Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

how do i build a centaur kit

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-03-05, 08:12 AM
scarpi41
Come on you reds!

Bikes: Bikeless in NY, due to a few thugs. But I do own a Kestrel in Florida

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If i want to build a kit-i need some serious help. campy centaur. Any input would be good
Old 12-03-05, 08:16 AM
scarpi41
Come on you reds!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to add on to the thread, like whats the difference between a long or short derailluer? just the beginning of my troubles.........
Old 12-03-05, 08:17 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you don't build it, you buy it and install the components on your frame.
Old 12-03-05, 08:18 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
long-cage is for wide gearing (triple crank). short cage is for standard gearing (double crank)
Old 12-03-05, 08:21 AM
quitchat

Bikes: Merida Road904

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy the groupset,and you won't have to worry about the compatibility thing.
Old 12-03-05, 08:25 AM
scarpi41
Come on you reds!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whats the difference between an italian or engilish bottom bracket?
Old 12-03-05, 08:35 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
your frame' BB threading will be Italian or English. They have different thread pitches. They are not interchangeable. If you have a frame made in Italy, it is most likely Italian threading. Most new frames are English threaded.
Old 12-03-05, 09:32 AM
uctke283

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 Disc, Orbea Rallon, Cannondale Scalpel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
your frame' BB threading will be Italian or English. They have different thread pitches. They are not interchangeable. If you have a frame made in Italy, it is most likely Italian threading. Most new frames are English threaded.

You need to measure though, my made in italy bianchi uses an english thread bb, not italian.
Old 12-03-05, 09:40 AM
roadracer13
BianchiBeaatch!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
long-cage is for wide gearing (triple crank). short cage is for standard gearing (double crank)
Actually, long cage front derailleur is for triple, MEDIUM cage is for standard 53-39 and short is for Compact crank set-up.

There are also 3 sizes in rear derailleur as well. They will depend on your front sprocket selection mixed with the size of gears (cog set) you are going to run on the back. Same situation... Long, Med and Short.

Why don't you tell us what kinda bike you are trying to build?
Old 12-03-05, 09:48 AM
Joe Dog
One Hep Cat

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check (commuter), Lemond Sarthe (sports car), Schwinn fixed gear conversion (for fun)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hie thee to a bike shoppe, lest ye make an expensive mistake.

Website
Old 12-03-05, 11:49 AM
head_wind
Hypoxic Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Go to the Campy website and download the Centaur 'specs'. If I recall right you'll see that the medium cage rear deraileur is for the 13-29 cassette. Front derailleur has a choice of braze on or clamp on. There is even a color choice of bright or gray and other choices to be made.

Instead of our collective memory I'd say go to the source.

https://www.campagnolo.com/groupsets.php?gid=3&cid=all
https://www.campagnolo.com/groupsets.php?gid=3&cid=1

motto: ___start slow, then ease off___
Old 12-03-05, 11:52 AM
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor

Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say you should really take the frame to a shop and have them do the upgrade..
Old 12-03-05, 01:02 PM
scarpi41
Come on you reds!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadracer13
Actually, long cage front derailleur is for triple, MEDIUM cage is for standard 53-39 and short is for Compact crank set-up.

There are also 3 sizes in rear derailleur as well. They will depend on your front sprocket selection mixed with the size of gears (cog set) you are going to run on the back. Same situation... Long, Med and Short.

Why don't you tell us what kinda bike you are trying to build?
Um well, if uve noticed my previous post on how i won a colnago c40 frame. I wanna get a good centaur kit on this for a good price. Handlebars and stem are next, then rims. last would be seatpost nd seat, idk about the order but i do wanna get the campy kit asap. Ive nvr built a bike before, and the knowledge i gain from this will certainly expand my knowledge of the bike, its parts and how it all works.
Old 12-03-05, 01:42 PM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you please speak ENGLISH?

I realize this is the internet, and you are anonymous, but please, make it readable for the rest of us. We will subconsciously (or consciously) treat your posts more seriously, and you will get better information in return for putting a wee little bit more effort into your posts. It won't hurt you, but it will certainly help you.

I don't know how old you are, but if you are going to be approaching the age of college applications, I would advise you to change your habits rather quickly. I am an assistant to a professor, and I help with an online forum for one of his classes. In it, the students, who are all freshman, communicate, and I can answer questions for them as well as observe. While doing this, I have come to the conclusion that those who communicate on this forum (which is kind of like an AIM chat) using proper english have grades on the papers I grade that are generally superior to those who speak AIM-ese, like you are currently doing.

Think about it.
Old 12-03-05, 02:13 PM
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor

Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scarpi41
Um well, if uve noticed my previous post on how i won a colnago c40 frame. I wanna get a good centaur kit on this for a good price. Handlebars and stem are next, then rims. last would be seatpost nd seat, idk about the order but i do wanna get the campy kit asap. Ive nvr built a bike before, and the knowledge i gain from this will certainly expand my knowledge of the bike, its parts and how it all works.

Or totaly screw the campy kit up and need to be replaced. Seriously, take apart a cheap bike first and put it back together several times before trying this. Or at least go to a shop and have them double check every thing
Old 12-03-05, 06:05 PM
scarpi41
Come on you reds!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvish Legion
Or totaly screw the campy kit up and need to be replaced. Seriously, take apart a cheap bike first and put it back together several times before trying this. Or at least go to a shop and have them double check every thing
Im just ordering, not installing.
Old 12-03-05, 06:19 PM
dekalbSTEEL
Well, duh, Mr Obvious.

Bikes: see sig, and others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, instead of just being negative, I will actually give you some information that might just help.
Try here:
https://eurobikeparts.com/

They seem to have a full selection of groupsets and reasonable pricing.
They also have free shipping on orders over $200.
Good luck.
Old 12-03-05, 08:58 PM
dekalbSTEEL
Well, duh, Mr Obvious.

Bikes: see sig, and others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://classifieds.consumerreview.co...uery=retrieval

a possibility?
Old 12-03-05, 09:14 PM
CPcyclist

Bikes: Lemond Arrivee, Felt F1 Road, Tomac Revolver(full), GT race (hardtail)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
Can you please speak ENGLISH?

I realize this is the internet, and you are anonymous, but please, make it readable for the rest of us. We will subconsciously (or consciously) treat your posts more seriously, and you will get better information in return for putting a wee little bit more effort into your posts. It won't hurt you, but it will certainly help you.

I don't know how old you are, but if you are going to be approaching the age of college applications, I would advise you to change your habits rather quickly. I am an assistant to a professor, and I help with an online forum for one of his classes. In it, the students, who are all freshman, communicate, and I can answer questions for them as well as observe. While doing this, I have come to the conclusion that those who communicate on this forum (which is kind of like an AIM chat) using proper english have grades on the papers I grade that are generally superior to those who speak AIM-ese, like you are currently doing.

Think about it.

Second the above, also note the mods may tap you on the shoulder for this kind of typing as it is not accepted per the member rules. Capitalization is a good thing to when you pick about English.

As to your post with a c40 frame I would think you are looking to build the bike as a double in that case buy a Centaur group with the short cage Rear Derailleur (RD) and a double Front Derailleur. The rest of the parts will work with these two.

As a note I run a Campy Chorus Groupo with the short RD and the 13-29, properly adjusted this works great and still allows me to run an 11-23 for races and have crisp quick shifts.
Old 12-04-05, 04:04 AM
jeh
that's how i roll.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CPcyclist
As a note I run a Campy Chorus Groupo with the short RD and the 13-29, properly adjusted this works great and still allows me to run an 11-23 for races and have crisp quick shifts.
I thought you needed the medium rd for an 11-23, does it work ok with a short one as well?
Old 12-04-05, 08:01 AM
EURO
My toilet-Floyd's future

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't get Centaur.
Old 12-04-05, 08:51 AM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Centaur is a good kit, but maybe chorus is more up your alley, especially on a colnago.

Look at your BB threads, italian threaded BBs have the threads both going the same way...I made this mistake and bought a chorus BB that was in italian....still sitting here in my apt.

And, a groupset is not hard to install, you just need the right tools, and either a strong arm, or a long torque wrench.

You WILL need the following tools if you choose to install it yourself:

Torque wrench : carftsman makes a very affordable needle type one, but I reccomend finding a dual-direction micrometer sttyle wrench...they are far more accurate.

Bottom bracket/cassette tool: this tool is maded to fit in a wrench, but if you find the same size nut, you can fit it into a socket and use the torque wrench for precise torqueing.

Chain tool: get anything that will work with 10sp....if you buy cheap, get two..I have never had a cheap tool last more than a few breaks.

cable cutters: get a good bike cable specific cutter. Park tool makes a pro gradde cutter thats super nice, and also has some spots that are good for crimping cable ends on.

A small triangle file: good for fixing cable housing after cuts.

Allen wrench set: metric, from 2.5mm all the way to 8, that way you are covered for near anything

philips screwdriver

sharp knife: I prefer the "snap-blade" disposable box-cutters...these are great when working on bar wrap

electrical tape: for bar wrap, get whatever matches your tape

I've done a campy conversion, and most of the problems that arise are either from trying to keep old parts, or being forgetful. PM me if you have any questions.