Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Panaracer Gravel King SK

Old 11-14-19, 10:01 AM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Panaracer Gravel King SK

I've been running these tires in 38 for years with no problems until my last purchase this summer.

Simply put, these things leak air between the bead and rim when the pressure gets too low.

Previously, I've been able to complete a ride at lower pressure when a puncture would not seal at 40 psi but would at a lower pressure. On the tires, I had a leak that sealed but, I did lose some pressure (not enough IMO to stop and add air). Five miles later, tire loses all air around the bead and with a shot of CO2, I'm back in the game.
Old 11-14-19, 10:44 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
I presume you are running them with the same wheels as in the past?

If “yes,“ then perhaps you just got a bad tire. Or perhaps they changed the molds and they are now designed differently.
Old 11-14-19, 10:46 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
As tubeless tires go...the SKs are some of the looser-fitting tubeless tires for gravel I've used. Particularly after being mounted the first time and stretched a bit. Don't even need tire levers to get them on.

Of course, it also depend on what rims you're using.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 11-14-19, 11:16 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Currently using SK 700x50s, and it's the most difficult to install tire I've ever mounted. But I do like them, once they're installed.
Old 11-14-19, 11:42 AM
Planemaker

Originally Posted by Koyote
I presume you are running them with the same wheels as in the past?

If “yes,“ then perhaps you just got a bad tire. Or perhaps they changed the molds and they are now designed differently.
Been running on the same wheels and new wheels with the same issue.

I'm convinced that Panaracer changed something or had a bad run. I'm getting the impression from the LBS there are others having issues but, they aren't elaborating.
Old 11-14-19, 11:49 AM
Planemaker

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
A ton of rim/tire set-ups have the same issue. Not specific to one tire model, IME. I have a pair of GK slicks that do the same thing but only on Kinlin rims, they don't have the issue on Stan's or HED. I've also seen Schwalbe and Michelin tires do the same on other rims. My last Compass tire started having the issue once it got high-mileage (>3000 miles), only put it on once so I don't think it's always a bead issue, I think there's an interplay with overall tire integrity as well.

I will add that the most recent early/mid-2019 GK models were all more supple than prior models. This may indicate more pressure is needed to increase casing tension such that the bead on a tolerance-loose set-up will burp or bleed easier than the prior examples you had.

Possible remedy? More tape!
Replaced the tape twice and added more layers with no luck.

You may be on to something with the supple tire.

At any rate, I'm going switch tires and see what happens.
Old 11-14-19, 01:54 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
I've only used the Panaracer Gravel Kinds up to this point so I don't have an idea how good or bad they are since I have not tried other tires.. But I've been running them with tubes. I got some new wheels and figured I'd try to go tubeless. I've yet to get the bead fully set. I've tried the soapy water trick and using airshot. Using handsanitizer gel with airshot got me almost all the way there except for one section. My old wheels the bead would pop into place fairly easily. Not with these wheels and tire combination.

My new bike is coming with Maxxis Ramblers so I'll see how those go.
Old 11-14-19, 03:58 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
Replaced the tape twice and added more layers with no luck.

You may be on to something with the supple tire.

At any rate, I'm going switch tires and see what happens.
I hate to say this, but ya know - skinnystrippers will fix that type of problem (burping).
Not affiliated with them - just seems like a cheap way to address a lot of small tubeless issues like this. I keep a pack of them in my garage.
Old 11-14-19, 04:13 PM
redlude97

Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I hate to say this, but ya know - skinnystrippers will fix that type of problem (burping).
Not affiliated with them - just seems like a cheap way to address a lot of small tubeless issues like this. I keep a pack of them in my garage.
I've had two skinny strippers still burp during CX races, they are great but not foolproof in this regard
Old 11-15-19, 03:08 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by redlude97
I've had two skinny strippers still burp during CX races, they are great but not foolproof in this regard
Good to know, thanks.
(On my tires, they tend to hold to the tires like a strong tape (i.e. duct tape)).
Old 11-15-19, 03:19 PM
redlude97

Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Good to know, thanks.
(On my tires, they tend to hold to the tires like a strong tape (i.e. duct tape)).
This was on 33's at ~22psi on pretty aggressive terrain and I'm not light at 180lbs. The latex strip does stick well to the bead but tears/separates when aggressively sheared during sharp cornering. I'll think I'll still stick to tubulars for really low psi
Old 11-15-19, 07:50 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by redlude97
This was on 33's at ~22psi on pretty aggressive terrain and I'm not light at 180lbs. The latex strip does stick well to the bead but tears/separates when aggressively sheared during sharp cornering. I'll think I'll still stick to tubulars for really low psi
I can see that. Thanks.
Racing CX in the morning.
(They have cleared a path on the snow)
Old 11-16-19, 12:19 AM
Wobblewheel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Gravel king 29er x 50

I just put together an allcity junk yard dog I found and have a set of fairly light 29er Bontrager-dt swiss rim brake wheels with panaracer gk's, running between 20 and 35 psi running tubeless. The ride is really compliant and responive. 2 years ago I sold my vintage lugged steel an running tubular tires on old school 10 speeds. The ride quality, low rolling resistance at these low pressures is a revelation to me. I did have a salsa casserolle that ran with 38 size conti urban tires running much higher pressures and they felt heavy- thick...
Old 11-16-19, 10:23 PM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
I've got 700x43c GK SK tires on WTB Asym rims. They were a pain to get installed, had to use a compressor.

I too have ridden them down to 20psi and they were fine.

Had a puncture last week and lost a lot of pressure- maybe down to 10psi? It was really soft, so I hit it with my hand pump. For the first few pump strokes there was sealant bubbling from the bead at the bottom of the wheel. That stopped with more pressure.

So, yeah, not that great of a seal at the bead at lower pressures, but I'm not sure I'd want to run those pressures.
Old 11-18-19, 05:22 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
I just mounted these tubeless on my stock Bontrager Affinity TLR on my Trek FX S6. Ironically...they lose the least amount of air of any of my tubeless road bike setups. On the road bikes they lose maybe 3-5psi overnight, whereas the GK SKs take several days to lose that same amount. I do run them lower though (50psi) compared to my road bikes (65-70psi).
Old 11-19-19, 01:17 AM
tofudog415

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I run the GK SK 43s at pressures between 30 to 40 psi. The tires lose maybe about 5 psi per week at most, set up tubeless with Stans Race sealant. These tires were really quite hard to get on my 21mm internal rims, and I needed to use an Airshot to pop them onto the rims, as a floor pump did not provide enough air volume quickly enough. Once seated, though, the seal was fantastic and quick with Stans. The tires do stretch out after that initial seating. After six months, I did a sealant check and top off, so I broke the bead and took the tire off part way. It was way easier to do this than the first time around. I still needed to use a lever to get the tire off, but I was able to use my fingers to get the tire back on after adding sealant. Another Airshot got the bead seated again, and the tire sealed up perfectly once more, good as new.