Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ebay Dilemma (urgent)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ebay Dilemma (urgent)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-18, 05:53 AM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Some good feedback here. So, full disclosure, mine isn't helpful. This is why I rarely sell anything on eBay. I'm not nice to people like that, and my response would not only include cancelling the sale, but a relatively colorful response which may require a new eBay account.
Old 11-08-18, 07:19 AM
SteelThisBike

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Intenso, Lemond Zurich, Stowe, Trek 930

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If the buyer leaves bad feedback you can answer it, and you should. As a buyer I always check that. If the seller had one or two bad feebacks, with the seller posting a reasonable response, it makes that seller look even better to me. Too many sellers simply buy good feedback. I can also tell you as a seller, I've had some costly things happen to me, with buyers damaging things then claiming I hadn't disclosed damage. The best way to sell on ebay is if you can (mentally, at least) write off the cost of the item should things go south. If you can't, it's better to sell locally. Just my opinion.
Old 11-08-18, 09:25 AM
dwolsten

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 1995 Trek 470

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelThisBike
If the buyer leaves bad feedback you can answer it, and you should. As a buyer I always check that. If the seller had one or two bad feebacks, with the seller posting a reasonable response, it makes that seller look even better to me.
You posting a response doesn't change the numbers: that negative feedback ruins your feedback score (esp. if you had a 100% score beforehand), and your response doesn't do anything to change that. Potential buyers only see your responses if they bother to look for them. It's much easier to just avoid the negative feedback in the first place, by avoiding buyers like this (i.e., this guy should simply cancel the sale, which prevents the buyer from leaving feedback at all).

The feedback score is the most valuable thing to you on Ebay as a seller, much more valuable than the money you might get from a single sale (which can easily be contested by the buyer if he claims the product was misrepresented or something). All your actions should be done with the goal of preserving that feedback score.
Old 11-08-18, 09:50 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by igorek
Sold a saddle to a "nice" individual and I am about to ship it but then I see a message:

"I should have purchased the brand new one for $20 less. Took you two days to ship and I have an expected arrival date of 11/15. You want positive feedback? Then you need to get in the game! Last time I do business with you. This seat better be flawless or it’s coming back to you."

I want to cancel it what recourse do I have here? I already paid for shipping through ebay. Also my description said on delivery "Estimated within 6-9 business days
Includes 5 business days handling time after receipt of cleared payment." and "No returns"
As an EX seller there (high volume Power Seller), I advise you to contact the buyer and offer to cancel the order. Personally I'd offer to cancel it if you haven't sent it, or to send him a return label if he wanted to return it. If you are concerned about feedback left, this one is almost certainly going to be a ding.

As for why this happened, as a general rule you should actually ship on the day that you purchased the shipping. I know, you want him to get that notice that it's "shipped" but if you then DON'T ship, you've already set up his expectations that are going to fail.

Secondly, while you CAN specify "5 business days handling time" that's a terrible idea. 1, a lot of buyers won't read that and 2, almost all buyers are going to expect better performance, and 3, there's no reason for it. Get it in the mail within 1 day of payment at worst. SAME day is the way to do it right.
Old 11-08-18, 10:16 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by dwolsten
The feedback score is the most valuable thing to you on Ebay as a seller, much more valuable than the money you might get from a single sale (which can easily be contested by the buyer if he claims the product was misrepresented or something). All your actions should be done with the goal of preserving that feedback score.
Negative feedback falls off after a year, it is not as important as it was 15 years ago. It is rare to see any seller below 90%, or even 95%, unless they are a high volume seller. I'm not scared to take negative feedback, but have only done it once in the last 15 years due to refusing a return when the buyer clearly didn't read the description.

In OP's case, I would of just cancelled the transaction, especially if he hadn't shipped yet.
Old 11-08-18, 11:15 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
Negative feedback falls off after a year, it is not as important as it was 15 years ago. It is rare to see any seller below 90%, or even 95%, unless they are a high volume seller. I'm not scared to take negative feedback, but have only done it once in the last 15 years due to refusing a return when the buyer clearly didn't read the description.....
That's good policy, generally accepting returns. I went the whole way with it, a "No Questions" return policy because it eliminates all of the back and forth, deciding on valid returns, all arguments, and having to track all that sort of thing. I know that most people see that as extreme but time saved more than made up for any extra returns. I only rejected a very few people who made a habit of buying 5 times as much as they wanted just to compare and returning most of it.

I don't think that impacts OP's main problem though since his buyer is going to be a pain if he wants to return the item regardless of OP's stated policy.
Old 11-08-18, 02:27 PM
dwolsten

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 1995 Trek 470

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
Negative feedback falls off after a year, it is not as important as it was 15 years ago. It is rare to see any seller below 90%, or even 95%, unless they are a high volume seller.
Yes, but because of this, when I'm buying, a feedback score of less than 95% looks very bad to me and I avoid such sellers. In other words, the bar has been raised (or, you could say, the numerical score considered "good" is different now). So, IMO, nothing has really changed except what number passes for "good". Feedback is still important to me as a buyer, and sellers with 100% feedback scores are more likely to get my business.
Old 11-08-18, 02:39 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by dwolsten
Yes, but because of this, when I'm buying, a feedback score of less than 95% looks very bad to me and I avoid such sellers. In other words, the bar has been raised (or, you could say, the numerical score considered "good" is different now). So, IMO, nothing has really changed except what number passes for "good". Feedback is still important to me as a buyer, and sellers with 100% feedback scores are more likely to get my business.
Not a lot of people know this and I doubt it affects much business. I only sell about ~$2k a year and didn't notice any difference when I had 1 negative mark, but my feedback was still 98%. I only use eBay to get rid of old stuff, it is easier than having a garage sale.
Old 11-09-18, 12:44 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
............. I already paid for shipping through ebay..............Thank you.
You can cancel your shipping label through Ebay

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-09-18, 01:03 PM
lkoyanagi

Bikes: Tern D7e

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess eBay. Am I right?
Hes a shopper. Send it. No remourse. Dont accept returns in the future. Its his butt, not yours. Hes putting his stupidity on you.
Old 11-09-18, 01:13 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
New to eBay selling?

It doesn't matter about your posted return policy. The buyer has lots of power. They can get a full refund regardless and waste your time and shipping costs.

If not yet shipped, issue a full refund and get a shipping refund from USPS or fromFedEx.
Ditto. If you haven't shipped yet you can request a refund on the shipping. You can't please everyone. And because you don't accept returns, he gets to keep it even if ebay gives him a refund of your money. DO NOT SHIP!
Old 11-09-18, 03:03 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by lkoyanagi
Hes a shopper. Send it. No remourse. Dont accept returns in the future. Its his butt, not yours. Hes putting his stupidity on you.
I'm not the OP, so nothing is one me.

My point to the OP was that eBay's rules may limit/prescribe his available "recourse," so he should start there. No sense in people giving him options which may be not available to him.

If someone came to me and asked "I think my former employer calculated my pension incorrectly. What is my recourse." I would be remiss in telling him to file suit right away because pension law requires an aggrieved pensioner to first follow the pension plan's administrative remedies procedure. File suit without first doing that and the suit will, except in extremely rare instances, be summarily thrown out.

Last edited by indyfabz; 11-09-18 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-09-18, 07:00 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Igorek,

So what did you do?
Old 11-11-18, 07:26 PM
igorek

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Igorek,

So what did you do?
I sent him a message and he didn't reply so the next day (11/07/18) I refunded then blocked him.

Now how to figure out to make Ebay not charge me for this transaction?
Old 11-11-18, 10:19 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
There will be a $0.30 eBay listing charge.
Old 11-11-18, 10:31 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I sent him a message and he didn't reply so the next day (11/07/18) I refunded then blocked him.

Now how to figure out to make Ebay not charge me for this transaction?
You have to cancel the transaction to avoid the charge, which may be hard since you've already refunded the money.
Old 11-12-18, 12:37 PM
ak08820

Bikes: MGX MTB, Fuji Supreme, Miyata 90 and a Trek 700 in the works

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Be polite and allow buyer to cancel. Buyer sounds irrational. Not worth the hassle.

I think you can get the shipping cost you've already paid refunded.

edit: do all communications through ebay messaging. Frame the communication as you are offering the buyer a chance to cancel transaction.
Exactly what I was going to say. In addition, you could cancel it too, indicating item not available - no reason needed.
Wonder why he bought it for $20 more than new one and why you priced it like that, too.
Old 11-12-18, 01:05 PM
egibson

Bikes: Salsa Cutthroat Force 1, Borealis Echo Eagle GX, Cervelo Soloist w/ Campy Record Carbon 10sp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree here that eBay give all the power to buyer's even when they may be bad buyers. It's time to take back the power! I recommend you eat a big bowl of chilli and then a few hours later take a dump in a box and ship that to this ****TY buyer! Now that's what I call flawless

Ok - back to reality - I can confirm that you can cancel the shipping label online through ebay - have had to do that many times.

Good luck
Old 11-12-18, 01:40 PM
nextSibling

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Don't offer to cancel the sale. Cancel it - no negotiation necessary. Then block the buyer. Then go on with your life. Not worth giving toxic people any more brain space than you have to.
Old 11-12-18, 02:14 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ak08820
Exactly what I was going to say. In addition, you could cancel it too, indicating item not available - no reason needed.
Wonder why he bought it for $20 more than new one and why you priced it like that, too.
Everyone is bashing on him for pricing it for $20 more than new, without considering that the new for $20 less may have been a one-off eBay listing that popped up after he created his, may have been a sale from some obscure online store that took the guy an hour to find, or may have been something completely different than what he was actually offering for sale that just looked like the item our poster was listing.
Old 11-12-18, 02:38 PM
ak08820

Bikes: MGX MTB, Fuji Supreme, Miyata 90 and a Trek 700 in the works

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Didn't know that asking for a clarification is now called bashing.
Old 11-12-18, 03:39 PM
chazlock
steel bike mavon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ebay

Lots of scammers on eBay. Some wait til you ship and then cancel. Lose your item and eBay takes your money away
Old 11-12-18, 06:20 PM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
When eBay started out, they were referred to as "America's Garage Sale." As they matured, they made a transition to being more of an online retail platform. What that means for the small scale individual seller is that you get to experience all the joys of being a retailer, including having to "eat" the occasional bad sale. This is what consumers expect from all retailers nowadays. It's great if you're Home Depot or WalMart, but kind of sucks if you're an individual trying to hold an online garage sale and expecting it to work like a garage sale.

This isn't to blame the OP in any way. It's just my observation of the business.
Old 11-13-18, 06:08 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
See if the little fockers get anything for sale himself on e-bay and bid it to the roof ... he'll be really pleased with the price he's got at the end of the auction and then do the same to him .... or buy it and return a brick as goods not as described :-)

Sounds like scum ... could do with a taste of his own medicine