Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike Regulations in Europe

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike Regulations in Europe

Old 07-24-19, 04:41 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
CatEye offered an AA-powered tail lamp/reflector, the TL-LD500, for years but doesn't seem to catalog it anymore (but still available on ebay!)
That light is AAA.
Old 07-25-19, 09:51 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I use a blinking red light all the time, and in the winter low light conditions a strobe front light. As a driver as well as a rider I've never seen a commuter or touring cyclist with a blinking red light and thought: 'Obnoxious'.

And, as a driver I actually appreciate someone who uses them. It says to me they take ownership of, and care a little bit about their own safety and are probably not going to pull bone headed stunts like darting across lanes or ride the wrong way up a street.

Seems of all the things one encounters on the road; taxis honking, semis festooned with lights using compression brakes, LED headlights, turn signals, fog lights, coal rolling 4x4's, loud Harleys, throaty fast and furious mufflers, vinyl wrapped busses, loud stereos, Rv busses pulling cars... a little blinky light is pretty low on the list of irritants.
Old 07-25-19, 11:34 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5989 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I use a blinking red light all the time, and in the winter low light conditions a strobe front light. As a driver as well as a rider I've never seen a commuter or touring cyclist with a blinking red light and thought: 'Obnoxious'.

And, as a driver I actually appreciate someone who uses them. It says to me they take ownership of, and care a little bit about their own safety and are probably not going to pull bone headed stunts like darting across lanes or ride the wrong way up a street.
If there's more than one cyclist it really gets difficult to keep an overview and estimate speed and distance of all the cyclists. Even if it should be safer for you, it wouldn't be safer for cyclists in general. It's a very individual approach to have blinking lights, a bit like you don't have to outrun the lion, you just have to outrun the other guy. Both the number of cyclists and the collective approach is European I guess.

Same with bells. Yes you can shout, but if everybody just uses a bell then everybody knows what to expect when they hear that sound and it allows for estimating speed and distance without turning the head to watch. They also don't have to watch what all that shouting is about.
Old 07-25-19, 12:14 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I've commuted on a paved trail with two-way traffic, and those front strobe lights are extremely obnoxious and rude to oncoming walkers, runners, and other cyclists. Many cyclists now use them year-round at all hours of the day.
Old 07-25-19, 12:19 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by Stadjer
If there's more than one cyclist it really gets difficult to keep an overview and estimate speed and distance of all the cyclists. Even if it should be safer for you, it wouldn't be safer for cyclists in general. It's a very individual approach to have blinking lights, a bit like you don't have to outrun the lion, you just have to outrun the other guy. Both the number of cyclists and the collective approach is European I guess.

Same with bells. Yes you can shout, but if everybody just uses a bell then everybody knows what to expect when they hear that sound and it allows for estimating speed and distance without turning the head to watch. They also don't have to watch what all that shouting is about.
Well, I agree that on a street crowded with cyclists or a MUP a blinky light would be overkill as there is not the same need to catch a random drivers attention, and that is probably why they are not allowed in cyclocentric countries in Europe. but this is the touring section and for the most part cyclists here are traveling solo or with one or two others on non cycle specific routes.

In my region cycling is seasonal at best for a few and far fewer do it year around or as a mode of transportation. Overwhelmingly it is a very occasional bicycle in a sea of cars and trucks, all of which have brighter front and rear lights and blinkers for turn signals. besides turn signals that blink specifically to catch attention look at the brightness of brake lights that also amplify to catch attention when a change in speed relative to other cars occurs. A bicycle is almost always traveling at a different speed relative to a car so the blinking light acts to catch attention in the same way a signal or brake light does.

More and more motorcycles now have blinking daytime headlights for much the same reason.
Old 07-25-19, 12:21 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by axolotl
I've commuted on a paved trail with two-way traffic, and those front strobe lights are extremely obnoxious and rude to oncoming walkers, runners, and other cyclists. Many cyclists now use them year-round at all hours of the day.
Why would someone use a strobe on a mup? It's like saying I find car horns obnoxious because someone lays on it past the hospital zone.

You guys crack me up.
Old 07-25-19, 12:32 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Why would someone use a strobe on a mup? It's like saying I find car horns obnoxious because someone lays on it past the hospital zone.

You guys crack me up.
Why would someone use a strobe on a trail? Because they're the most important person in the world, of course. Unfortunately, it's extremely common behavior on popular trails in my area.

BTW, your horn comment is a non-sequitur.
Old 07-25-19, 01:17 PM
Happy Feet

People who think they are the most important people in the world must be very annoying to those who think they are actually the most important people.

I could say I don't like people who drive with the 4 way flashers on.. in a parking lot. Or people who use their high beams.. on city streets, or people who use studded snow tires.. in the summer. None of those things makes the objects in question obnoxious though, just the mis-application.
Old 07-25-19, 01:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
If there is a good shoulder I'll take 60 mph over 70 mph with little or no shoulder when there are logging trucks, giant pickups with wide mirrors and Class A motorhomes passing you oh so closely. Parts of U.S. 93 between Eureka and Whitefish, MT during a busy period will teach you the meaning of fear.

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-25-19 at 01:42 PM.