Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Selle Italia Trans Am verses the Max Trans Am

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-02, 07:19 PM
Gary W. Graley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If anyone has tried both of these seats, let us know your findings, as I picked up the plain one and meant to get the Max one, which reads as being wider but with Mag rails instead of Titanium rails not sure why they did that part different...

So let us know which you liked and why on these two as I found the regular one to be a bit too narrow in the seat area for me...so far....

G2
Old 08-19-02, 07:26 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
Saddle fit is a VERY personal issue. Find one which presses directly on your pelvis, rather than on the soft urogenital tissues in the center. Sheldon has a great discussion on saddle comfort.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-20-02, 08:50 AM
Rich Clark
A Heart Needs a Home

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a hard time thinking of a less important spec than saddle rail material.

The distance between your ischeal tuberosities -- your "sit bones" -- is a fixed measurement. A bike saddle *must* support your weight at these points, and nowhere else.

Of the two saddles you mentioned, the one that better matches that measurement is the better choice. It's that simple. Now, it's also possible that neither saddle is a proper match and you should keep looking, but that's a different question.

RichC
Old 08-20-02, 09:02 AM
stewartp
put me back on my bike

Bikes: Airbourne Carpe Diem + own brand fixed gear

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have the Selle Italia Octavia Gel.

No I know this is neither of the above but. . .

Its a fine saddle for rides of about 20-50 miles. Above that it chafes like hell and rides of over 100 miles give me saddle sores.

I plan to change to a Brooks asap. The idea being that the Brooks will form itself to fit your butt (or your butt forms itself to fit the Brooks - its debatable)

So - either the Trans Am or the max Trans Am may suit - depending on the length of your rides. short commutes won't give you enough time in the saddle for poor fit to be a major pain.

There's at least one shop in the UK (Is it SJS or Settle cycles?) that will send you 6 saddles of your choice for you to try for a few months. maybe there's such a place near you.

Stew
Old 08-20-02, 09:02 AM
Gary W. Graley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Rich,
While I agree about the Rail material, I was just curious as to why the change from one similar saddle to the next from the same manufacture is all.

I did take a read on Sheldon Browns article about Saddles and it makes much more sense they way he explains it.
I returned both saddles to Supergo.com for credit and will continue to search for a saddle but will put my efforts into visiting LBS and doing some Sitting on my Sit Bones to see which one is really best for me. From his article I may well keep my one saddle I have but on the other new bicycle arriving, I was told it needed replacing anyways so I'll be in the market for a new saddle for that one. Now that Cannondale R500 should be arriving to my house this afternoon...can't wait to try that one out, aluminum frame verses my old steel framed Schwinn Super Le Tour will be a marked change I'm sure, I've heard tell that the Al frames are a lot stiffer ride so I'll see how it goes but with the stiffness comes more power transfer?
Thanks for the help guys!
G2

ps
Stew, you must have been writing as I was answering, thanks for your imput, I'll certainly be more aware of those types of saddles! Unfortunately there isn't a nice LBS that would allow a trial for a saddle...so I'll measure across my Sit Bones and take a ruler with me when I go out searching!

Last edited by Gary W. Graley; 08-20-02 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-20-02, 09:10 AM
stewartp
put me back on my bike

Bikes: Airbourne Carpe Diem + own brand fixed gear

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Gary - I have some relatives in Waterford PA. Went there for a holiday over christmas a few years back.

I like it. v old fashioned. men gamble in each others garages. women go bowling thurs.

SNOW!

Stew