Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tracking you during ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tracking you during ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-18, 12:25 PM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
My lezyne micro gps has tracking. It sends my wife an email whenever I start a ride, and links her to a website with my location and where I've been. She mostly uses it to see roughly when I'm going to be home from work or, if out on a ride, I'll be home roughly around when I said I would be. It's handy in case I have a mechanical so she can find me and retrieve me.
Old 10-09-18, 12:34 PM
Munk69

Bikes: Ridley Helium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
LIfe360 - Free app on the app store.
Old 10-10-18, 04:59 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Well I got an answer. I ask my wife and she said well you just carry iPhone anyhow so if you need something call.
one thing to consider with apps like RoadID is that they will send a message for the situations when you can't call. After 5 minutes it will warn you and then send a message if you don't take action. I find that comforting being that most of my rides are away from crowded areas.
Old 10-11-18, 09:23 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
If you have an Android phone with the GPS turned on, you can share your location from the Google account on your phone to another Google account. (I've shared my location with my significant other, though I don't think it's ever been checked.)

It does, however, require a data connection to share location - so not great if you're riding in rural areas without service.
Old 10-15-18, 10:35 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
For a recent real-life example of the topic being discussed here please refer to: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/steven-de-jongh-found-after-being-reported-missing/
Old 10-16-18, 12:10 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
MapMyRide app has live tracking.
Old 10-19-18, 12:31 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryVee
First time I rode with Element Bolt and Wahoo App tracking, my wife opened the door for me on my return.
I use the same. It's quite handy if we need to time something for when I get home.
Old 10-19-18, 01:49 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
For a recent real-life example of the topic being discussed here please refer to: Steven De Jongh found after being reported missing | Cyclingnews.com
Not clear from the article if he had Beacon or some such on or somehow the ride uploaded automatically (or perhaps someone followed the mantra below).

Old 07-08-19, 10:55 PM
armybikerider

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Chris Bishop custom steel road bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've got really poor cell phone connectivity here in rural North Texas.

What are the options for live tracking that don't rely on smartphones?
Old 07-08-19, 11:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
@armybikerider If you want to be tracked in real time without cellular, that leaves satellite. Garmin bought into that market, I think it's still called in reach. It's expensive. SPOT might be another option.
Old 07-09-19, 05:35 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
I know little about them, but the 'SPOT services and devices' ( https://www.findmespot.com/en/ ) might offer a solution here. I guess if you have crappy cell service, then you probably don't have easy access to REI. But they are a retailer from what I know.

dave
Old 07-09-19, 09:52 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
As has been mentioned, Wahoo has a tracking feature that for me has been absolutely flawless. My wife can follow me on every ride--no questions asked, and I can easily get 12 hours out of the battery. My experience with Garmin over about 6 years was not nearly as reliable. YMMV
Old 07-09-19, 10:25 AM
armybikerider

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So that means that Garmin devices like their bike computers, smart watches and Vivo fitness bands all transmit over cell networks when using the Garmin Connect or Live Track feature??
Old 07-09-19, 10:31 AM
armybikerider

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
As has been mentioned, Wahoo has a tracking feature that for me has been absolutely flawless. My wife can follow me on every ride--no questions asked, and I can easily get 12 hours out of the battery. My experience with Garmin over about 6 years was not nearly as reliable. YMMV
I looked at the Elemnt computers but don't they have to be paired with a smartphone?
Old 07-09-19, 10:58 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by armybikerider
So that means that Garmin devices like their bike computers, smart watches and Vivo fitness bands all transmit over cell networks when using the Garmin Connect or Live Track feature??
Except for the in reach, they all go through your phone. So does Wahoo. That works well for most people.
Old 07-09-19, 11:05 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts

What are the options for live tracking that don't rely on smartphones?
SPOT or Garmin InReach are the two best options I've seen for tracking that doesn't go through cell phone networks.

SPOT has some terrible user reviews with their latest generation though. I think the Tour Divide folks might be using InReach.
Old 07-09-19, 11:45 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Spot and Inreach require a subscription. Expensive at that too. I've been researching satellite communicators recently for backcountry hiking trips, and I've "settled" on the Garmin. No fan of Garmin, but it seems Spot is even worse. I also have a PLB, but it doesn't allow for 2-way communication. The inreach mini is super tiny too, so it would be better for cycling. But again, expensive up front, and expensive subscriptions for each, although if you used it every day on the bike, it might make it worthwhile.
Old 07-09-19, 12:31 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Honestly... just do live location sharing on iMessage or WhatsApp (in case one of you doesn't have an iphone).

Much easier on battery than anything bluetooth connected.
Old 07-09-19, 01:25 PM
ksryder

Originally Posted by nycphotography
Honestly... just do live location sharing on iMessage or WhatsApp (in case one of you doesn't have an iphone).
Probably because:
Old 07-09-19, 02:02 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Wahoo Fitness does a much better job because it shows, in a map, where you've been and how fast you're traveling. If you are riding a downloaded route it also shows where you're headed. I don't have any battery issues with the iPhone and have ridden two centuries with Wahoo Fitness Tracking enabled.

WF obviously depends on an internet connection to work. Even without it, the system will report your last known location (when there was a signal).

Much easier on battery than anything bluetooth connected.

Last edited by Robert A; 07-09-19 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-09-19, 08:36 PM
armybikerider

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
SPOT or Garmin InReach are the two best options I've seen for tracking that doesn't go through cell phone networks.

SPOT has some terrible user reviews with their latest generation though. I think the Tour Divide folks might be using InReach.
Thanks.

So given that I HAVE CRAPPY CELL PHONE SERVICE my choices are very limited, Guess I'll have to choose another method. I think she'll be happy with something....it's better than nothing in her eyes.
Old 07-09-19, 09:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by cthenn
Spot and Inreach require a subscription. Expensive at that too. I've been researching satellite communicators recently for backcountry hiking trips, and I've "settled" on the Garmin. No fan of Garmin, but it seems Spot is even worse. I also have a PLB, but it doesn't allow for 2-way communication. The inreach mini is super tiny too, so it would be better for cycling. But again, expensive up front, and expensive subscriptions for each, although if you used it every day on the bike, it might make it worthwhile.
I would love to hear your thoughts and experience when you get back from backpacking. (Or have you already?)

My PLB is 5 years old, they change something like $150 to replace the battery. Haven't decided what I'm going to do, but 2 way communication sounds nice.
Old 07-10-19, 02:12 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Thanks.

So given that I HAVE CRAPPY CELL PHONE SERVICE my choices are very limited, Guess I'll have to choose another method. I think she'll be happy with something....it's better than nothing in her eyes.

You need cell service for ANY method to update (Unless you have one of those iridium sat phones ha!)

WhatsApp, iMessage or Google maps live location will update whenever it gets service. not sure what the problem is with that.
Old 07-10-19, 02:23 PM
ksryder

You need cell service for ANY method to update (Unless you have one of those iridium sat phones ha!)

WhatsApp, iMessage or Google maps live location will update whenever it gets service. not sure what the problem is with that.
I'm not sure how to make this any more plain: the Garmin Inreach and SPOT trackers do not depend on cellular network coverage.

And this may be hard for someone in NYC to comprehend but there are, in fact, many, many places in this country where cellular coverage is not universal and waiting for hours to get back into network range to update is not an ideal solution for some people. That is the problem with that.
Old 07-10-19, 02:47 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts

The problem with that is if you have been out of cell coverage for a half hour, crash, and you are unconscious on the side of the road (unseen), your tracking has very little value.

Dave
Likes For DaveLeeNC:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.