Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It's not the bike, it's the rider.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

It's not the bike, it's the rider.

Old 04-09-19, 01:57 PM
BKE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I think you missed roughly the entire point of the thread.

(Even the awesome ghost stories)
I was wondering if I was the only one thinking this. A couple posts in and it went to a I/ME thing.
It's about "Fred" who is definately out there.
Old 04-09-19, 02:03 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
If you keep those intros short and sweet more people will read it. There's plenty of space/time to wax philosophical once you've got them hooked. Just a suggestion.
Old 04-09-19, 05:32 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by BKE
I was wondering if I was the only one thinking this. A couple posts in and it went to a I/ME thing.
It's about "Fred" who is definately out there.
If you want to read about a REAL FRED, read the following. Scroll down to page 11. p.s.- On page 15 you will read about Richard Schwinn's meeting with Freddie and how Waterford winds up sponsoring him and building his bike. p.p.s.- Freddie presented a beautiful plaque with a set of his 50,000 mile chain rings to my wife and myself in July 1986 before we moved to Florida.

https://manfromallouez.files.wordpre...diehoffman.pdf

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 04-09-19 at 05:38 PM.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 04-15-19, 12:25 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
I am striving to become one of those older guys - 58 years old and back into biking since July last year. I've lost 55 lbs so far. The secret is either retirement or having a job (Consulting in my case) that frees up time for riding .
Old 04-16-19, 07:54 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,932 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I am disappointed. I came in to this topic expecting to hear cruising mid 20's and climbing at 18+.

Pretty sure the middle school gang of boys that cruises the greenway behind my house looking for fun/trouble goes that fast.

I'm out.
Good for you, power legs.

There's a crossfit class letting out somewhere that might want to compare workout stats with you. You guys have fun.
LOL, well in @burnthesheep defense. I'm with him and I'm not the fastest around, just another old, fat man. But a typical normal daily ride is 25-27 miles over varying grades with an easy avg pace of 18 mph and a hard pace that'll sneak over 20 mph. Yet I get passed often enough around here. I'd not consider the mentioned speeds by the OP that fast either. Not meaning to offend, just being honest. Still great story and one we've all experienced and can relate too. It really doesn't matter the speed. There's always someone faster.
Old 04-16-19, 09:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
LOL, well in @burnthesheep defense. I'm with him and I'm not the fastest around, just another old, fat man. But a typical normal daily ride is 25-27 miles over varying grades with an easy avg pace of 18 mph and a hard pace that'll sneak over 20 mph. Yet I get passed often enough around here. I'd not consider the mentioned speeds by the OP that fast either. Not meaning to offend, just being honest. Still great story and one we've all experienced and can relate too. It really doesn't matter the speed. There's always someone faster.

Yeah, that's really not a defense. If someone is being frank about their speed, there's no reason to post the "I'm too fast to care about your story" snark.

The only reason I'd put down someone for their numbers is if they were condescending to me or someone else and my numbers were better. That's just begging for it.
Old 04-16-19, 10:08 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,932 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Yeah, that's really not a defense. If someone is being frank about their speed, there's no reason to post the "I'm too fast to care about your story" snark.

The only reason I'd put down someone for their numbers is if they were condescending to me or someone else and my numbers were better. That's just begging for it.
As long as folks are out riding nothing else really matters. Certainly not getting offended by anything said on any of these silly internet forums, LOL!
Old 04-16-19, 10:19 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I still think about this incident. I still can't explain it.

I'm sure there is some logical explanation for it but I can't figure it out.
The boy is one of an identical set of triplets?
Old 04-16-19, 10:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by jamesdak
As long as folks are out riding nothing else really matters. Certainly not getting offended by anything said on any of these silly internet forums, LOL!

I thought @Skipjacks handled it really well--called out the jerkiness in a really funny way.
Old 04-16-19, 11:55 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I thought @Skipjacks handled it really well--called out the jerkiness in a really funny way.
Not to mention BurnTheSheep then responded comically and helped me make fun of crossfit vegans and it was a joyous shared experience.
Old 04-16-19, 12:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Not to mention BurnTheSheep then responded comically and helped me make fun of crossfit vegans and it was a joyous shared experience.
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that part--I laughed so hard I nearly choked on my single-activity-program beefsteak.
Old 04-19-19, 08:07 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Too much LSD during your college years?
Must be.
Old 04-19-19, 08:40 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
I ride with the Detroit Randonneurs for some of their "shorter" rides. It's amazing how these guys that are 20+ years older than me are able to put up such quick paces and keep it there for 120+ miles. Many of them in the upper 50's and in their 60's. I'm no where near their level, and probably never will be.
Most recreational riders are operating so far below their athletic potential, that age is not much of a factor until quite late in life. Injuries and disease aside, sustaining speed and endurance levels through your 50's is not really remarkable. Endurance events like randonneuring are so much mental, that age even has its benefits.

The notion that people in their 50's and 60's and beyond are unathletic comes from observing the vast majority of people - who have been sedentary for 50 and 60 years.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-19-19, 09:42 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Most recreational riders are operating so far below their athletic potential, that age is not much of a factor until quite late in life. Injuries and disease aside, sustaining speed and endurance levels through your 50's is not really remarkable. Endurance events like randonneuring are so much mental, that age even has its benefits.

The notion that people in their 50's and 60's and beyond are unathletic comes from observing the vast majority of people - who have been sedentary for 50 and 60 years.
Well put.
Old 04-19-19, 09:51 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Somebody needs to do a study: An elite level pro rider on a cheap Wall Mart bike vs an amateur weekend warrior on a $ 10 000 high performance bike.
Old 04-19-19, 09:51 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by downtube42

For those of us who haven't reached our 50's or 60's yet, this is all VERY uplifting to know that we don't have to slow down just because we get older (disease and injury aside)

That's why I love seeing anyone older than me out there on the trails tearing it up. It reminds me not to be scared about getting older and to just keep enjoying the rides!
Old 04-19-19, 09:55 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Somebody needs to do a study: An elite level pro rider on a cheap Wall Mart bike vs an amateur weekend warrior on a $ 10 000 high performance bike.
My money is on the elite pro rider every single time. Especially if the test is over distance rather than sprinting speed.

The amateur might be able to out sprint the professional for a higher top speed due to the bike over a distance of less than a mile.
But over 10+ miles the pro is going to pass him.
Over 50+ miles it wouldn't even be a contest.

None of this is scientific, of course. But if I had to wager my hard earned money, that is how I'd place the bet.
Old 04-19-19, 10:09 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
To make it realistic, the Walmart bike should have the fork on backwards, 15 psi in the back tire, and loose seat clamp bolts.
Old 04-19-19, 10:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Most amusing thing I learned this weekend is that the Walton family owns Rapha. I realize this might be old news to people who care about such things, but the irony of the snobbiest bike clothes brand basically being part of the Walmart empire cracked me up.
Old 04-19-19, 11:14 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
That's why I love seeing anyone older than me out there on the trails tearing it up. It reminds me not to be scared about getting older and to just keep enjoying the rides!
Believe it or not, many, if not most cyclists of all ages recognize that it is possible to enjoy their bicycle rides without "tearing it up", or being concerned at all about their speed relative to strangers, or how many other riders they do or don't pass.
Old 04-19-19, 11:17 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Most amusing thing I learned this weekend is that the Walton family owns Rapha. I realize this might be old news to people who care about such things, but the irony of the snobbiest bike clothes brand basically being part of the Walmart empire cracked me up.
The Walton family has a financial interest in Ralpha =True.
Ralpha basically being part of the Walmart empire = False.
Old 04-19-19, 11:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The Walton family has a financial interest in Ralpha =True.
Ralpha basically being part of the Walmart empire = False.

I suppose the boys bought the company with money they raised doing chores, then.

It's not just an interest, it's the majority interest, and "basically" and "empire" are not exactly precise legal terms.
It's certainly Walmart-adjacent, enough so the snobs' love of it is ironic.
Old 04-19-19, 01:55 PM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Believe it or not, many, if not most cyclists of all ages recognize that it is possible to enjoy their bicycle rides without "tearing it up", or being concerned at all about their speed relative to strangers, or how many other riders they do or don't pass.
Are you actually upset that I complimented the specific group of people age 50-69 who ride fast, but didn't equally compliment anyone age 1-49 and 70-120 or anyone who enjoy riding in different manners?

Like...for real?

Last edited by Skipjacks; 04-19-19 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-19-19, 02:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Are you actually upset that I complimented the specific group of people age 50-69 who ride fast, but didn't equally compliment anyone age 1-49 and 70-120 or anyone who enjoy riding in different manners?

Like...for real?

He definitely likes to kvetch more than he likes to bike.
Old 04-19-19, 02:45 PM
Skipjacks

He definitely likes to kvetch more than he likes to bike.
Everybody needs a hobby.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.