Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hand Numbness

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 07:55 AM
Sjtaylor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 20 Posts
Hand Numbness

Having hand numbness issues. Trying different things, including moving the stem up, straight bars with bar ends and drop bars. Any suggestions on how to address this?

Thanks.
Old 08-27-18, 08:02 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Move the seat back. That's counter-intuitive as you'd think that means you'd lean forward more, thus putting more pressure on the bars. But what it does is move your center of gravity back so you're not crammed up into the bars and moves your body mass to the seat rather than the bars.

Also don't lean into your hands as much. Seriously. Work on core strength and offload more your upper body weight onto your core, rather than onto to bars.

And get more cushy bar tape / grips. Or more ergonomic grips that fit your hands better.

And get alternate grip points. If you're using a straight bar, add bar ends of bolt on drops to give you a different grip position so you rotate the part of your hands that are tired.

Most importantly, get used to it. It's part of biking. You can minimize it but it's always going to be a part of biking the longer you ride.
Old 08-27-18, 08:28 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Hit the gym. Do core muscle workouts.

Bend your arms.

On the ride, consciously hold your torso up with your hips/back/stomach.

LOWER the stem even more. Paradoxically, you will hit a point where your back muscles are taut and it will hold you up instead of your hands holding you up.

Less effective: Try rotating the shifters, assuming you have drop handlebars, inward a little bit. I find this relieves some of the pressure on my hands. But that is in part due to shoulder injury, so it might not work for you.
Old 08-27-18, 08:44 AM
WarrenR

Bikes: 2005 Peugeot Evasion 2019 Trek Verve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
My thoughts: numbness is caused by lack of blood flow. The blood flows through the underside of your wrist, when you're pushing on to that place you're restricting the flow. More cushion in that area without a place to allow the flow can be a bad idea. A lot of bike gloves build up the area on the sides to allow blood flow through the middle. I have trekking bars and after 3 or 4 hours I start moving my hands around putting the weight one side and then the other allowing flow through the middle. That's what works for me.

I followed all the above advice too
Old 08-27-18, 08:49 AM
cynergy

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Trek 520, Trek Allant+ 8S

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
on long rides i get this too when i ride my flat bar bike. when it's safe to do so, riding with no hands helps me.
Old 08-27-18, 08:50 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Go to an LBS, get a good bike fit, start there.
Old 08-27-18, 09:15 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
If you have squishy bar tape like most people do in this era of "comfort" everything then try cotton tape. That's all I use.
Old 08-27-18, 09:21 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
If you have squishy bar tape like most people do in this era of "comfort" everything then try cotton tape. That's all I use.
Like lowering the handlebar to get weight off the hands/wrists, using non-squishy tape is a counter intuitive suggestion that works for many people.
Old 08-27-18, 09:44 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
Like lowering the handlebar to get weight off the hands/wrists, using non-squishy tape is a counter intuitive suggestion that works for many people.
Same thing with gloves. Heavily padded gloves can lead you to keep your hands in the same position for too long.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-27-18, 09:59 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Same thing with gloves. Heavily padded gloves can lead you to keep your hands in the same position for too long.
It's not just that. Squishy gloves and bar tape can have the same effect that gel saddles have on your butt. There's a reason why no one uses those. Besides, cotton bar tape has the best grip, especially wet.
Old 08-27-18, 10:17 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I've found that it helps to keep changing my hand positions.
Old 08-27-18, 10:21 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
What helped me a lot was doing a "warmup" (I use the term loosely because if you're not already in good shape it's kind of a workout) routine called Limber 11:

It loosened some things up, and built up a little more core strength so I had the strength to support myself without putting on the pressure on my hands.
Old 08-27-18, 10:52 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I find the exact angle of my wrists, especially when I am climbing out of the saddle, makes a huge difference. I set up a "new" bike last year with slightly different bars and hoods, but roughly what I have been riding the past 50 years. The bike was set up to be a mountain/gravel fix gear and I did a bunch of very hard riding on it. Started having hand problems, both numbness and pain, more in my right than left. (Not a surprise to me with my injury history.) Measured the heights of the hoods, thinking they might be better off if I slid them down a touch. Well, the right was higher than the left; something I didn't catch when I set the bike up. Slid the right down to match, then both a touch more. Better but now I was still having some issue, both in the drops and on the hoods, so I simply rotated the bars until my hands were happy. Now my other bikes are getting the same treatment. My bikes now do not look "classic"; on several the drops are past horizontal and the hoods are seriously low, but I have no more hand issues.

My advice? Remove the HB tape (except enough electrical tape to keep the cable housings in place). Go for rides with all the brake and stem wrenches (including a 6" crescent so you can actually lever the hex wrench to loosen/tighten the brake hood bolt. Adjust anything that can be moved/adjusted to feel better. Only when you feel you are seriously close, wrap your bars with cloth tape from plug to stem. Cloth because you can wrap and rewrap it repeatedly. More riding. Don't get the nice tape you want until that cloth is shot and you KNOW the bar/hoods are dialed in perfect. (And pay zero attention to the looks. Your wrist don't see and don't care. Numbness is almost always an issue with nerves, either in your wrists or the base of your palms from pressure against the nerves. That pressure can be from direct contact or from nerve proximity to bones so the numbness you feel may not be caused at the place you feel it.

Not a doctor at all. Just a rider who has been riding the dropped handlebar bikes half a century and about a year and a half of my life. That's given me plenty of time to think about this stuff.

Edit: a little coffee and reading the posts above have cleared my head a little. Numbness is, yes, probably lack of blood flow and tingling is pressure on nerves. But, my main point is that both are caused by pressure and both can be from pressure in areas not at the place where the symptoms are felt. And that pressure can be from internal things happening, not just external.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 08-27-18 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-27-18, 10:54 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Get a bike fit and that will help greatly. Certainly a good set of Ergon grips for a flat bar and a nice seat of ergo drop bars with a flat top section ala my favorites the ZIPP Service Course SL-70 Ergos will do some help but if you are in the wrong position on your bike it can make a big difference to comfort. Moving your hands around and maybe doing some hand exercises can also help but again if you bike isn't well fit then you must acquit.
Old 08-27-18, 10:57 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sjtaylor
Having hand numbness issues. Trying different things, including moving the stem up, straight bars with bar ends and drop bars. Any suggestions on how to address this?

Thanks.
Gloves and even that doesn't work all the time.
Old 08-27-18, 11:17 AM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I had numbness in my hands, alleviated some by moving them around. I don't like the suggestion to move the seat back because that starts to screw with where you are over the pedals. I found this video and had an ah ha! moment:
. Changed my bar setup up so my wrist is nice and straight and some wider bars to match my shoulder width better, and no more problems. It slso made long rides less tiring, I guess I was tensed up before. Easy enough to check.
Old 08-27-18, 11:36 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffreythree
I had numbness in my hands, alleviated some by moving them around. I don't like the suggestion to move the seat back because that starts to screw with where you are over the pedals. I found this video and had an ah ha! moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9jq4WBrKOY . Changed my bar setup up so my wrist is nice and straight and some wider bars to match my shoulder width better, and no more problems. It slso made long rides less tiring, I guess I was tensed up before. Easy enough to check.
Interesting - but - what he is espousing is exactly what causes real issues in my hands. I never noticed the symptoms he mentions re: elbows. shoulders, etc. I"ll have to pay more attention next ride. But my hand issues were very real and are now gone. So - sdon't take anyone's advice like it is the word from up high. Listen to your body. It knows.

Ben
Old 08-27-18, 11:42 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Keep in mind that drop bars have changed over the years.

I like "aero bars" that are non-round at the tops. They give a much flatter place to grip the tops of the bars. Plus, they have a tight curve at the top of the drops, so that the brakes come out level with the tops of the bars. They are quite a bit more comfortable than the drops from the 70's and 80's.
Old 08-27-18, 12:57 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Don't overthink this. Forget modifying the bike, modify your grip every now and again. Drop bars are good, because they give you three different positions, and you should change between them regularly. Also, relax the tension in you hands; use your fingertips for the straight bits. Cycle with only one hand on the bars for a while, then swap to the other. Obviously don't do this if the situation demands otherwise, as in heavy traffic, descending a steep hill etc.

See
Old 08-27-18, 01:01 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I've found that it helps to keep changing my hand positions.
"Yahtzee"!
Old 08-28-18, 03:02 AM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Changing hand positions is key. The numbness is usually a nerve compression issue, not blood flow. Hand positions that are perpendicular (straight bars) to the nerve make you more prone to nerve compression issues. That is why drop bars with hands on the hoods (place the weight between the thumb and first finger, thenar) causes less problems than straight bars where the weight is across the palm (perpendicular to nerve). Just my opinion.
Old 08-28-18, 06:05 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts
Well, it is a matter of blood flow within the nerve, but yeah.
Old 08-28-18, 07:30 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
All of the above...but I had one particular set of handlebars that vibrated a lot causing some hand issues. I made a set of bar snakes from vinyl tubing and bb's that cut down/changed the level of vibration making it tolerable. ((Disregard if you are weight conscious))
Old 08-28-18, 12:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
take a hand off the bars occasionally?