Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Which entry level bike for city commute?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 08-07-19, 08:24 PM
FunCommuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

So I commuted to my new job for the first time yesterday on my 12 year old Trek MB. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was raining at the end of the day so I took a ride home with a coworker. Last night it was stolen out of a car repo impound lot where it was chained between two large trucks. They cut through the fence and stole it and a motorcycle.

I had planned to save for a few months and
purchase a bike in the $1000-$1500 range, but now
I have to buy a bike so I don’t have to drive to work.
I’m trying to decide between (1) Specialized Sirrus V Brake, (2) Giant Escape 2020 or (3) Trek FX1. I realized it seems like a troll post as obviously everyone will have differing opinions, but I just want to get a general consensus and hear about experiences with these bikes.

I am leaning toward the Sirrus V Brake. I saw one in an LGS today in Flat Black. I really want a Giant Escape City Disc, but can’t swing it right now. I thought maybe get an Escape and add the rack and fenders later if possible.

Anyway I will appreciate any and all suggestions or hearing about experiences with said bikes.

Oh, I was given a 2001 Cannondale R600 today. I can’t commute with it though for a few reasons. One being the rear wheel is slightly warped. I plan to replace it later and ride it for exercise
Old 08-07-19, 09:31 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Some bike shops in my locale have used wheels. You might have your new commuter! Or, the tech might tell you that the wheel can be fixed. Otherwise, if you're in a higher crime area, then a fancy new bike might not be the best idea. An old rigid MTB with smooth tires actually makes a great commuter. Most of them have ample clearance for fenders, which helps a lot with the rain situation. The dang thing is that all of the bikes you mention are good. It might come down to which bike fits you the best and is the most comfortable to ride.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 08-07-19, 11:59 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Out of those I'd pick the Specialized because it has a freehub. Your other thread says you're in Lexington, Kentucky. There are enough bikes to look at on your local Craigslist although the sellers appear to be optimists... especially the guy with the $450 Peugeot. What size are you? Would you rather have another MTB if you could?
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-08-19 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-08-19, 04:04 AM
FunCommuter

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Some bike shops in my locale have used wheels. You might have your new commuter! Or, the tech might tell you that the wheel can be fixed. Otherwise, if you're in a higher crime area, then a fancy new bike might not be the best idea. An old rigid MTB with smooth tires actually makes a great commuter. Most of them have ample clearance for fenders, which helps a lot with the rain situation. The dang thing is that all of the bikes you mention are good. It might come down to which bike fits you the best and is the most comfortable to ride.
Thanks. I’ll check around for a used wheel. I don’t think I’ll commute with the racing bike because there are too many curbs to hop in my commute. Also the forward riding position doesn’t bode well with the way I’m carrying my lunchbox right now.
Im not in a necessarily high crime area, just unlucky.
I do want to get the R600 in tip top shape eventually though.
Old 08-08-19, 04:12 AM
FunCommuter

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Out of those I'd pick the Specialized because it has a freehub. Your other thread says you're in Lexington, Kentucky. There are enough bikes to look at on your local Craigslist although the sellers appear to be optimists... especially the guy with the $450 Peugeot. What size are you? Would you rather have another MTB if you could?
I actually peruse the local classifieds for used bicycles a lot. I recently bought a like new entry level Trek medium sized bike for my nephew for $50. I have been looking on FB marketplace, Let Go and OfferUp. I kinda forgot Craigslist still existed. That’s how I got my last Trek MB that was stolen.
I need to take another look on there.
I am 5’9” BTW. I would ideally like a MB with a front fork, but with city tires if that makes sense, but would take a used MB for a decent price.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-08-19, 04:55 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
If you're just wanting an urban commuter, I'd reconsider the insistence on front forks. Low-end front forks, like what come on low-end bikes, tend to be poor performing junk, add lots of weight, can be maintenance headaches, and eventually turn into, "good money after bad". And if you ever decide you just want to scrap them and go with a rigid fork, the bike's geometry was designed for that extra height, so you're kinda committed to front forks, and looking at buying another (presumably) low-end fork.
But, a used mtn bike from Craigslist is a good option, and road-freindly tires aren't hard to find (though 29ers seem to always be pretty expensive, from what I've seen. Seems like it's easier to find deals on 26" tires.)
Old 08-08-19, 05:59 AM
FunCommuter

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
If you're just wanting an urban commuter, I'd reconsider the insistence on front forks. Low-end front forks, like what come on low-end bikes, tend to be poor performing junk, add lots of weight, can be maintenance headaches, and eventually turn into, "good money after bad". And if you ever decide you just want to scrap them and go with a rigid fork, the bike's geometry was designed for that extra height, so you're kinda committed to front forks, and looking at buying another (presumably) low-end fork.
But, a used mtn bike from Craigslist is a good option, and road-freindly tires aren't hard to find (though 29ers seem to always be pretty expensive, from what I've seen. Seems like it's easier to find deals on 26" tires.)
Thanks. Good info.
Old 08-08-19, 10:21 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I disagree... I think the spring-only forks on inexpensive bikes are pretty harmless and even good if you're having fun with the bike. They absorb a small hit or land a wheelie just fine. My 1990-ish high school MTB came to a grisly end with a bent fork, and with a cheap spring fork, it wouldn't have. The bike I had 2002-2016 had a cheap fork. It wasn't light but far short of being a maintenance headache, it never required any maintenance at all. Still, better is better... I've had a few bikes now with "real" suspension forks and I'm spoiled.
Old 08-09-19, 12:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7342 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 1,426 Posts
Those bikes seem equivalent, but @Darth Lefty says one of them has a freehub. I agree that it's the best, because a freehub is more durable and reliable than a wheel with a thread-on freewheel.

Sorry about your theft! That's nasty.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-09-19, 02:45 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I see enough decent medium bikes on your local Craigslist that you could be up and running again for $100-200 and still save up for that special bike you really want. Just avoid anything too big or small, that looks beat or came from a department store, you will be fine.
Old 08-13-19, 02:07 AM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

I made an awesome commuter for about $250 by converting a 90s mountain bike. I switched the fork to rigid, went with Panaracer T-Serve tires, put on a light seat with carbon post and new pedals, added a rack and ended up with a killer, lightweight (26# with the rack) commuter for chump change. I love it.

Last edited by audiomagnate; 08-13-19 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-13-19, 03:58 AM
FunCommuter

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Changed jobs

So I changed jobs. I went back to my old job which is only 3/8 mile away. Funny thing, my favorite part of the job I just left was the 3.3 mile (one way) commute through the city. Anyway I’m still looking for an entry level bike. I still haven’t decided. I spent a couple hours yesterday calling different bike shops seeing what was available.
It’s a hard decision. I’m still deciding between a Trek Verve disk, Trek DS1, Trek FX1 disc or a Specialized Sirrus Disc (changed from the Sirrus V Brake not because of the brakes , but the lighter frame). I think ideally for me a Trek DS1 is the ticket 🎫and change the tires for skinnier ones.
Just this morning I found a Giant Escape 3 on Craigslist for a decent price ($150). I messaged an offer for $100. We’ll see.
Oh and I bought a well used (no front brake) Trek 7200 FX for $50 for the time being. The seat is the most uncomfortable seat I’ve ever sat on and the pedals feel “funny”, but I like the smooth ride the street tires afford. It made me realize that riding a MB on city streets was the equivalent of driving a pickup with mud tires on the street everyday (dumb).
I ordered a new bike lock too.
Old 08-13-19, 06:19 AM
FunCommuter

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Any thoughts on the Marin San Rafael DS1?
Old 08-13-19, 07:38 AM
FunCommuter

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I see enough decent medium bikes on your local Craigslist that you could be up and running again for $100-200 and still save up for that special bike you really want. Just avoid anything too big or small, that looks beat or came from a department store, you will be fine.
The only one I saw was a Giant Escape 3 for $150 which looks like a good deal, but the bike is just has an “uninspiring” look to it. Now that I don’t actually get to commute to work I’m looking for a more aggressive design, something more on the MB side of the Hybrid scale. I might buy the escape anyway though.
Old 08-13-19, 12:46 PM
FunCommuter

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Test rides

So far t
oday I have test ridden a Giant Escape 2 and Specialized Sirrus disc. Now I’m off to the Trek store. So far I really like the Giant Escape 2, but if I decide on it I have to have them order the Version with hydraulic disc brakes for only $50 more than the v brake version.
Old 08-13-19, 04:03 PM
FunCommuter

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I decided.

So after test riding a Specialized Sirrus, Giant Escape 2 Disc, Giant Roam 3 2019, Trek DS2, Trek FX2 and a Trek Verve Disc I ended up with the Giant Roam 3. The two giant bikes felt by far the best to me. I liked the wider handlebars and the overall ridding position. They just felt faster. I liked the looks of the Sirrus the best and probably liked the looks of the Giant Roam the least, but that’s what I wanted. Oh and it was on sale for $429.
Likes For FunCommuter:
Old 08-15-19, 03:28 PM
CrewFan

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo, Breezer Liberty r 1.3+, Fuji Absolute 2.1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice looking bike! Hope the commuting goes smoothly!
Old 08-25-19, 05:44 PM
BikeTall

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

My Giant Escape 2. Daily commuter & touring rig.
I am a biased Giant rider, but I cannot recommend the Giant Escape enough. I have been riding the Giant Escape 2 as my daily commuter here in NYC since 2013 and it’s still going strong. I added a back rack & panniers for touring and carrying work clothes. Works great. For me, the Giant Escape 2 is the best bang for the buck if you are looking for a versatile daily commuter. It’s fast & comfy. I love mine.
Old 08-25-19, 05:49 PM
BikeTall

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Oh...i see the original poster ended up buying the Giant Roam. Sweet. I am sure the front suspension will help in the commute when going over curbs & potholes! You can’t go wrong with Giant. Happy riding!
Old 09-06-19, 05:49 AM
FunCommuter

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I absolutely love my Roam 2. I’ve rode it a lot. I still recently bought a Specialized Sirrus. I don’t know what I was thinking. It’s a bit lighter than the roam, but rides rougher. I like the riding position on the Giant better, but I think if I put a riser(?) on the Sirrus’ handlebars it will help. I ride at least to work and or to the gym everyday and every other day I ride for exercise. I’ve been house hunting and I use my exercise time to cover the neighborhoods that I’d like to live in. I almost always grab the Roam over the Sirrus.
Old 09-06-19, 09:53 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

You're on a shopping spree!
Old 09-07-19, 04:40 PM
FunCommuter