Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aluminum Is More Elastic Than Steel

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-17-18, 08:59 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts

Comparing the modulus of elasticity, alloy is springier than steel. With the advent of downward sloping top tubes, we see a lot of road bike frames that significantly depart for the lines of vintage steel road bikes. My guess is, a modern road bike with a lot of exposed aluminum setback seat post probably provides as much road compliance as the traditional steel road bike with a short alloy or even CF seat post.
Old 11-17-18, 09:15 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Aluminum schmaluminum.

The material is only part of it. An aluminum bike can be made as stiff or compliant as the designer wants.

I have a custom True Temper S3 steel frame which is as stiff as any bike. I also have a Bianchi Pista steel bike which is like riding a giant leaf spring. Both are steel and they have vastly different ride qualities.

-Tim-
Old 11-17-18, 09:43 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts

No matter how well made the frame, aluminum has an indistinct fatigue limit. Used long enough, it will fail. Inevitable. Steel and titanium on the other hand have an endurance limit-- if they are exposed to cyclic stresses below the fatigue limit, they will last indefinitely.

So while framebuilding methods can make an aluminum frame as stiff or compliant as you'd like, at some point, it's going to fail.
Old 11-17-18, 09:59 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Fail point, scmail point.

The fail point of aluminum is definitely past 16 years or 65,000 miles.
Old 11-17-18, 10:18 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I snapped a chainstay at ~19,000 miles. The failure point of an aluminum frame is indistinct. Might last 20 years or more. Might die in two.
Old 11-17-18, 10:41 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Comparing the modulus of elasticity, alloy is springier than steel. With the advent of downward sloping top tubes, we see a lot of road bike frames that significantly depart for the lines of vintage steel road bikes. My guess is, a modern road bike with a lot of exposed aluminum setback seat post probably provides as much road compliance as the traditional steel road bike with a short alloy or even CF seat post.
You are nibbling around the edges a bit and so a pop quiz you may appreciate. If you have a natively more flexible material like Al compared to steel, why isn't an Al bike considered 'generally' more comfortable than a steel bike because it would flex more and more flex is generally more forgiving. Why is the opposite perception true?
I would like to hear your thoughts and then will provide the reason. It isn't directly related to amount of seat post exposed.
Old 11-17-18, 10:47 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I snapped a chainstay at ~19,000 miles. The failure point of an aluminum frame is indistinct. Might last 20 years or more. Might die in two.
Just don't agree. Fatigue limit can be tested and is in the laboratory by major manufacturers. I personally have been riding Al bikes a long time and have never seen a fatigue failure. I am sure they maybe out there but so incredibly rare. Force/deflection X's no. of cycles to fatigue. Any frame can be tested in the laboratory at higher forces and larger frame bending amplitudes than a frame would see in the field to failure. Likely some Al frames stroking in the lab throughout the world as I type this.
Old 11-17-18, 11:00 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

You can argue whatever you want, you'll still be wrong. The failure point of aluminum is indistinct. That's a basic fact. Out in my workshop, I have an aluminum frame with a snapped chainstay. It lasted 19,143.8 miles.

Nowhere in this thread have I stated anything resembling an opinion, nothing at all subjective. The failure point of aluminum is indistinct. My chainstay snapped at the above mentioned mileage. Facts.
Old 11-17-18, 11:02 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
The modulus of elasticity is the stiffness per unit area. However, an aluminum frame inevitably requires more cross-sectional area in the members, so the stiffness of actual members may be greater than steel. Making members larger diameter makes them stiffer for bending and torsion, which may nor may not be a good thing.
Old 11-17-18, 11:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Just don't agree. Fatigue limit can be tested and is in the laboratory by major manufacturers. I personally have been riding Al bikes a long time and have never seen a fatigue failure. I am sure they maybe out there but so incredibly rare. Force/deflection X's no. of cycles to fatigue. Any frame can be tested in the laboratory at higher forces and larger frame bending amplitudes than a frame would see in the field to failure. Likely some Al frames stroking in the lab throughout the world as I type this.
As you say, fatigue limit can be tested for but with aluminum, that limit will not be found. So aluminum frames are overbuilt to ensure that the stresses stay so low that the bike will hopefully outlast the original owner. (Klein started the overbuilt model, closely followed by Cannondale. With careful engineering, it has been possible to slim things down a little. The ever increasing desire for super stiff makes the engineers' jobs a lot easier. None of this changes the fact that all aluminum bikes will fail, often suddenly, if ridden enough. There are a lot of aluminum bikes that haven't failed yet. By contrast, a non-high end steel or a ti bike constructed carefully without flaws will last until a big stresser (crash or the like) happens. My Peter Mooney has seen just short of 50,000 miles, Wouldn't surprise me to see it go that far again except it won't be me riding it. (It has not been babied. It has crashed hard several times. On its second fork. Now a modern, bigger tubed and stiffer/lighter modern steel bike would be pretty tired after the same abuse.)

Ben
Old 11-17-18, 11:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Modern bikes are not made out of aluminum.
Old 11-17-18, 11:31 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts

No matter how well made the frame, aluminum has an indistinct fatigue limit. Used long enough, it will fail. Inevitable. Steel and titanium on the other hand have an endurance limit-- if they are exposed to cyclic stresses below the fatigue limit, they will last indefinitely.

So while framebuilding methods can make an aluminum frame as stiff or compliant as you'd like, at some point, it's going to fail.
Sure, but for whatever reason, steel frames tend to go soft with use.
Old 11-17-18, 11:38 PM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
As you say, fatigue limit can be tested for but with aluminum, that limit will not be found. So aluminum frames are overbuilt to ensure that the stresses stay so low that the bike will hopefully outlast the original owner. (Klein started the overbuilt model, closely followed by Cannondale. With careful engineering, it has been possible to slim things down a little. The ever increasing desire for super stiff makes the engineers' jobs a lot easier. None of this changes the fact that all aluminum bikes will fail, often suddenly, if ridden enough. There are a lot of aluminum bikes that haven't failed yet. By contrast, a non-high end steel or a ti bike constructed carefully without flaws will last until a big stresser (crash or the like) happens. My Peter Mooney has seen just short of 50,000 miles, Wouldn't surprise me to see it go that far again except it won't be me riding it. (It has not been babied. It has crashed hard several times. On its second fork. Now a modern, bigger tubed and stiffer/lighter modern steel bike would be pretty tired after the same abuse.)

Ben
Sure, but they build passenger jets from "aluminium".
Old 11-17-18, 11:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Light steel frames where the stresses are above the fatigue limit are subject to minute cracks from those stresses and yes, may start feeling "soft" as the integrity is compromised. My (probably 531) Mooney is not that light and is fully as stiff as new 40 years ago.

Ben
Old 11-17-18, 11:45 PM
Brofessor

Bikes: Schwinn Circuit 89'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Fail point, scmail point.

The fail point of aluminum is definitely past 16 years or 65,000 miles.
Whichever comes first.
Old 11-17-18, 11:46 PM
79pmooney

Sure, but they build passenger jets from "aluminium".
Those planes are on schedules so that aluminum is replaced before it has seen too many cycles. Now, some of the older planes are flown near forever by third world airlines and periodically some of them do fail.

Ben
Old 11-17-18, 11:48 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
I have broken two aluminium frames due to fatigue(on the top tube, about an inch from where the top tube meets the seat tube), neither bike lasted 12 months.

I am 400lbs though.
Old 11-18-18, 12:04 AM
Racing Dan

and carbon supposedly have indefinite fatigue life, except just like steel, titanium and alloy, they too fail in real world application. All of them can be overbuild to the point of lasting forever.
Old 11-18-18, 12:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
you post some wonked stiff, but this is a doozer.

aluminum is also weaker. It's overbuilt and oversized to account for it being a weaker metal. This then, in general, makes it stiffer since larger tubes flex less.

but regardless of that, frame geometry, tubing shape and butting, and tire width all play significant parts in how a bike feels. Stiff or flexible. Plush or harsh. Etc etc.
seatpost has something to do with it, sure, but indont think as much as the 3 variables I listed.

regardless of even all that now- so what? If a compact aluminum frame with an absurdly long seatpost is as compliant as a traditional level top tube steel frane with traditional seat post...so what? What's the reason for posting?
Old 11-18-18, 12:28 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
no. So much no. For the sake of accuracy, read up on frames going soft so you dont feel the urge to post the claim again.
Old 11-18-18, 12:40 AM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
no. So much no. For the sake of accuracy, read up on frames going soft so you dont feel the urge to post the claim again.
Im well aware some claim it doesn't happen. Except it does. Im sure you can build a steel bike that lasts forever and Im sure some do, but definitely not all of them. In that sense they are no different than alloy or what ever else you can think of.
Old 11-18-18, 12:43 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
I cracked a dropout on a Cannondale CAAD7 after 12 years and Cannondale gave me a new CAAD10 as a warranty replacement (this was the year before CAAD12). I was surprised I got the warranty replacement because of the fatigue issue, but I guess Cdale expects their frames to last.
Old 11-18-18, 12:44 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
True, true... e.g.,

The alloy composition of 6061 is: Silicon minimum 0.4%, maximum 0.8% by weight Iron no minimum, maximum 0.7% Copper minimum 0.15%, maximum 0.4% Manganese no minimum, maximum 0.15% Magnesium minimum 0.8%, maximum 1.2% Chromium minimum 0.04%, maximum 0.35% Zinc no minimum, maximum 0.25% Titanium no minimum, maximum 0.15%

(wiki)
Old 11-18-18, 12:51 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
A lot of bicycles are made out of aluminum. Of course some are made of steel.

And then the "boutique" bikes made of Carbon Fiber. They catch people's attention, but the work horses are still aluminum and steel.

Does Cannondale make "modern" bikes?

Then of course, back to the components. Lots of aluminum components including aluminum seatposts mentioned by the OP.
Old 11-18-18, 12:52 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Light steel frames where the stresses are above the fatigue limit are subject to minute cracks from those stresses and yes, may start feeling "soft" as the integrity is compromised. My (probably 531) Mooney is not that light and is fully as stiff as new 40 years ago.

Ben
My 1986 Schwinn Paramount — Columbus SL and SLX is noticably stiffer than my mid2000s SOMA (Tange Presitge) and Jamis Quest (Reynolds 631) frames. All frames weigh about the same.I think differences comes down to wall thickness and the frame builder.I know my Schwinn was handbuilt in Waterford, WI. No odea where or when the others were built. Taiwan I guess.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.