Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-19, 01:47 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
I'm setting up my 30yo xc bike for gravel and am finding there aren't many 26" "gravel" tires out there.
Gah! I have some! Bike's at home and I don't remember the name! They're 2.1 gravel racing tires, I remember that. I'll check when I get home.

ETA: Kenda Small Block 8. Really nice, quite grippy.

Last edited by Korina; 08-08-19 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-08-19, 01:55 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
30 years ago this was a cutting-edge xc bike (Tange Prestige road tubing, lugs, etc. Very light). Last weekend I built it up with stuff from the parts bin and the coop, thinking to use it as an allroad/gravel bike. I'd forgotten what a great bike it is. Time to replace the 200 gm road bars with something more substantial but other than that it's just right.
Likes For rando_couche:
Old 08-11-19, 11:55 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jskita
It WAS sort of black chrome. Sadly, I set it up with swept bars for an exchange student and he's now it's new owner. I always wanted a 26 incher like that but doubt I'd build another.
Well, if you ever do, and want another black chrome one, I can recommend the 1986 Schwinn Sierra. I built one up for my lady, as her tourer. It turned out real nice. It looks like I never took photos of the finished build, so it looks like I can avoid getting flamed for posting it here, as it's not drop bar!
Old 08-12-19, 03:00 PM
Nu2Miele

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
is that a lime green Davidson?

Hi all,

Is the lime green bike a Davidson? I can't make out what it is.

I have a street steed built up from a 88 Fisher Montare (under stay U brake), XT derailleurs , Bontrager BC-X rims (26"), LX hubs, DX thumbies, Diacomp SS4 levers, Selle Italia Lycra recovered, Specialized slicks. I had intended to do a drop bar conversion, but couldn't resolve issues with new Tecktro levers, a new road bar, and some Shimano barcons.

All the bikes presented here are an inspiration.
Old 08-15-19, 11:27 PM
Zestiquant

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Looking to do one of these conversions myself. I've got this a hybrid Specialized bike lying around and a 2x10 sram apex groupset not currently in use and was wondering if the conversion would work well with the frame I have. Thanks for any insight!

Edit: Need a few more posts to actually post pictures, but here's the link if it's allowed: imgur.com/gallery/YS4EwGk
Old 08-16-19, 07:27 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by Zestiquant
Looking to do one of these conversions myself. I've got this a hybrid Specialized bike lying around and a 2x10 sram apex groupset not currently in use and was wondering if the conversion would work well with the frame I have. Thanks for any insight!

Edit: Need a few more posts to actually post pictures, but here's the link if it's allowed: imgur.com/gallery/YS4EwGk
I don't see why not. Just as long as you get the fitment to your liking, it should be a good one.
Old 08-16-19, 09:08 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts

You are at step 1: find a good donor. You have completed that step! Thats the step that costs the most money.

Now measure the rear drop out spacing and compare to the wheel you plan to use. Front derailleur clamp diameters also vary a lot, can be shimmed if they are too large. Basically look at the donor parts and see how they attach, and see if those attachments match you're hybrid.

Dump the suspension seat post if you have one on that hybrid and buy a $15 replacement on eBay or Amazon (get the right OD of course).
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 08-16-19, 02:29 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by t_e_r_r_y
finally got the last piece of the puzzle for my univega in the mail this morning (that 94bcd chainring took forever to show up). i have some fine adjustment to do, and now that the bike is "done", i need to start saving for racks and lights and bags and things, but i'm excited to take it on it's first long ride!

@t_e_r_r_y Sweet set up! Tell me about that stem set up you have. Is the Cigne stem mounted over a quill adapter? I'd have to get the adapters for the stem to fit my 25.4 mm Midge bars. Just curious why you chose the Cigne vs. something like a Nitto dirt drop? I definitely like the easy bar removal allowed by the Cigne but I'm curious as to how the height and bar reach distance varies between the two.
Old 08-16-19, 03:06 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_biker
@t_e_r_r_yIs the Cigne stem mounted over a quill adapter?.
That's a threadless steerer on that Surly fork.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 08-16-19, 04:21 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_biker
@t_e_r_r_y Sweet set up! Tell me about that stem set up you have. Is the Cigne stem mounted over a quill adapter? I'd have to get the adapters for the stem to fit my 25.4 mm Midge bars. Just curious why you chose the Cigne vs. something like a Nitto dirt drop? I definitely like the easy bar removal allowed by the Cigne but I'm curious as to how the height and bar reach distance varies between the two.
thanks! my alphina is 1 1/8 threadless, so i was going to have to go with something like this. i've always loved the look of an ld stem, and originally i wanted the crust version, but they were out of stock and a lot more expensive than the vo stem, so i just went with that. i'm happy with it! i had to wait until i had my cranks, seat post, and seat before i could cut my steerer tube down on the new surly fork to set the bar height, but once i cut the tube down it was all simple and straightforward.

i'm not sure how the bar reach and height varies between this stem and others, it's the only one i've had, but vo has all of the dimensions on their site. they have a longer reach version too, but this bike frame has a pretty good top tube length so i went with the shorter stem.
Old 08-17-19, 11:58 PM
Zestiquant

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
You are at step 1: find a good donor. You have completed that step! Thats the step that costs the most money.

Now measure the rear drop out spacing and compare to the wheel you plan to use. Front derailleur clamp diameters also vary a lot, can be shimmed if they are too large. Basically look at the donor parts and see how they attach, and see if those attachments match you're hybrid.

Dump the suspension seat post if you have one on that hybrid and buy a $15 replacement on eBay or Amazon (get the right OD of course).
The parts I'm planning on attaching include a braze-on front derailleur, which I'll probably need to find an adapter for. Anyway, thanks for the advice! Hopefully when I get started I can contribute a little to this thread
Old 08-18-19, 05:06 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
30 years ago this was a cutting-edge xc bike (Tange Prestige road tubing, lugs, etc. Very light). Last weekend I built it up with stuff from the parts bin and the coop, thinking to use it as an allroad/gravel bike. I'd forgotten what a great bike it is. Time to replace the 200 gm road bars with something more substantial but other than that it's just right.
As a tall guy myself, the proportions and fit on this look great. More (and slightly bigger) pictures?
Old 08-19-19, 01:21 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
In light of some recent rides having considerable sustained gradients...

...I decided that I'd like a gear lower than 24-28 for the particularly steep spots. So I replaced the cassette on my '84 Stumpy.

Previous:

11-13-15-18-21-24-28

New:

11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32

Chainrings stayed the same, 48-38-24. On gravel, it works great as a classic wide-range triple; on the road, it transforms into a 1.5-step-plus-granny arrangement. The extra cog gives me some bonus low-end without messing anything up. And by giving the middle ring a lower low-end, I shouldn't need to shift into the 24T as often; this is nice, because the 38->24 shift is pretty dramatic.

The new cassette raised the wrap to 45 teeth, and the Alivio M360 derailleur on the bike was looking pretty strained. So I replaced it with a similar-looking but longer-cage Alivio T4000.

I was worried about chain length, but a new 116T chain turned out to be exactly the right length out of the box. Super convenient!

The 8-speed cassette is wider than the 7-speed cassette was, so I had to remove the cassette spacer that had been on the freehub. The big cog is thus farther inboard than before. Unfortunately, this made the chain rub both the tire and fender when in the small-big combo.

So I moved the chainline outboard. And, since I had way more NDS clearance than I needed, I made the q-factor smaller at the same time.

The old bottom bracket had a 118mm spindle. The new one has a 115mm spindle...

...And a huge 4mm DS spacer.

I haven't dialed in the FD adjustment. The chain is intermittently dropping upon shifts to the small ring, and I'm having a hard time preventing it with shifting technique. But the shifting is otherwise very crisp. Since the lower run of the chain isn't getting stuck, I might try the lazy option and see if a simple chain keeper makes the problem disappear.

I'm also trying out a cockpit change. I switched to a very slightly longer stem to prevent my knees from hitting the bar tops when riding out of the saddle, and I also switched to a Nitto B115 handlebar; it has the same width in the drops as the previous bar, but the hooks have a bit of flare. Here's the bike in its old iteration:

And here is the new:

I'm contemplating moving the hoods up the bars a bit, but otherwise things seem pretty good.

Importantly, the bike's subtly-visible but explosively-present road attitude seems to be preserved. I've been mostly off the bike in the last month and a half due to achilles injury, so I'm not at my best, but I had a bit left in the tank yesterday when we reached pavement near the end of the ride. Someone went to the front and set a gentle 18mph cruise, but the RTP ELs roared against the mercy. I moved to the front, checked that everyone was on, and began to lift the pace. The speedometer responded to power. 19, 20, 21... keeping forearms level in the hoods wasn't as natural as with the old setup, but the hooks felt great. 22, 23, 24... the road was non-technical and the view was clear, I got into the phantoms. The new location of the tops perfectly balanced the forces, I was on the rivet at zero effort. 25... soon, only one person remained on my wheel. Excellent.

Last edited by HTupolev; 08-19-19 at 01:30 AM.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 08-19-19, 10:13 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Good stuff, @HTupolev. I'm trying to learn about chainlines now and I appreciate the pictures and descriptions.

Unrelated, I took just one photo during a 15-mile ride yesterday and thought it looked good enough to post here.

Likes For Squeeze:
Old 08-19-19, 01:20 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Importantly, the bike's subtly-visible but explosively-present road attitude seems to be preserved. I've been mostly off the bike in the last month and a half due to achilles injury, so I'm not at my best, but I had a bit left in the tank yesterday when we reached pavement near the end of the ride. Someone went to the front and set a gentle 18mph cruise, but the RTP ELs roared against the mercy. I moved to the front, checked that everyone was on, and began to lift the pace. The speedometer responded to power. 19, 20, 21... keeping forearms level in the hoods wasn't as natural as with the old setup, but the hooks felt great. 22, 23, 24... the road was non-technical and the view was clear, I got into the phantoms. The new location of the tops perfectly balanced the forces, I was on the rivet at zero effort. 25... soon, only one person remained on my wheel. Excellent.
i love it! i wish i had people to ride with. i'm running a 1x10 with a 36t on the front, in my highest gear(11/36) i'm doing low 20s on the tarmac, but i've been thinking about bumping it up to a 38t to get a little more out of it out on the road. riding solo all the time, tho, there's not much pushing me to go any faster.
Old 08-20-19, 05:21 PM
NocoRider

Bikes: 3 Frankenbikes (Stumpjumper, Karakoram, Trek 930), Fuso, Tarmac Pro, '72 Fuji Finest, Soma Saga, El Diente, Cannondale tandem, 2 mountain bikes, more...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Should you want/need wide gearing you'll need a mountain cassette which will also require moving to a mountain rear derailleur. Fortunately SRAM 10 speed road/mountain have the same cable pull so a 10spd mtn RD will work with the road brifters.

One gotcha with many 10spd RD's is they do not have a barrel adjuster for cable tension so you'll need to put one in-line.

Other gotcha's in building a frankenbike which mixes road and mountain parts.

- MTB's have a 5mm wider bottom bracket (68mm vs 73mm). This causes a bunch of issues...

- Road cranksets which have pre-assembled BB axles (aka typical 10 speed stuff) won't fit.

- Road FD's designed for a 2x setup may not have enough reach to push the chain onto the large chainring. A larger FD clamp plus a shim can be used to offset the road FD farther right to fix this problem.

- Cable pull of FD's is not well documented. So indexed shifting with a road shifter and MTB FD may be problematic.

- MTB cranksets have much smaller chainrings rings. This may cause shifting problems for a road FD which is designed for a 50 to 53 tooth chainring. My frankenbikes have large-ish cranksets for this purpose and I use large cassettes to get low gears.

If looking at vintage bikes, you'll do much better if you find steel as they can be cold-set (aka bent) to fix misalignment of the frame and also to accommodate the 135mm rear wheel needed for a 10spd cassette. For example I have a '89 Stumpjumper Comp which had 126mm rear wheel spacing. I pushed out each side 4.5 mm (ish) so it would fit the 135mm rear wheel with cassette. Aluminum doesn't like to be bent (it promotes failure). Titanium is really really hard to bend as it wants to spring back, but most Ti frames will have 135mm spacing. Carbon cannot be bent to a new shape and like Ti, most if not all carbon frames will have 135mm spacing.

Hope this helps,

Greg
Old 08-23-19, 02:35 AM
Manu431

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
Hi everybody.
I just finished to look at the 261 pages, where I grabbed some fantastic ideas.
Thanks to everybody posting such nice pictures of your hard work .

As I recently purchased a "new" daily bike for my son, I have now at disposal his old Scott arapahoe that he has used during the last 3 years (purchased 20€ at that time).
(the new bike is visible in this thread
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...e-caliper.html

I wanted at first to sell it again for the same price, but after thinking about it I could not resigned to do so, and I finally have decided to keep it and make a travel bike for my wife from it.
It will be an interesting and fun project , also to learn my son how to build a bike from A-Z .

We already tested the geometry and have a agreement on the new color
It means that almost 50% of the job is already done

I come back again with the result, probably only in some months !

Likes For Manu431:
Old 08-25-19, 09:26 PM
spedrunr

Bikes: Bianchi: '89 Celeste Campione d'Italia, '89 Celeste Incline, 80's Grizzly, 90's Volpe, Bridgestone(90's): CB-0, MB-3 Comp, Klein road, Cannondale road

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 10eroftheyear

The Fisher I'm working on....new stem should be here today at some point
That Salsa(?) bike on the left is cool
Old 08-31-19, 06:00 AM
AeroGut

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Not technically an MTB drop bar conversion, but I just finished building up a drop bar commuter from a late 90's flat bar hybrid. I got the bike essentially as a frame with wheels. It's a Bianchi Boardwalk chromoly frame. Here are the before and after pics:

Details:
Brifters, crank and front DR are from a 3x8 Sora group, but I switched the chainrings from 30/42/52 to 26/39/50
Rear DR is 90's Shimano STX MTB with nice long cage
Cassette is 11-34 8 spd. Combined with the triple chainrings, the gear ratio range is wide enough to cover just about any type of riding.
Brakes are Tektro CR720 cantilevers
Tires are 700x38. I think I still have clearance for fenders if I want to add them, though 35 mm tires would give me more room to work worth and be fine for just about any riding I do.

Issues:
I used a 113 mm BB spindle that I had used with the Sora crank on a road bike, and the chainline isn't optimized. When I'm in the middle chainring and shift to the last few small cogs, the chain rubs the inside of the big chainring. 118 mm is probably ideal, so I might change that in the future. For now, I just shift up to the big chainring sooner.
The seat tube is at the top end of the size range I would ride on a regular road bike. Factoring in the horizontal top tube, the higher BB, and the big tires, the standover is a bit higher than I'd like, but still manageable.
The top tube is much longer than typical on a road bike of comparable size (58 cm c-c for a 52 cm c-c seat tube), so the reach is a bit long too. I corrected that a bit with compact drop bars, and I still have room to shorten the stem if I want to bring it back more. I also put interrupter brake levers on so I can ride the tops more. But I have a long torso for my height, so starting long reach isn't bad. So far, I haven't found it uncomfortable as is.

All in all, I'm really happy with how it turned out. Very stable ride, but feels faster and more enjoyable than my current MTB with street tires (26x1.75) commuter.

Last edited by AeroGut; 08-31-19 at 06:06 AM. Reason: added details
Likes For AeroGut:
Old 08-31-19, 06:03 PM
Padgett

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Liked 66 Times in 24 Posts
Excited to see the results!
Old 09-09-19, 05:31 AM
Manu431

I already posted somewhere that I have decided to rebuild an old scott arapahoe as a travel bike with drop bar for my wife.
I put you some pictures to have an idea of the work in progress.
So far, I had the frame wet sanded + primary coat (anti rost) + 1 coat of paint.

I have decided to use paint can frame "spray bike", because I have never done that before
It is not as easy to use as in the "commercial" videos, but I must say that everyone can do it.
At the exception of two zone with imperfections which should be corrected, I am pretty satisfied of the result at the moment for an "amateur" job

That said, it remains some work ahead

I will now wet sand again the frame to eliminate some imperfections , and put a second layer of paint. Then a finishing transparent coat.

The original bike

Ready to paint (10 hours wet sanding)

The result so far after one coat of primar + 1 coat of paint ("Spray bike" - Clay hill)

Likes For Manu431:
Old 09-13-19, 01:57 AM
Manu431

some more update.
The frame is now painted with 3 coats (2 cans), and the name stickers have been applied (the light is direct from above, and this is why the stickers seems to be not very well applied on the second picture)
I will apply the clear coat this week end.

I will say that for a first attempt am doing such thing, I am until now very satisfied with the result.
There is some minor mistakes, nothing is perfect in this world, but all in one the frame is looking very nice and fullfill my expectations.
Not a professional result, but the best I could imagine before starting.

I just hope I will not ruin the result with the clear coat.

Just in case, because it is not very well documented on the web, a critical point with "spray bike" paint is the polishing of the frame .
After painting, it is very important (in my opinion ) to wait at least half an hour, and then slightly but carefully polish the frame with a soft piece of cloth.
It took me probably about 30 minutes of work with plenty of care, but after that the frame looks a lot better and already pretty shiny.
In my opinion, the render difference is huge with or without this polishing operation.

Old 09-13-19, 03:18 AM
hobbs1951
Velominatus

Bikes: 1986 SBDU Raleigh, 1984 Raleigh Corsa, 1980 Allin Stan Butler Special, 2 x late 1960s Roberts, 1978 Philbook, 1964 Allin Belgique, 1959 Allin Stan Butler Special, 1951 Higgins Plus Parfait, 1951 Hobbs of Barbican, 1913 Centaur Featherweight.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts

This is my drop 'bar project, a Ridgeback (bought last year - seller's photo) - Tange Prestige frame, Deore LX groupset. Bicycle not covered many miles but suffered a little in storage.

I paid £25 English Pounds for it.

Not quite sure how I'll proceed, suggestions welcome.

John
Old 09-13-19, 06:31 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbs1951
This is my drop 'bar project, a Ridgeback (bought last year - seller's photo) - Tange Prestige frame, Deore LX groupset. Bicycle not covered many miles but suffered a little in storage.

I paid £25 English Pounds for it.

Not quite sure how I'll proceed, suggestions welcome.

John
Great score!
Here is what I did with my pink Prestige frame.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 09-14-19, 03:01 AM
vp1337

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 33 Posts
Work in progress...

Likes For vp1337:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.