Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding in Southern Connecticut... Help.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 07:41 AM
roadracer13
BianchiBeaatch!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am going to be in Stamford, CT tomorrow with my bike. I have friday and perhaps Satruday to ride. Does anyone know places to ride?
Old 09-06-06, 08:42 AM
JoeOxfordCT
JoeWolcottCT

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know the Stamford area that well but in general I would say, "head north young man".

Kent, New Milford, Gaylordsville.....all those areas just north of you have great roads with plenty of hills !

You can poke around Routeslip.com for routes but I did not see any for Stamford.
https://www.routeslip.com/findroutes....tates&state=CT
Old 09-06-06, 08:47 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by roadracer13
I am going to be in Stamford, CT tomorrow with my bike. I have friday and perhaps Satruday to ride. Does anyone know places to ride?
there are group rides in New Haven, not exactly close I know, but something.

info here

otherwise there's rides out of bethel i believe, although there's got to be something in the stamford/norwalk area, although i don't know of any off hand.
Old 09-06-06, 08:50 AM
JoeOxfordCT
JoeWolcottCT

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
there are group rides in New Haven, not exactly close I know, but something.

info here

otherwise there's rides out of bethel i believe, although there's got to be something in the stamford/norwalk area, although i don't know of any off hand.

Botto,

Have you done any of the Sleeping Giant rides before ?

I hear they're supposed to be pretty fast....
Old 09-06-06, 09:44 AM
Doid23

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, 1989 Nishiki International, Specialized Stumpjumer M2 Hardtail, ProFlex 856 Full Suspension

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadracer13
Lots of great riding around Stamford, just an absolutely beautiful area with rolling terrain dotted with horse farms, reservoirs, lakes, rock walls, etc. OK shoulders on the roads and tolerant drivers. Pretty congested in downtown Stamford and Greenwich, so I would suggest you focus on riding west of Stamford. In general though, if you stay away from Rte. 7 in Connecticut, you'll be OK, even the busier roads are OK to bike on. Two main ways to get West, Long Ridge Road (Rte.104) or High Ridge Road (137). They run parrallel, and both drop you off in Pound Ridge/ Bedford Area, so I will focus on High Ridge Road, if your coming from Long Ridge I'll mention where it intersects some routes. You can also head North from Stamford into New Canaan/ Darien area, but I am not sure about how to get there from Stamford by bike (I am coming from New York, so would come East to get to both)

From High Ridge Road, you will run into the intersection of 137 and 124, where you can (1)head towards Pound Ridge (right onto 124 before you get to the Town Park), through town of Pound Ridge, which leads directly into New Canaan. Lots of side roads to explore, as long as you keep your bearings to the main roads, you should be OK. Or you can (2) stay on 137 for another mile and come to the intersection of 172, which if you bear left will bring you into Bedford Village (and which will pass the intersection of Long Ridge Road (104) from Stamford at the old Mobil station). From the Village, you can keep heading south for some good rides on 22 into Armonk or left on Bedford/ Greenwich road into Greenwich, but I would suggest bearing right through the middle of Bedford Village, and take Rte. 22/ Cantitoe Road into Katonah area, or Rte. 121 through Cross River Reservoir.

Anyway, difficult to give you all of the options, if you tell me what kind of ride/ distance your looking for, I can suggest a route. D
Old 09-06-06, 09:56 AM
roadracer13
BianchiBeaatch!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is great! Thanks! RR13