Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale R500, age and value

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-02, 06:09 PM
Gary W. Graley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an opportunity to buy a used Cannondale R500 triple, has shifters on the down tube, has the brake cable going across the top tube? Question can that be moved?

The bike has had one crash, hence the seller wanting to part with it. Colour is red with the white Cannondale logo.

RX components, the person is very nice, but lives a long ways away, California and I live in Pennsylvania. What would be the best way to get that rascal over to me?

I wondered if calling a local bike shop out there and see if they would package it up in a used bike box?

Age is mid 90s for the bike, what do you guys/gals think the value would be for this?

He took a bunch of pictures but there was nothing notable except for dirty brake hoods and a few paint scratches which doesn't bother me much.

What do you think?
Thanks in advance,
G2
Old 07-22-02, 06:15 PM
orguasch
riding a Pinarello Prince

Bikes: Pinarello, Prince and an FP5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
take aclose look at the bottom bracket, head tube and the seat tube if there is no crack on them and the price is right then go for it, how much did he say he's asking for it?
Old 07-22-02, 06:39 PM
pokey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hard to look at when it is in Ca. and he is in Pa........Why would you want to move the brake cable routing?That is the traditional location. Biggest potential problem for possible upgrades is rear dropout spacing.If it's 7 speed it could be 130mm and that is what is needed for 8,9, or 10 speeds in the rear. If it's 126mm,Al does not like to be bent.One crash may have been one too many.Ask if it has a replaceable rear derailer hanger.I would not touch it if it doesn't.IF he is sellin it, it is his responsibility to ship it.Used boxes can be had from LBS and UPS or Fed EX works. Have him insure it for at least the sales price.If it's 7 speed and 126 droout spacing I wouldn't want it. Maybe $250-300 if in great shape and 130mm spacing.Better if its 8 speed but not worth alot more with downtubes and rx-100.
Old 07-22-02, 06:46 PM
Gary W. Graley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep I'm in PA and he's in CA, the pics are at my work right now so I can't tell right now how many sprockets are on the rear, he's asking for $150 plus shipping, the pics look great but wasn't sure what the price for one that vintage would be, the rear drops I didn't see replaceable things as I recall from the pics.

The reason I asked about the Brake routing across the top of the top tube is the bike is going to be probably a slightly taller frame and that extra cable going across the top instead beneath the top tube seems to just add more to hit things I don't want hit...

G2
Old 07-22-02, 08:05 PM
pokey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$150 is not bad,but if the bike is too big and does not fit it is no deal.
Old 07-22-02, 08:44 PM
Gary W. Graley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I realize that, from the pics he sent, it looks pretty much the same size as the 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour that I currently own, otherwise I'd not even attempt it, that's why I wondered about why they routed the brake cable on the very top of the top tube, when most that I've seen they route it beneath or along the side of the top tube, can the fittings be moved to the bottom? They look like black plastic fittings along the top of the tube, not sure how they are held in place....

Would shipping be more than $50 to send it across the states?
Thanks for the help so far,
G2
Old 07-23-02, 07:28 AM
pokey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not know how you can tell size from pictures.Get some real comparative measurements!,like standover, seattube C-C and toptube C-C. $50 would be close for UPS. The cable guides on the cdale are fixed. You could possibly grind them flush and cob something with zip ties.

Last edited by pokey; 07-23-02 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-23-02, 08:45 AM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found that FedEx Ground is usually the cheapest for sending bikes. If you go to their website, they have a "rate calculator", all you need is the guys zip code and yours and the approx size of the bike box (call your LBS for this) I calculate about 40x30x10 and a total weight of 30 lbs for road bikes and 35 lbs -40 lbs for mtn bikes.

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 07-23-02, 04:51 PM
Gary W. Graley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a scan of one of the photos he sent me of this bike, I tried stradling a Trek 1000 that was a 58cm and could just do that so the 54cm should be ok...

The drop outs have replacements and it's a 7 gear...

edited to add that it says 3.0 along the side near the derailer, does that mean a certain year or model?

G2

Last edited by Gary W. Graley; 07-23-02 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-23-02, 06:22 PM
daniel_cox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it says 3.0 along the side near the derailer, does that mean a certain year or model?
I believe that the "3.0" is the weight of the frame. I have a Cannondale of a similar vintage that I upgraded twice and it is still going strong. Great frame, but very stiff and somewhat unforgiving on rougher roads. As for the price, it is a bargain if it is the correct size. Good luck.
Old 07-23-02, 06:30 PM
Gary W. Graley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Daniel, I contacted an LBS out near where this fellow lives to see if they ever packed and shipped bikes out, he said that they have packed bikes for people, charge $15 using an old shipping container from a bike that came in, so I think I'll get in touch with the bike seller when he comes back from vacation and get it worked out to have that bike shop pack the bike up for travel...

I called Cannondale and asked what the top tube height would be on this model and it was about 31" from ground to top of the top tube so that will fit me for a stand over height and the top tube length looks close to what I'm riding now so with lots of luck I may be on this bike second week in August! I hope!
G2
Old 07-23-02, 06:44 PM
pokey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3.0 was the model and also the CLAIMED weight of the frame.It didn't come close.Hope the fit is closer.

Last edited by pokey; 07-23-02 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-24-02, 08:55 PM
Gary W. Graley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by pokey
3.0 was the model and also the CLAIMED weight of the frame.It didn't come close.Hope the fit is closer.
I'm with you Pokey, counting on it being a nice addition, something to ride when I get home at night or on the weekends as well, as I leave my Schwinn at work for my errands at lunch time...

The fellow is getting back from vacation the end of this month, so it'll be probably the second week of August before I set foot on it, need to get some shoes that will work on those Look pedals,

Any recommendations regarding shoes that work with those?
G2