Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Changing skewers for the trainer

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05, 10:07 PM
JungleCat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep, I'm pretty clueless. I didn't even know the thing was called a skewer until I got the trainer. It looks like it'll be easy to switch out but I'm just checking before I start chasing ball bearings around my apt. All it takes is unwinding the current one, slipping it out, inserting the trainer's skewer and tightening?
Old 12-01-05, 10:12 PM
roadracer13
BianchiBeaatch!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The skewer only has like 4 parts... the axle, the nut on the right side and two springs. They only trick to changing a skewer is making sure those springs are small side facing inside. No worries... this is one of the easiest things on a bike to work on. No ball bearings.
Old 12-02-05, 12:27 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
You don't UNWIND skewers until you have opened the lever/cam first. Once it's opened then you can unwind it and the only items you need to catch are the two little springs. When your putting a skewer back in have the lever/cam in the open position and wind it on up to the point that when you go to close the cam it first meets resistance with the lever sticking straight out. Then close it and your set to go.

Regards, Anthony
Old 12-02-05, 10:00 AM
JungleCat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, thanks! Does the new skewer need lubrication at all?
Old 12-02-05, 10:07 AM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No it doesn't.
Old 12-02-05, 10:26 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
it's probably possible to use your current skewer for the trainer as well. i,for one, have not swapped out skewers - although if it didn't fit right i'd swap.
Old 12-02-05, 11:02 AM
JungleCat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan
it's probably possible to use your current skewer for the trainer as well. i,for one, have not swapped out skewers - although if it didn't fit right i'd swap.
hmmm... Maybe I'll try that but in looking at other posts concerning skewers, they can become bent, though I wasn't clear on whether it was from regular road use or from being squeezed in trainers.
Old 12-02-05, 11:44 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Some of the "aero" or open cam skewers don't fit well in the trainer attachment. That was the case with the skewers that came with my Rolfs. So I just switched in an old-school Ultegra skewer.

FWIW, Sheldon Brown thinks the older design is superior.
Old 12-02-05, 12:21 PM
TassR700

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Gary Fisher Tassajara; Motobecane Boris Fatbike; Cannondale Habit

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
The trainer can also scratch your skewer ends so if that is something that concerns you, you may want to switch.
Old 12-02-05, 12:24 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TassR700
The trainer can also scratch your skewer ends so if that is something that concerns you, you may want to switch.
Ditto. I've also seen some that appear to have plastic rather than metal ends. I recommend metal in the trainer.
Old 12-02-05, 12:33 PM
TCR
Riding Heavens Highway

Bikes: '04 Giant TCR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So there's no reason why I can't use my stock (105 I guess) skewers that came with my bike. I used to switch it out with the skewer that came with my CycleOps but it's a pain in the arse to do that everytime. The stock 105 skewer doesn't fit perfect in the notch like the trainer skewer but if I adjust it properly (not too tight nor too loose) it seems to hold ok and work fine.
Old 12-02-05, 01:00 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I just use the skewer that came with my Cyclops and use it all the time. I am a bit anal and don't want to scratch up the good skewer that came with the wheel. I got a second one for my wife's bike for the same reason and she had the stock Specialized skewers.
Old 12-02-05, 01:31 PM
Nashville Man

Bikes: Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
I just use the skewer that came with my Cyclops and use it all the time. I am a bit anal and don't want to scratch up the good skewer that came with the wheel. I got a second one for my wife's bike for the same reason and she had the stock Specialized skewers.

Ditto here. I've also found the trainer included skewer makes the wheel fit much more snug in the trainer creating less "shake" in the rear triangle.
Old 12-02-05, 05:50 PM
TrekDen
Double Naught Spy

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1 Comp, 2013 Scott Scale 960 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm shocked we have not mentioned getting a titanium skewer, so it won't bend. Whoops, I guess I just did . Actually, I usually get a cheap one from the LBS that will fit on the mounts. I also apply a small amount of grease on the centers. It may not be required, but it also has not hurt anything either.
Old 12-02-05, 08:06 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by TCR
So there's no reason why I can't use my stock (105 I guess) skewers that came with my bike. I used to switch it out with the skewer that came with my CycleOps but it's a pain in the arse to do that everytime. The stock 105 skewer doesn't fit perfect in the notch like the trainer skewer but if I adjust it properly (not too tight nor too loose) it seems to hold ok and work fine.
I believe all the modern 105 skewers have plastic caps over metal on one end. The trainer will wear these out or break them eventually. That's one reason the trainer comes with an all metal skewer. Just leave the metal one on the bike all the time.
Old 12-02-05, 08:09 PM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
The cycleops skewer fits better than the bontrager on my trainer. It also is scratched up from trying. Takes only a second to change them out.
Old 12-03-05, 12:38 PM
jazzy_cyclist

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a couple times it will only take you (literally) a minute to switch skewers. A tip - once you put a skewer on - either the original or the the trainer - pick up the bike by the seat and rotate the wheel to make sure that it is straight and doesn't rub against the brakes (like I did once with my wife's bike ).
Old 12-03-05, 01:32 PM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Cannondale R2000 skewers will not seat properly in the CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer.
So I must use the skewer which came with the trainer. This skewer does not lock as well as my Cannondale skewer. I need to apply more force. The cam action is different.
I am a big guy at 195 lb. 74" tall. The CycleOps is flexing and causing a metallic sound every crank revolution above 16 MPH. It is a side flexing caused by my force of pedaling. I guess that I am not just spinning. I have used clotheslines to tie the bike to the legs of the trainer and keep it from rocking. That helps but does not look elegant. Thinking to contact CycleOps.
Does anyone have similar problems and perhaps a solution?
Old 04-26-07, 12:34 PM
ginsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i thought i had the flexing problem as both me and my girlfriend use the trainer. i gave her the skewer tht came with the trainer, adn i jsut use an old MTB rear skewer. It was craking and I thought that the bearings or my CF frame was going to die, but after oiling the cups a little but where the skewer contacts the trainer, its all good.

However, I dobnt think the flange on the non QR side of the skewer is wide enough, and its wearng out. Where can I buy a skewer that is exactly liek the Cycleops skewer that was included?
Old 04-26-07, 12:50 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
If your using an expensive skewer you care about not scratching, change it out. Otherwise, just put a cheap skewer on for the road and the trainer, and don't worry about it.
Old 05-02-07, 10:29 AM
ginsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am using a cheap skewer, however, the flange on the skewer is not wide enough and it wants to rock around in the cyclops cup. I am asking if someone knows of a cheap road skewer that has a big enough flange on it. part number would be cool so i can order it from nashbar or performance or get it at my LBS.
Old 08-30-10, 08:15 PM
djpfine

Bikes: Wilier Izoard, Tricross FG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The extra skewer for my Fluid 2 only comes with one spring, whereas the skewer on my bike has two (one on each end). Is my Cycleops skewer missing a part, or am I supposed to reuse an original spring?
Old 08-31-10, 08:04 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by djpfine
The extra skewer for my Fluid 2 only comes with one spring, whereas the skewer on my bike has two (one on each end). Is my Cycleops skewer missing a part, or am I supposed to reuse an original spring?
It's not critical. It's a little more convenient to use two springs. Take one off the bike.