Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sticky OnGuard U-Lock

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Sticky OnGuard U-Lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-08, 03:50 PM
tdd214

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sticky OnGuard U-Lock

I have an OnGuard U-lock that I purchased a few months ago. I'm curious if anyone else has had problems with their OnGuard lock becoming sticky. The rubber lock cover is just completely sticky, like the sticky side of tape. Very confusing. I've done some searching around, but haven't found any mention of this online anywhere.

It had been used to lock my bike outside every weekday, in the sun for part of the day. I recently tried to clean off the sticky stuff with some alcohol, and that just caused more stickiness.

Thanks,
TD
Old 09-13-08, 04:00 PM
z415

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have that problem - the rubber cover to keep you from dinging anything is still smooth for me. However, I do have the problem of the lock cylinders not fully engaging.
Old 09-13-08, 06:30 PM
Mondoman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you cool down the lock, does the stickiness go away? I've seen a car dash do a similar thing when hot; presumably, the plastic wasn't quite fully cured, and so when it heated up, it essentially starting "melting". If that's what you've got, it's a manufacturing defect in the plastic.
Old 09-13-08, 09:32 PM
z415

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondoman
If you cool down the lock, does the stickiness go away? I've seen a car dash do a similar thing when hot; presumably, the plastic wasn't quite fully cured, and so when it heated up, it essentially starting "melting". If that's what you've got, it's a manufacturing defect in the plastic.
Would that apply to hoods for road levers too?

OP: maybe they are just really dirty and you can get in there with something lightly abrasive. My parents' old car had a dirty and grimy and consequently sticky steering wheel and some work on it with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser took care of it
Old 09-14-08, 09:31 AM
benhenley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an On-Guard too and the U part of the lock isnt sticky at all, but where the locking mechanism is rather sticky on just the one side of the key though. Doesnt really bother me. It keeps my bike safe and thats what matters.
Old 08-11-18, 01:40 AM
DutchTouch1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ben, curious if in the last 10(!) years, your lock has gotten so sticky, it became virtually unusable. Did you find a solution? Thanks in advance....
Old 08-11-18, 01:43 AM
DutchTouch1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sticky On Guard lock cover

tdd - yes, I have the exact same issue. The plastic cover, black part only, of the lock barrel is so sticky that it is practically unusable. What an unpleasant mess. Attempts to clean with soap, Simple Green, vinegar, alcohol have all been unsuccesful. Did you or anyone else ever find a solution?
Old 08-11-18, 01:47 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Must be something in the rubber? I don't have a lock but I have the Zoom H6 audio recorder and the rubber surrounding the unit became tacky as well.

It took some effort but a little alcohol and some elbow grease removed virtually all of the sticky film. Perhaps you need to use more elbow grease?
Old 08-11-18, 08:12 AM
jasnooks

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DutchTouch1
Ben, curious if in the last 10(!) years, your lock has gotten so sticky, it became virtually unusable. Did you find a solution? Thanks in advance....
Looks like the last time Ben posted here was in late 2008, so I doubt he'll reply.

While I don't have any experience with this lock, I have an old computer mouse with rubber sides that has been sticky for years. Also have an old pair of bike grips that had the same issue. No amount of cleaning helped. Tried Windex, rubbing alcohol, dish soap, and even tried all 3 combined with scrubbing with a scotch Brite pad. Just seemed to make it worse.
Then one day after patching a tube, and rubbing it down with baby powder before reinstalling, I had an idea pop into my head, and decided to give it a try.
Soaked a rag with rubbing alcohol, and scrubbed the grips with it. Then after they fully dried, I put a generous amount of baby powder in my hand, and rubbed it into the sticky grips. Then wiped the excess of with a clean rag. No more gross sticky grips.
After a few rides, the grips got their grippy feeling back, but not the sticky mess feeling. Now after 100 miles or so, they still feel good.
Btw, this worked for that old sticky computer mouse also.

Not sure if this is a permanent fix, but baby powder is cheap, so I'll just reapply if needed.

Oh, and one more thing to note, I used dollar store baby powder that had the ingredients listed as talc and fragrance. I assume the cornstarch kind would also work, but I've never tried it.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-11-18, 10:44 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
The one I bought in the mid 2000s is also sticky over the rubber parts. It must be some sort of breakdown of the rubber.
Old 08-11-18, 12:16 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Thanks for the tip on baby powder. Mine were a little sticky and I used Goo Gone and then powder and it works. Reminded me of using baby powder on my hands after repairing surfboard dings.

John
Old 08-11-18, 02:41 PM
jasnooks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Thanks for the tip on baby powder. Mine were a little sticky and I used Goo Gone and then powder and it works. Reminded me of using baby powder on my hands after repairing surfboard dings.

John
Awesome, glad it worked for ya.
Now you have to share why you put it on your hands after repairing surfboards.. To get rid of the waxy feeling, is all I can imagine. Note, I'm not a surfer, but I do believe that wax is involved.
Old 08-11-18, 03:21 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
It's pretty simple. You prep the repair area, cut the glass, and mix up the resin. Even though I'm using a wooden stir stick I invariably use a finger or 2 to push or smooth something out and get resin on my hands. It is basically a race against the resin curing. Even with acetone, my fingers will still be sticky and powder helps. The best stuff is dirt, but I stopped running sticky hands in the dirt years ago.

John
Old 08-11-18, 05:31 PM
Vefer

Bikes: Trek 4300, '84 Trek 400,'88 Trek, 85 Trek 720 560, 82 Motobecane Randonee, 75 Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn Sierra, '84 Trek 890, 2001 Trek 5200 OCLV USPS, 99 Trek Y Foil

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Maybe???? Certain sun tan lotions and bug repellents have plasticizers in them and they can slowly over time slowly soften plastics, rubbers and spandex materials. might have happened to your lock?
Old 08-12-18, 12:43 AM
jasnooks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
It's pretty simple. You prep the repair area, cut the glass, and mix up the resin. Even though I'm using a wooden stir stick I invariably use a finger or 2 to push or smooth something out and get resin on my hands. It is basically a race against the resin curing. Even with acetone, my fingers will still be sticky and powder helps. The best stuff is dirt, but I stopped running sticky hands in the dirt years ago.

John
Ah, makes sense now.
​​​​​​I'm no stranger to 5 minute epoxy, so I feel your pain, lol.
Old 08-12-18, 08:26 AM
DutchTouch1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stick plastic? Alcohol!

Thanks, Jasnooks. Alcohol did the trick. I used 70% isopropyl alcohol with paper towel and some light scrubbing. It got rid of the stickiness (at least for now), though the black plastic does have a faded grey cast to it, which doesn’t bother me. The lock is once again usable! Btw, I recommend applying WD-40 to the mechanism after the alcohol dries; and then lubricating the mechanism after that dries. Ride On!
Old 09-23-18, 03:40 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Now that you mention it, can't somebody make an electronic lock that broadcast a warning if its ever cut? Electronics are popping up all over bikes, but bike security seems to be stuck in the dark ages. Do I need to send an e-mail to Kryptonite?
Old 08-16-22, 12:44 PM
Bicycle365

Bikes: Surly LHT Custom Build

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Auto Detailer + Corn Starch

This is one of the oldest posts I have ever replied to (necro-posting) but since this seems to be due to materials aging, It is not likely to get better. Case in point, I found this today because I searched for it now in 2022...
Had this issue with my On-Guard cable lock too. It seems to be something leaching out of their rubber armor. I tried the Isopropyl Alcohol route too , but as mentioned it just seemed to bring it all to the surface and make it worse. I then tried 303 Aerospace Detailer for cars and even straight silicone spray, oddly it was then both slippery and sticky at the same time , who knew that was even possible . The last thing was just straight corn starch rubbed in and dusted off with a cheap paint brush. That worked but we will have to wait to see if it lasts or survives rain and the elements.
Joe B
Old 08-16-22, 01:11 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Rubber ages and its links get shortened. There are some products that could help that were developed for restoring tape recorder rollers such as Rubber Renue or Rubber Rejuvenator. Otherwise, it may be necessary to remove the rubber, such as after soaking it with Heptane.
Old 08-23-22, 01:43 PM
DutchTouch1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old and gold....

Don't give up on the alcohol. It does take plenty of damp alcohol-soaked rags and plenty of time, but eventually, the lock (or mouse or pushbuttons, or...) will lose teh stickiness.Good luck!
Originally Posted by Bicycle365
This is one of the oldest posts I have ever replied to (necro-posting) but since this seems to be due to materials aging, It is not likely to get better. Case in point, I found this today because I searched for it now in 2022...
Had this issue with my On-Guard cable lock too. It seems to be something leaching out of their rubber armor. I tried the Isopropyl Alcohol route too , but as mentioned it just seemed to bring it all to the surface and make it worse. I then tried 303 Aerospace Detailer for cars and even straight silicone spray, oddly it was then both slippery and sticky at the same time , who knew that was even possible . The last thing was just straight corn starch rubbed in and dusted off with a cheap paint brush. That worked but we will have to wait to see if it lasts or survives rain and the elements.
Joe B