Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why do 50+'rs Bicycle?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Vote for your primary and secondary motivation for bicycling.
Choose one of 5. Primary reason is meeting personal achievement goals Choose 2ndary reason below.
0.69%
Primary reason is fitness. Now, please vote for your 2ndary reason below.
71.53%
Primary reason is competition. Now, please vote for your 2ndary reason below.
0.69%
Primary reason is personal time and/or fun Now, please vote for your 2ndary reason below.
26.39%
Primary reason is social interaction. Now, please vote for your 2ndary reason below.
0.69%
Please choose just one of this next five. Secondary reason is meeting personal achievement goals.
3.47%
Secondary reason is fitness
28.47%
Secondary reason is competition
6.25%
Secondary reason is personal time and/or fun.
56.94%
Secondary reason is social interaction.
5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Why do 50+'rs Bicycle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-06, 11:12 AM
BubbaDog
Mmmm, Blue Salsa....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
One of Gary's "peers!"
And that's why he doesn't invite his Dad over for weekend barbecues anymore ....

B'Dog
1998 Diamondback Outlook MTB
1990 Centurion Cavaletto 'Gaspipe Beater' Roadie
1978 Volkscycle 'Frankenbike' CroMo Tourer
Old 06-15-06, 01:52 PM
buelito
train safe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to paraphrase George Mallory-- "Because I CAN!"

train safe
Old 06-15-06, 02:39 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Voted; I find these difficult! Put 'fun' primary because when I re-started cycling at age 51 after a 25 year gap I was immediately (and I mean one ride!) re-hooked on that part of it. But, I re-started as a result of (potentially) scary wake-up call from annual physical -- the usual (chol. levels, heart stress, blah blah) -- however, I've put this as 'secondary' because (others of us??) I'm one of those who just CANNOT bring himself to engage in any form of 'exercise' unless it has a true 'game/sport' aspect; in other words, can't 'work out' for the sake of fitness, but can happily gain fitness incidentally if I can goof around to do so. Then, like another poster, I realized (doh!) that I could combine more of both of the above, save money, and assuage my environmental conscience by commuting. Consequence: what I hope is a (rest of) life-long addiction to all things cycling! (OK -- if being honest, love the machinery, too!)
Old 06-15-06, 02:55 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I started riding as a form of keeping the fitness that I had left after a 10 year old nearly beat me running up the road. Got in with a small group of likeminded souls and found that once I had got bike fit- I enjoyed it. So most of my riding- although mainly for fitness- was giving me a lot of enjoyment too. Still ride for fitness- with the enjoyment that goes with it- but have to set myself a personal achievement target that I wish to keep up each year. Most rides are taken with vigour to keep the training side up for those big achievement rides that I want to make.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-15-06, 05:40 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
You left out one: To answer the question, "Why do 50+ year olds bicycle?", a good secondary reason would be, "To oggle young, fit female cyclists."

Hey look, man does not live by cycling alone.
Old 06-15-06, 07:18 PM
cruzMOKS
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy cycling therefore I stay with it to get fit. So enjoyment comes before fitness.
Commuting would be the third reason for cycling. I would not commute if I didn’t enjoy
it.
Old 06-15-06, 08:01 PM
lhc

Bikes: Electra Townie 21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can actually smell the world around you. The pine trees being harvested, new spring growth, lilac bushes, horses, even dead skunks. Also, my son didn't believe his mom was too old to start biking again. He's a jock(football, wrestling, rugby) and loves biking. His encouragement did the trick!
Old 06-15-06, 08:23 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I started riding because it was more convenient than driving. Now that I have been commuting for eight years, I think that fitness is now my primary motivation. I save about $2,000 a year by riding, but I'd still put "fun" ahead of "saving money". If car parking spots had been more plentiful and driving more pleasant here, I would not have started. What gets you started and what keeps you going can be very diferent.

So:
1 Fitness
2 Fun
3 Convenience
4 Saving money

There are several possible motivations that were not in the poll.

Paul
Old 06-15-06, 08:24 PM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did NOT notice anybody mention "Escaping Reality".
I can assure you that a 28 day bike trip at your maximum capability is that. It will really take your mind off things you rather not think about.
Old 06-15-06, 08:57 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
At this age, if it isn't fun or life sustaining, I'm not doing it. Cycling is both to me. Additionally, it solves my need to tinker. Part of the fun for me is finding an old bike, cleaning and restoring it back to a servicable piece of equipment.
Old 06-15-06, 10:34 PM
jwbnyc
Señor Wences

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My primary motivation for cycling is... motivation.

I ride to get places.

My secondary motivation is because it is enjoyable.

I ride almost as many miles on my days off as I do on workdays.
Old 06-15-06, 10:56 PM
Big Paulie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
I did NOT notice anybody mention "Escaping Reality".
I can assure you that a 28 day bike trip at your maximum capability is that. It will really take your mind off things you rather not think about.
Isn't it possible that your incredible 28 day bike trip was reality, and the rest of it (besides your family and beloved friends) is a fabricated crock? Including your (and our) mortality?
Old 06-16-06, 07:28 AM
will dehne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
Isn't it possible that your incredible 28 day bike trip was reality, and the rest of it (besides your family and beloved friends) is a fabricated crock? Including your (and our) mortality?
Yeah, my thoughts exactly.
-----------------------
Darn it, it costs money, ~$200/day.
Old 06-16-06, 07:59 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I am wondering why the choice, "meeting personal achievement goals " was not chosen by anyone as their primary motivation for bicycling? It was chosen by only 5 folks for their secondary motivation.

Yet, we have had a number of threads such as,

Time trial personal best tainted

Another Goal Met

At 68, I rode my age

and similar, which would indicate that a number of folks are very goal/achievement oriented.

In fact, I placed it first on purpose, as I thought it would be selected a lot.

Was it how I worded the selection?

Or are the concepts of riding for fun or fitness so broad that is is totally inclusive?

Help me out!
Old 06-16-06, 05:09 PM
bobkat
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keeps me walking and fairly pain free following back surgeries, a stroke, etc. If I don't do at least 10 - 15 miles per day on my bent I sieze up. Gets the endorphins flowing! Also for a lot of fun and personal satisfaction.
Not surprised on the racing. The local bike club here seems to be 98% racing and "hammer groups" but not many over 50's if any, into that.
Old 06-16-06, 06:09 PM
Makeitso
Desert Rat

Bikes: GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I picked fun first and fitness second. When I looked in the garage and seen the bicycle I used to ride all the time sitting in there and realized it had been sitting in there for about 12 years since I last rode it, I figured it was time I sold it or started riding it again. I justify all the money I've spent since then by knowing that it will keep me in much better shape. When I look in the mirror I can tell this is true, my wife agrees.
Old 06-16-06, 06:23 PM
stercomm
On the road again

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big Paulie, Gary said peer group not pee group.

I am coming up on one year of getting seriously back into cycling after about 3 years of only sporadic riding, use to ride a lot. Fitness is the key for me; have dropped 20 pounds as of this week, got cholesterol down to 190 from 236, got blood pressure down to 108/65 got triglycerides well down and below being any sort of issue. Plus I can still drink wine and beer and not gain any weight. Only issue I have now is if i don't ride for 3 days I get real cranky. I also love the time alone to think and enjoy nature's beauty and "interact" with the steel machines, had a dump truck try a dust off on me today
Old 06-16-06, 09:11 PM
will dehne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I am wondering why the choice, "meeting personal achievement goals " was not chosen by anyone as their primary motivation for bicycling? It was chosen by only 5 folks for their secondary motivation.

Or are the concepts of riding for fun or fitness so broad that is is totally inclusive?

Help me out!
OK Denver, here is my read on that.
Number one by far is to be happy and healthy. Everything else pales in comparison. What good is achieving a goal if that makes you sick or damages your joints or ruins a relationship or causes financial disaster?
I had to consider all that when I picked a cross country ride as the least potential damage.
So, why pick a goal at all? Well, we human beings need MOTIVATION. Without that we get lazy and slow down. Competitive spirit, group behavior and boot camp mentality all help to keep us motivated. But do not loose sight of the fact why you do it------Stay happy and Healthy-------
Old 06-16-06, 09:22 PM
Gary W. Graley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fitness/weight loss, plus I trick myself into exercising At lunch time I do my errands on the
bike, which turned 30 yrs old this year, old timey Schwinn Super le Tour 12.2, I have two friends
at work, both have very nice bikes, and both are in way better shape and a lot younger, they
have taken to bringing their bikes in for a ride at lunch too, but, they ride up this ridiculously
STEEP road, no way I can climb that beast yet, maybe by the end of summer but each day I
head up it as far as I can go and then back down and through town to do my errands, bank
post office, movie rental, and then back to the office, just over 10 miles in about 40 minutes
with stops, so it gets me going, turned 52 this year, winter was not good to me so I have about
40 pounds to drop and the bike will get me there, I was in that good a shape last summer but I
let the winter waist me away, but I'm back on track and riding well.
G2
Old 06-18-06, 07:02 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
We now have 100 voters. A pretty darn good response, despite how some of you "deride" my polls!

The Verdict:

If I use a shamelessly unscientific statistical paradigm and assign 2 points for the "Primary" votes and 1 point for the "secondary" votes, it comes out like this:

Fitness ------------------169
Personal Time/Fun --- 112
Competition -------------- 9
Personal Achievement-- 7
Social Interaction ------- 4
Old 06-20-06, 11:53 PM
greywolf
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
number one commuting
2 personal time
Old 06-21-06, 08:49 PM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I chose fitness, then fun. Fitness was always the main reason, by a wide margin. Being so much fun just made it an easier fitness plan to stick with, than any other which comes to mind.
Old 06-21-06, 08:59 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Fitness was my main reason, the personal time/fun was my second choice in that I could pedal during my free time - ie no need to go to the gym at a set time.... And it was the closest form of exercise to motorcycling! I've lost most of the weight I wanted to, and have actually had fun while doing it the last few times I've been out. Before that pedaling was a means to an end, and I looked forward to the end of each ride when I could quit. But now I'm able to go farther and faster, and have begun to be able to experience some of the fun I had motorcycling while on my bicycle, just at a much slower pace and without the feeling of connectedness that comes with riding a vehicle you've maintained (you gearheads will know what I'm talking about).
One of my fun rides was when I pedaled over to my girlfriends house (about 5 miles one way) and we went and pedaled some more before I pedaled home. A great date, and some good exercise too.
Old 06-25-06, 12:09 PM
NeilM
Legs sore, butt sorer

Bikes: Old Bianchi Main Street, new Dynamic Tempo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fitness and transportation/not having to fill the tank every week.
Old 06-25-06, 03:13 PM
AshevilleFusion

Bikes: RANS Fusion, Ross Mt. Whitney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If "fun" had subcategories, I would've specified "Time Travel."

Lemme 'splain. From a rational standpoint, my RANS Fusion is geared too tall, period. Up here in the NC mountains I could use a lower low, and even on the middle chainring I can still spin up to about 30 mph going downhill. My ex-computer-programmer logical analysis says that's sufficient.

However, the big ring lets me enter some kind of steep-descent Twilight Zone wherein I'm sitting straight upright and pedaling, and going 40+ mph by the computer. This absurd-but-delightful state of affairs temporarily recalibrates my age from 58 to about 13. Even with my adult part still watching for traffic etc, I'd say that qualifies as "Time Travel" :-)

- Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.