to tension without doing too much twisting of the others.

Get the wheel within a mm or so if you can,. then go ride it for a while and re-true. be sure to replace the nip as well.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 09-29-19, 11:40 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
Great thread and glad to see Yojimbo's Garage mentioned. Marcus is great and does sell on ebay.

don't get too carried away with the tensiometer in this case. You want to merge the tension of the new spoke in with the others. Winding a 35 year old wheel up to "100-110 kgf" will probably result in more broken spokes.

I would suggest you "ping" the spokes so you have a sense of how tight they are, and then as you true, try to focus on bringing your new spoke up to tension without doing too much twisting of the others.

Get the wheel within a mm or so if you can,. then go ride it for a while and re-true. be sure to replace the nip as well.

Mark Petry
That's an excellent point. When working with an older wheel, I try to "respect" the tensions that were used to build it unless I have a darned good reason not to.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-29-19, 12:18 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Dialing in true and round to perfection rarely results in the strongest wheel. You have to balance tension, true and round, but I'd err on a less round wheel if it keeps the tension relatively even. If you're true within a mm, that's good enough.
Old 09-29-19, 12:56 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 661 Posts
"respect the tension" of spokes in an older wheel. That is exactly right.

Mark Petry
Old 09-29-19, 04:27 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag

1. How accurately do you true your wheels? Is a 0.010" band (+/-0.005") too loose, too tight, just right? Is that overkill on truing?

2. What are the recommended spoke tensions for the dished and non-dished sides? How about tension up front (not dished)?

3. The old spokes are marked "P". Who made those, does P = Performance Bike Shop, where I bought the wheels?
1. I think that is overkill, but if you can get that without too much fussing it's fine. As a couple people have already noted, it is counterproductive to try to get a rim too perfect. The best wheels are built relatively quickly and not fussed over too much. It took me some time to learn this lesson, as I tend toward perfectionism.

With vintage rims, you'll find that when you start getting them super true, what happens is one side is true, but the other isn't - due to manufacturing irregularities. Obviously there's little point in trying to exceed those. AFA real numbers, I think about +/-0.015" is sufficient, *maybe* +/- 0.010".

2. I think you could go a bit higher to 110-120 on the drive side. An MA2 can take it. NDS wherever it needs to be to dish properly. I was wondering about what vintage spoke tensions actually were recently. Someone brought up spoke tension on a recent thread about NR high flange hubs, and it seemed high to me. Turns out they were right. No one used tension meters BITD, realistically. Anyhow, out of curiosity I measured the tension of one old wheel I still have, probably built in 1982 or so. NR high flange and GP4. Drive side tensions were about 124-125 on average. This would have been very mainstream at the time. Kind of interesting to me. By about 10 years later, many people were building to much higher tensions than this, which is a bad idea, but I won't anymore.

BTW the above advice is really for a new build. An old rim is likely to not want to be nearly that true. Best thing is to compromise between even spoke tension and true enough. For a simple spoke replacement, there's no need to retension the wheel. Just put in new spoke and tighten up until the rim is as true as it was before. Then do a little touch up truing, and stop.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 09-29-19 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-29-19, 06:43 PM
Bad Lag

I got the rim in a band of 0.010" total runout without too much trouble. That's a testament to the quality of the build on these wheels, especially considering they are 35 years old. I hope I did not mess with their prior success.

What surprised me a little was the dishing was off. Not a lot,.. but off by 0.05". That was easy to fix, too.

All the nipples turned with almost no trouble.