Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Route Planning - I can't do it without "The Strava Matrix"

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Route Planning - I can't do it without "The Strava Matrix"

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-19, 02:21 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
If you want to use Strava but are worried about your driveway showing up
apparently you NEVER reread my Post.
Old 10-30-19, 03:17 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
apparently you NEVER reread my Post.
Hopefully others reading this find the info I provided on opting out of Strava's global heatmap feature and/or setting up privacy zones to be helpful.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-30-19, 03:53 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
Re-read my post again. on the Driveways. I'd have to set up Multiple Privacy zones!
I think I understand you post ... I see a lot of driveways show up when looking at the heat map. Those are users that don't use privacy zones making it too easy to see where they live/work.

You can set up as many privacy zones as you'd like in Strava. I have two around my current house, and still have one for the house I sold last year, and one for your mom's house (JK ... sorry, if that too much ... I'm just making myself laugh ).

You can set the address and radius around the address, plus the software will make it a random circle around the address to avoid people calculating the center of the privacy circle as your house/office/other location. It's a powerful and helpful tool.
Old 10-30-19, 04:14 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffreythree
I always thought it strange that you could zoom in further without the heat map on than with it on. I find myself turning it on and off constantly when creating a new route so that I can zoom in to see the road surface now that I am riding longer routes into new areas that have a lot of gravel roads.
Yeah, you used to be able to zoom right onto someone's home - then people who used strava started seeing their bikes getting stolen from their garage.

Its amazing how many people I follow who don't have privacy zones. I know exactly where they live. Even with satellite view turned off, its not hard to figure out.

Strava got a lot more privacy conscious a couple of years ago when the got blasted for making it pretty obvious where US military installations are around the globe. Ya look in an empty desert in the middle east, and there is a hot spot from strava - ya kinda figure there are a lot of people doing workouts there...
Old 10-30-19, 04:15 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
You can set up as many privacy zones as you'd like in Strava. I have two around my current house, and still have one for the house I sold last year, and one for your mom's house (JK ... sorry, if that too much ... I'm just making myself laugh ).
that is helpful! yeah not being my driveways, I actually give a hoot about other peoples privacy. Friends following me on Strava I don't care that they know where I ride. And I'd still like to contribute to heatmaps, with out the Driveways, (private trails) showing up on heat maps.