Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2018 Fuji Touring Disc...what's the catch?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-18, 08:02 AM
megaclyde

Bikes: Kona Sutra, Surly Ogre, Kona Rove ST, Trek Stache 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

What's not to like about this bike? Reynolds 520 steel (I know that's just 4130), full deore drivetrain, flat mount disc breaks instead of IS, TRP Spyre breaks, bar end shifters, Lifetime warranty on frame.... seems like a real winner. My local performance bike has one of these on sale for less than $900 which seems like a no brainer. The thing that I find confusing is that all the reviews I've read on the bike say it's great "for the money" but they don't put it on the same level as a Disc Trucker or a Trek 520. Spec for spec, I think the Fuji competes very favorably against those two bikes, even if you ignore the price difference. What am I missing? Is the Fuji frame sub par? Compared to the DT is has flat mount brakes (not IS) with better brakes (in my opinion), a 25lb higher weight limit and a lifetime warranty.
Old 12-28-18, 09:24 AM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Fuji gets no love, I don't know why. Compare components, geometry weight, etc. Ride them all if you can. I wouldn't avoid the Fuji just because its a Fuji. I have one Fuji currently and I can't say anything bad about it. It's a pretty awesome bike.
Old 12-28-18, 09:44 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
Fuji has had a rough past with their marketing approach. When they first entered the US they were a tad heavy, a bit more costly, better finished and worked better then many of the Euro brands. With the Asian invasion in full swing a decade later they were much the same, but now they were against brands that had the same parts and were hungrier for market share. So they still sold in fewer numbers then they might have. When frame production moved to Taiwan (for most brands) Fuji stalled in Japan for a few years and their "value" decreased further. Then they too moved frame production but by then the dealer network pretty much had decided that Fujis were not the presold brand to base a shop on. At some point in the later 1980s or early 1990s Fuji entered into agreements with non traditional distribution channels for the US market (think Amazon but before the interweb). We saw many Fujis coming through our shop that were no better then our base road bike but cost the consumer far less, of course with no dealer backing/assembly/free tuning/proper sizing. At times these bikes cost nothing in that they were spiffs or reward point products. This pretty much put the nail in their coffin for quite a while. To Fuji's credit they saw their errors and have gone back to dealer sales. During all this Fuji changed ownership at least a couple of times.

So it's no surprise that anyone who knows the industry looks at Fuji with some question. Of course this has nothing to do with the actual bikes they produce. Andy
Old 12-28-18, 09:45 AM
megaclyde

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by koolerb
Fuji gets no love, I don't know why. Compare components, geometry weight, etc. Ride them all if you can. I wouldn't avoid the Fuji just because its a Fuji. I have one Fuji currently and I can't say anything bad about it. It's a pretty awesome bike.
My first "good" bike was a Fuji Sportif with shimano 105 STI shifters and derailleurs with the rest being Oval concepts house brand stuff. I was 330lbs when I started riding that bike and the most impressive thing is that the Vera Corsa rims it came with held up to my ******ery. 5 years later I still ride them occasionally and I have yet to break a spoke or do any repairs other than routine truing.
Old 12-28-18, 10:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I'd look askance at the (bankrupt) Performance shop selling the bike; where are you going to get it serviced?

The Fuji bike itself I wouldn't worry about. Fuji bikes are as well made as any other, and somehow they can sell them for hundreds of dollars less than other brands.

Aside: I spread my Fuji frame to 135 mm rear spacing and didn't correctly adjust the dropouts. 10,000 miles later the frame broke, and Fuji replaced the frame out of a different dealer. The replacement frame now has about 45,000 miles on it. It's my normal commuter, and I'd buy another one if I weren't such a bike snob.
Old 12-28-18, 12:38 PM
megaclyde

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'd look askance at the (bankrupt) Performance shop selling the bike; where are you going to get it serviced?

The Fuji bike itself I wouldn't worry about. Fuji bikes are as well made as any other, and somehow they can sell them for hundreds of dollars less than other brands.

Aside: I spread my Fuji frame to 135 mm rear spacing and didn't correctly adjust the dropouts. 10,000 miles later the frame broke, and Fuji replaced the frame out of a different dealer. The replacement frame now has about 45,000 miles on it. It's my normal commuter, and I'd buy another one if I weren't such a bike snob.
First of all, thanks to you the word askance is now part of my vocabulary, so that's pretty awesome. As far as service goes, I do most of my own work. This year I had some vacation time to burn so I went to a bicycle mechanic school for a week long class. I went back a couple of months later for a wheel building class and built my own set of wheels. That was cool. The local shops by me offer free adjustments on bikes that you buy there, but you still pay full price for a full tune up. I do my adjustments and keep my wheels true/tensioned as needed and out of laziness bring the bikes in for an annual service. As such, I'm not giving anything up in terms of where I buy vs. where I get serviced. I may actually stop bringing my bikes in and just do all of my own work after some of the bad experiences I had this year. Nothing major, just attention to detail stuff that I would have done better myself. I think the bike snob thing is what's slowing me from buying this Fuji. And I have no business being a bike snob....none... I really need to do less internet biking and ride more.
Old 12-28-18, 12:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
won't be on TV

Same company that took over Performance Bike Inc. in a debt for equity swap , is controlling the Fuji brand , so their future is up in the air as well..

Bankruptcy court is not as entertaining as Judge Judy...
Old 12-28-18, 12:46 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I wouldnt hesitate to buy a fuji if i were in the market. Personally i'd prefer the older canti brake model.
Old 12-28-18, 01:20 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
it certainly looks like the answer to all your questions doesnt it? All the parts that you are looking for, and already on a bike so no mucking about with taking off parts and putting on your other bike.
I guess the only thing to perhaps look into is how this frame is with heavier riders, just to see if you can find some issues that others have written about. But one gets the impression that it would work as well for you as a trek 520 or whatever.
Old 12-28-18, 01:26 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Nothing that I can tell. I suspect the "for the price" comments come from people who insist you can't get something decent without opening the wallet. If I were buying new under a grand, it'd be near the top of my list, with the Windsor Touring and some of REI offerings on discount at year end. FWIW, if you need a smaller size CRC has them for just over $600 right now: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod178719

Originally Posted by pdlamb
At any bike shop? Never understood the concept of a bike shop that wouldn't service bikes they didn't sell, if that's their attitude they probably don't deserve to remain in business.
Old 12-28-18, 02:20 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Fuji is kind of a discount label, Surly is not. This Fuji tourer looks just as good as a Disc Trucker to me. List price $1300, but Performance is going out of business so they're discounting them.
Old 12-28-18, 07:27 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
The Fuji Touring is a nice ride. Looking at the frame design it has close to neutral trail (I see neutral trail as 60), 45 stays and 73/71 frame angles (XL size) . A good quality bike at a really nice price, just not paying for the name of Surly, Trek, Specialized, etc.
Old 12-28-18, 11:00 PM
manapua_man

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Neighbor has a Fuji Jari. It's a pretty nice bike for what he paid IMHO.
Old 12-29-18, 11:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Once you have it, its just another bike , a frame with Fuji painted on it, everything else is parts.. bike companies buy them by the truckload.
Old 12-29-18, 11:42 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Is there an adaptor for those style brake mounts? It sucks that there was basically a standard for something in the modern bike world and so of course they had to change it. It sucks when Trek(etc) realises a new part they can make money on by changing so that no one can use their old parts. For me personally, if I were touring outside of the US or maybe western Europe, I wouldn’t do it on a bike that I likely can’t fix the brakes on if they break. They’re kind of important.
Old 12-29-18, 12:33 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I like the Fuji I have, it's well built and seems to be durable. Like a lot of bikes, a Fuji is made by Idealbike, mostly in China.

IDEALBIKE

I've had good service out of mine, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another; even if Performance is going out of business.
Old 12-29-18, 01:27 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Hmmm...

Fuji Bikes | Touring Disc

It looks like a solidly built bike.

My Jamis Coda with 520 tubing is SOLID, but overall slightly heavier than I'd like.

As far as Fuji Quality????

This came from my Fuji Ace 650. I believe the aluminum shards in the bottom bracket were original from the factory.

Hopefully they're doing better on their more expensive bikes.
Old 12-29-18, 02:33 PM
CliffordK

I wonder where that bike would fall in the list if one compared it to the REI Co-op bikes?

https://www.rei.com/b/co-op-cycles/c...sort=max-price

Perhaps the Fuji is comparable to the ADV 1.1, which I think is considered to be one of their lighter touring bikes.
https://www.rei.com/product/122462/c...es-adv-11-bike

The ADV 4.2 is more of an all terrain rough road touring bike.
https://www.rei.com/product/122461/c...es-adv-42-bike

The answer really depends on whether the bike build suits your actual needs.

I'm looking at a multi-day (week?) build for primarily road use, and based on a much more nimble design, and not really looking at the LHT. Roadies for touring?
Old 12-29-18, 03:30 PM
megaclyde

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I wonder where that bike would fall in the list if one compared it to the REI Co-op bikes?<br /><br /><a href="https://www.rei.com/b/co-op-cycles/c/bikes?ir=brand%3Aco-op-cycles%3Bcategory%3Abikes&amp;amp;r=b%3Bc&amp;amp;sort=max-price">https://www.rei.com/b/co-op-cycles/c/bikes?ir=brand%3Aco-op-cycles%3Bcategory%3Abikes&amp;r=b%3Bc&amp;sort=max-price</a><br /><br />Perhaps the Fuji is comparable to the ADV 1.1, which I think is considered to be one of their lighter touring bikes.<br /><a href="https://www.rei.com/product/122462/co-op-cycles-adv-11-bike">https://www.rei.com/product/122462/co-op-cycles-adv-11-bike</a><br /><br />The ADV 4.2 is more of an all terrain rough road touring bike.<br /><a href="https://www.rei.com/product/122461/co-op-cycles-adv-42-bike">https://www.rei.com/product/122461/co-op-cycles-adv-42-bike</a><br /><br />The answer really depends on whether the bike build suits your actual needs.<br /><br />I'm looking at a multi-day (week?) build for primarily road use, and based on a much more nimble design, and not really looking at the LHT. Roadies for touring?
<br /><br />I like the CO-OP bike too. The biggest differences between the two is that the CO-OP has WTB rims with Shimano hubs- so probably better than the Fuji house brand, a front thru axle and routing for a dynamo hub, TRP HY/RD brakes, which are very nice. I have them on my Breezer and I'm a big fan. My guess is a lot of touring people won't like them because of added complexity can't replace in upper western Bangladesh.... The REI bike has two nice racks on it, they feel very sturdy in person. I definitely wouldn't classify it as a light tourer though. It's a boat. But in a good way. For the money I think it's a steal and I've test ridden it 3 times and love the way it rides. I'd own one if I could get over the fact that it's the ugliest bicycle ever produced.
Old 12-29-18, 03:42 PM
CliffordK

Of course, at REI, you get a 10% rebate... sometime. Unless one snags a greater discount. 20% off would bring it down close to the Fuji (but still $150 higher).
Old 12-29-18, 08:17 PM
3speed

Originally Posted by megaclyde
I'd own one if I could get over the fact that it's the ugliest bicycle ever produced.
Omg. After you said that, I got curious and clicked in the link. It exceeded my expectations of ugly... That’s a bike only it’s mother could love.
Old 12-29-18, 09:17 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed

Omg. After you said that, I got curious and clicked in the link. It exceeded my expectations of ugly... That’s a bike only it’s mother could love.
it's frame shape reminds me of certain European Santos frames, and I'm a bit surprised it weighs 35lbs, that's nearly 5 lbs more than my troll with a mtb triple and front +rear racks.
Funnily enough I don't find it that ugly, and a quick gearing check shows the 36 24 with the 11 to 42 gives a very good gear inch range, really well suited to off road touring, about 17 to 95 g.i. and the 11 speed 11-42 has nearly identical gear jumps as my 11-34 9 spd or a 10 spd 11-36 with the added cogs.
I'm surprised they went the thumbies route, especially for off road stuff, there's nothing like the fast easy and and sure shifting of trigger shifters.

Last edited by djb; 12-29-18 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-29-18, 11:26 PM
3speed

^ I thought he was talking about the road touring one. That’s the one I was talking about. I also just noticed it has an octalink crank/BB. Isn’t that the funky early 2000’s(something like that) one with, like, 8 splines that was short lived and not particularly available? That would be another touring bike fail for me. Hydraulic brakes, not so common BB, ugly, not a great touring bike choice imo. Fine as a commuter if you don’t mind the looks. I’d take the Fuji for Sure, even if they were both at the Fuji price-point.
But yeah, why thumbies? Hipster bike culture choice? I’m shocked they make 11sp thumbies. Triggers are a huge improvement.
Old 12-30-18, 05:09 AM
CliffordK

Hmmm... Looks like I derailed another topic.

Fuji Touring Disc:
Fuji Bikes | Touring Disc
https://www.cyclingabout.com/2018-fuji-touring-disc/

REI Co-op ADV 1.1
https://www.rei.com/product/122462/c...es-adv-11-bike

The Fuji is listed as 29.6 lbs, the REI Co-op ADV 1.1 at 32.7 lbs.

Hard to say what accounts for the 3 lb weight dependency. What was actually weighed on the two bikes? As configured for sale?

The two frames look very similar, and both with bar end shifters, although the rear dropouts look slightly different, as do the seats and rear derailleurs.

Octalink would undoubtedly be Type II, and still well supported, at least in the USA. However, the crank photo doesn't particularly look like Octalink.
Old 12-31-18, 07:26 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Why the heck are they so heavy? Where's the weight, wheels?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.